Smith and Wesson "Tactical Pen"

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Phil Elmore

Smith and Wesson "Tactical Pen"

Post by Phil Elmore »

Taylor Cutlery, which holds the license for Smith and Wesson-branded knives and other accessories, has taken on the "tactical pen" market with a line of writing utensils that double as striking implements. The concept is simple enough: Any rigid cylinder roughly the span of your palm can be used with pocket-stick or yawara techniques. This is a proven method for enhancing the power and efficacy of your striking. A wooden or metal pocket stick cannot feel pain, doesn't break as easily as the bones of your hand, and concentrates the force of your strike into a smaller area, thus producing greater trauma.

Taylor's tactical pen is a 5.7-inch cylinder of CNC-machined 6061 T-6 aluminum. It tapers to a striking tip at the end opposite the pen cap. At its thickest, the pen is half an inch in diameter. Light grooves cover the cap portion, while flutes in the tapered body improve traction a little bit. The body is relatively slippery regardless, but not so slippery as to be unworkable.

The pocket clip is of steel and is marked with the Smith and Wesson logo. That's probably a liability. This pen won't pass for something ordinary or harmless thanks to its aggressive, fluted styling, but adding the licensed brand of a famous gun manufacturer guarantees that this pen isn't going to get through most security checkpoints (particularly those in Federal buildings and prior to boarding aircraft).

The pen cap is screwed firmly onto the body and stays in place during day-to-day carry. If you do choose to write something with your Smith and Wesson pen, the cap unscrews but does not really fit on the tapered rear of the pen body. It sort of does, by friction, but it's not going to stay there firmly.

The pen writes well enough, though it's nothing special. It accepts any standard Parker, Hauser, or other compatible Gigant 012 refill. The writing tip unscrews from the tapered barrel to provide access to the ink cartridge.

This pen is solid enough, heavy enough, and of the proper length to do some real damage when used as a pocket stick. The tapered point accentuates that potential. Unfortunately, however, it looks like nothing so much as a standard aluminum yawara into which a pen has been inserted. If the purpose of a "tactical pen" is to look like a pen and not a weapon, this Smith and Wesson tool fails in its purported mission. It is, however, cheaper by roughly half than its competitors, notably Benchmade, which will be a selling point to some.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
eastcoastsniper

Re: Smith and Wesson "Tactical Pen"

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Phil Elmore wrote: Image
That pen and the "evil eye" are a deadly combination :wink:
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

Most men wilt under my steely gaze. Why, entire biker gangs have wet themselves when I turned the Evil Eye upon them. :lol:
- Phil Elmore

redeye

Post by redeye »

Phil Elmore wrote:Most men wilt under my steely gaze. Why, entire biker gangs have wet themselves when I turned the Evil Eye upon them. :lol:

the bikers i know would only wet themselves from laffing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

Hey, either way that it works, it works. ;)
- Phil Elmore

The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

redeye wrote:the bikers i know would only wet themselves from laffing
I know this might sound odd coming from me, but it is a season for celebration and bratwurst, and it's time to bury the hatchet and become friends here.

I've known Phil for many years, and he has an odd sense of humor. He's harmless, he really isn't going to hurt anybody. He does the "eyebrow thing" for a laugh, like a signature.

Let's just all give thanks for being free Americans now. Happy 4th, everybody. And Phil, you're a member here, too.
redeye

Post by redeye »

The Tourist wrote:
redeye wrote:the bikers i know would only wet themselves from laffing
I know this might sound odd coming from me, but it is a season for celebration and bratwurst, and it's time to bury the hatchet and become friends here.

I've known Phil for many years, and he has an odd sense of humor. He's harmless, he really isn't going to hurt anybody. He does the "eyebrow thing" for a laugh, like a signature.

Let's just all give thanks for being free Americans now. Happy 4th, everybody. And Phil, you're a member here, too.

I also have a warped sense of humor and thats why i said what i said. I was not trying to start anything with Phil its just that i am an old school scooter tramp from way back and i have seen a go-zillion "sidewalk commandos" {not that i am calling Phil one of those either} come and go. A ton of guys always wanna act so bad a** around bikers so that they can tell their friends that they beat up a biker when in reality the guy was not a biker at all but a "motorcycle enthusiast" a true biker would never even get his jock inna knot over something like this.I welcome Phil and his opinions and his humor to this and any other forum where i hang out. I mean come on look at the pic, would you be scared i think its hilarious and feel that if I offended then oh well i guess i apologise but ya cannot have thin skin around here as i have learned the hard way. there has been a fe times someone has said something that rubbed me the wrong way and i got pissed but i also got over it. so lets all be friends ok? HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY NO HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY cause thats what its all about.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

redeye wrote:I also have a warped sense of humor and thats why i said what i said. I was not trying to start anything with Phil its just that i am an old school scooter tramp.
I understand that, ditto here for the "odd sense of humor."

Edited. This makes it the shortest post ever by Mr. T.....
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

I found the posts to be quite funny and joking as explained later. Do you guys get on each others nerves this easily? I don't care about the stare Phil, you could smile or make the face shown, either way, I would be wondering, where in my body, that nasty looking pen, was going to end up. I of course, would have this thought, as I unholstered my version of steel. hee hee :wink:

Thanks for the excellent review. Loved the info.
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I am wondering if this is the preferred stance for this choice of a defense? Matt Damon would have carried more heat with his throws on The Bourne Identity if he would have had one of those on the desk rather than the actual pen he used with the filipino martial arts fighting style Kali .
Be careful with those sharp pointy things.
I only could hope that if I found a knife as my last resrort to survive in a life and death situation that I could be as clear headed and decisive as Johnny Cade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

Jason bourne could kill a man with a wet noodle. 8)
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

Or a 3 x 5 card.

An implement like this is most effectively used with overhand hammerfist-type blows as shown. The angry glare is optional.
- Phil Elmore

Milu

Post by Milu »

Checkout the Mazzuoli Officina pen range too
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

I've seen those discussed at other sites -- they're a beautiful and incredibly heavy-duty metal pen that is ideal for this application.
- Phil Elmore

sandbar

Post by sandbar »

by Milu on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:09 am

Checkout the Mazzuoli Officina pen range too

Where is this item found?