Lost priority mail, any advice?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sicboy13

Lost priority mail, any advice?

Post by sicboy13 »

Good evening, all - I have to vent, or I will go insane. This seemed like good a place as any.

I bought an item from a gentleman on 10/27/10. He shipped it 2-3 day priority mail on 10/28/10 with delivery confirmation (not insured). The tracking site shows it accepted & departed (his city), TX on 10/28/10. It has not been seen nor scanned since. The site said it was estimated to be delivered on 11/1/10. It is now 11/5/10 and I have nothing. I have pretty much made calling the post office my 2nd job since all this began. I've spoken with my local post office, the TX post office it mailed from, the national call center, consumer affairs, and the postal investigations dept. :roll:

I had to wait until 5 days passed until they would even consider it "late". That came and went on Wednesday morning, 11/3/10. I had 2 different "cases" created, and was told on each that I would recieve an email or call back within 2 days. Well, today came, and no call backs, or emails. I contacted the 800 # again, and was told my cases had been closed. I asked what resolution they had since they were so nice as to "close" my cases??? I was told I had already been advised to file a Mail Theft report with Postal Investigations and that was that. What a joke! I've filed that report, and spoke with a person there today, who sent me a MRC form (Mail Recover Center). For anyone unfamiliar with the MRC, that is the postal graveyard in GA where they ship things that are mislabled, broken, fallen out of boxes, etc. So basically, I was told there is nothing that can be done.

I was in contact with the seller via email. This was not thru an auction site, I just got a tip that his store had what I was looking for, so I emailed him. He sent me pics, I sent him money. My real question here is: When do I have the right to be legitimately upset with the seller? The seller quit responding to my emails after Wednesday. I have kept him in the loop with everything I have been doing, taking very good care to be polite, courtious, and not at all bothersome. (unless you count an email a day, bothersome. I sure don't, he has $155 of my money). I told him I would give this 2 additional weeks to arrive, but then I would expect a refund. He has not responded. The seller also happens to own a legitimate business which sells the same products in a storefront, and online. I don't want to call him out just yet, but I'm already furious, both at the post office, and at the thought I'm being blown off or ignored. Thoughts?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
redeye

Re: Lost priority mail, any advice?

Post by redeye »

I think that this could get ugly but t should nt have to. I will play devils advocate here and say that the seller did what he was sposed to do and shipped the items thru the said method . the items are out of his control then and it is no longer his resposibility from that point on. but I will also say that if there was insurance offered on the items then it was your obligation to buy said ins. as i explained in our earlier pms there are certain restrictions with this type of deal and you can only "poke the bear " so hard before it is possible to get bitten. I hate it that you are out the items and cash.If I was the seller I would prolly offer to split the differance with you and send you half as a partil refund but I also feel the seller is in no way obligated to do so either I am just of a mindset that what goes around comes around and try to do whats right most of the time. Who knows maybe the package is stuck behind the spare tire in the back of the mail truck? it still may show up be patient but remember that we take risks when we try to get the toys we love so sometimes "ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances" I do hope that it gets resolved and hope that the seller will be more resposive in this matter .I will also say that in my experiance i have sent and received hndreds of items using the exact method and neer had any problems . knock on wood .
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

It once took almost a month for me to get a Priority Mail Package. Just hang on for a while. It will most likely show up. Of course there was also the time I got a Priority Mail package that was emptied by someone other than me before delivery...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IF, the seller sent it Priority and gave you the tracking number, legally and morally his job is DONE.
If you didn't get anything or a damaged/open package it is between you and the carrier.
If you got a package that was well sealed but empty you may have a valid complaint with the seller - but that is VERY hard to substanciate :(
A lost package ALWAYS is a bummer but, stuff does happen :(
Sellers always should put clear and valid adresses AND return adresses on packages but, for understandable reasons some don't so if, it doesn't make the buyers address it returns to ???? :roll:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I appreciate your replies so far, and here are my additional thoughts.

No insurance was offered. On the other hand, I didn't ask for it either. I guess I see it as my side of the street is clean. I paid him.
I've scoured the internet out of frustration, and most peoples thoughts I've read on other (unrelated forums) state the sellers responsibility ends when the buyer recieves the item, not when they drop it in the mail. That is just opinion, but I tend to agree. If I sold some items and they got lost in transit, I'd have no choice but to make good somehow. But that is me, I like to think I'm a good person. I know this guy has no power over the post office, but a big HOWEVER, is this guy owns a business which sells the same type of items via the same methods. Both in person thru his store, and online. I think that puts this in a different category as a seller. I'm purposfully withholding info because I'm not about to trash talk him on an open internet forum until I'm 100% sure he makes no attempt to contact me or even offer to split the loss. I think I at least deserve an email from said guy, and nothing since Wednesday. If I ordered a towel from target.com, and it never arrived, I'd only expect them to make it right. Maybe I'm outta line there.

