Electronic Publishing, Big Brother, and Revisionism

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Phil Elmore

Electronic Publishing, Big Brother, and Revisionism

Post by Phil Elmore »

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=103414

"...Remove that physical element, render the entire publishing industry digital, and what have you got? The citizen is left with text files in the ether, books that, when summoned to and downloaded for his or her iPod, Kindle, Zune, or whatever, could be subject to change at the source, at the location from which the files are served and authorized. What is to stop an increasingly controlling government – or a publishing authority attempting to curry favor with that government – from doing so? Nothing, if the "books" we read are only zeroes and ones..."
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Electronic Publishing, Big Brother, and Revisionism

Post by natcherly »

Good ol' Geoge O. could not have imagined how this development would have impacted the work of the Ministry of Truth. Global find/replace and a few rewrites to replace the laborious and time consuming paperbased process dedicated to the propostion:

He who controls the present, controls the past.
He who controls the past, controls the future
Milu

Post by Milu »

We could always become fahrenheit 451 (the book, the film - titled after the burning point of paper) and the book people.

What book would you choose? I think I'd choose Shibumi by Trevanian but I'd want to edit it a little :wink:
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Milu wrote:... I think I'd choose Shibumi by Trevanian but I'd want to edit it a little :wink:
Trevanian took great umbrage with those who messed with his work. His reaction to what Hollywood did to the Eiger Sanction is illustrative. Needless to say, Shibumi never appeared in a Readers Digest Condensed Book collection.

For a compact yet revealing commentary on what is going down these days, I would pick Animal Farm, another George Orwell classic. Lots of fun fitting current politicos to the the characters in that book.
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

But I liked The Eiger Sanction.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Phil Elmore wrote:But I liked The Eiger Sanction.
Me too; however, Mr. T did not. Wholly predictable given his uncompromising and hyper critical world view. One wonders just what he was expecting after getting that big check from an institution that represented many of the things he found distressing in modern society.