German WWII assault rifle turned in

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

German WWII assault rifle turned in

Post by Panzerfaust »

A German Sturmgewehr 44, the first assault rifle was turned in at a gun surrender program. Luckily, the cops knew what it was and it sounds like it is going to be saved. I'm guessing the gun must have been registered.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/va ... ories.html
heviarti

Re: German WWII assault rifle turned in

Post by heviarti »

Yeah, smart cops... apparently you can 'fire 500 rounds in minutes' with it.

Apparently 'ammunition would have to be especially made for this gun'.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/c-49-792 ... -ammo.aspx they make this ammo especially for weapons chambered in 7.92 Kurz. Like the STG44.

I'm really curious what is so bad about it's condition? If it needs more than a little oiled and the barrel and chamber swabbed, i'd be really surprised.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

heviarti wrote: I'm really curious what is so bad about it's condition? If it needs more than a little oiled and the barrel and chamber swabbed, i'd be really surprised.
I was thinking the same thing,looks pretty darn good to me.
It has been a while but wasn't there a scene in "Force 10 From Navarone" where the Germans used this rifle? Maybe the part where they hopped on the train?

However I still like to believe the Winchester lever was the first assault rifle 8)
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

When you read it you'l call me stupid... when you research it you'll nominate me for the bald fat guy's job. The winchester lever action was the first rifle to be fully automatic. Seriously. It was muzzle blast operated by a flapper valve with a rod connected to the lever. I saw a pic in american rifleman.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
ZeroPage

Post by ZeroPage »

heviarti wrote:When you read it you'l call me stupid... when you research it you'll nominate me for the bald fat guy's job. The winchester lever action was the first rifle to be fully automatic. Seriously. It was muzzle blast operated by a flapper valve with a rod connected to the lever. I saw a pic in american rifleman.
And constructed by the prophet of rapid fire himself.
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."
-Lao Tzu