I would be grateful to have the package just arrive so I could shut up about it, and just spend the next few weeks feeling like an idiot for complaining so much, but that really seems slim to me. One of my big character defects is negativity, but I like to think of it as "conditioned reality"... I've come to learn that if it looks screwed up, feels screwed up, and you think it's screwed up, well.... you get my drift... :wink:

I know whining isn't going to help at all, but I just wanted some thoughts on when to get serious with the seller about my request to refund, and if anyone has any similar stories, especially ones with happy endings, please share... I'm using this as a "group therapy" thread :lol:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

As Mr. redeye and Mr. Vagrant said, the seller has met his obligation by mailing your item Priority Mail w/tracking. It would be GREAT if he would re-ship or offer a refund, but you have absolutely no right to expect him to.

I'm sure he quit responding to you because you bugged the hell out of him every day about something over which he had no control. Your beef is entirely with the USPS!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
redeye

Post by redeye »

the seller may be out of town on vacation or other biznez too so give him the benefit of the doubt till it is eveident that he will not respond then make your decisions about how to proceed,also remember that the way you act can affect the way others in future dealings will treat you too. I know it sux to lose something but it does happen and the guy that acts the most like a gentleman always wins out in the end . good luck with this .by the way i have no idea who the seller is i am just slinging my thoughts out there .
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

JerrBear wrote:I'm sure he quit responding to you because you bugged the hell out of him every day about something over which he had no control. Your beef is entirely with the USPS!
So you consider emailing a business owner about a lost product "bugging the hell" out of them? Wow. I guess I'm just an old fashioned lil Sprite :(

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I am also of the thought that once it is sent and tracking info confirmed it is in the system, then the seller is off the hook. At least I would feel I was. Redeye seems to have hinted about something you should consider carefully while you rant to the USPS. If you bought what we all think you did, then I would not go so crazy about bugging them. You did not use UPS, Fedex, or another PRIVATE carrier right? You used the USPS owned by the Federal Government with strict well enforced laws about sending certain items, that just last year fined Syderco over $400,000 for the same thing? Think.....
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Here scroll down to Title 18:

http://www.knife-expert.com/fed-swb.txt
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

Well, someone can mail me whatever they want, doesnt mean I'm responsible for it, the seller is. I'm not worried about that. I've never mentioned what was shipped, you can all infer, but this is the "off topic" thread, so it could be anything :wink:

That being said, I am going to be the bigger man here. I personally guarantee anything I ever sell or ship to arrive, or I would make it right. I'm very easy to deal with. Call me old fashioned, or just decent... Maybe I'm "new school", but does replying to an email really constitute being "bugged the hell out of"?

Anyway, no matter what I do or say, I am apparently coming off like the jerk here. I'm baffled at that :?

Someone mentioned before I should watch what I say, or people may not deal with me in the future. Well, if me speaking up about sellers that don't back up their shipments scares them away, I don't think I'm missing out on anything, except possible headaches.

regardless, thanks for reading.

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Just an FYI for those who think the sender is the only one responsible for what is sent, here is what is written within Title 18 to show you are wrong:

Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be
delivered by mail, according to the direction thereon, or at any place at which it is
directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, anything declared
nonmailable by this section, unless in accordance with the rules and regulations
authorized to be prescribed by the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be
delivered by mail, according to the direction thereon or at any place to which it is
directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, anything declared
nonmailable by this section, whether or not transmitted in accordance with the rules
and regulations authorized to be prescribed by the Postal Service, with intent to kill or
injure another, or injure the mails or other property, shall be fined not more than
$10,000 or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Whoever is convicted of any crime prohibited by this section, which has resulted in the
death of any person, shall be subject also to the death penalty or to imprisonment for
life.

Finally US Postal Inpsectors are federal agents and lieing to them is a felony ( as in I did not order that when there are emails showing you did. The most recent terror suspect arrested last week was not charged with terrorism but rather lieing to a federal agent about going to a training camp....
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

sicboy13 wrote: So you consider emailing a business owner about a lost product "bugging the hell" out of them?
Every jimpin' dayness? Hell YES!
sicboy13 wrote:I guess I'm just an old fashioned lil SPRITE
Well, well, well... What have we here? I guess that expains a LOT!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

Jerrbear, I am NOT Sprite. I was just making a comparison to that's how I feel I'm coming across, that's not what I want, believe me, I'm 100% self-aware that sometimes I'm a little tenacious... but, Please, allow me to make the jokes here. :D

I came here asking for thoughts and advice, I appreciate your reply. Thank you for your feedback, Jerrbear and everyone. I guess it's hard for me sometimes, as I'm literally on a computer from the time I wake up, all thru work, then usually all nite in some form or another. I personally use email about 200% more than virtually any other form of communication. I didn't realize that some folks really consider it a chore to answer an email. I'm not being snide, I'm serious. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Sh*t happens, and this time the sh*t happened.... to me. Part of the price we pay, right?

I ain't trying to make no enemies here. I like this forum, most people I've dealt with here are pretty friendly. I plan to stick around, that is unless I'm going to prison now :lol: :roll: :lol:

I'll let this die in the corner now :oops:

Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Sicboy,

I'm sure the majority of collectors here (especially me), have had their horror stories with shipping, and the USPS is certainly not excluded. A $155 purchase, I would have spent a few extra $ for insurance. We have all learned our lessons the hard way, and your plight is just another sad story in a long frustrating list of sad stories. Hopefully, you will see your package soon, but if not, the loss is on you, not the seller.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson