dan' sauth

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

dan' sauth

Post by missaman »

:o hats off to you guys that live down south, i've been traveling alot lately, {last six weeks} mostly around charlette everybody is polite and has manners not like i'm used to in the northeast. i would not get caught in the public housing projects up here after dark, but down there i have no problem walking around at 9:00 p.m. even the project dwellers are polite. getting home once a week to wash cloths cut the grass etc. AND open packages sent by shursnap1 containing hammer brands and prestos life is GOOD! :D
by the way wtf is oakra?? :?:

missaman
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Okra is a green veggie that looks like a cross between a long pepper and a stringbean on steroids and is used in Gumbo. It's also slimey as hell inside. I have never really cared for it inless simmered in a gumbo. Some people eat it the way we eat peas or corn.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

yeah, yeah, food is fine, but please mr missaman, tell us about your hammer brand knives....i've just decided i NEEEED one for my collection - but i'm gonna try and find the imperial "jack-o-matic"..........
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Missaman,

I live about an hour and a half Northeast of Charlotte. Because (perhaos) it is the largest city in the Carolinas, it is probably the least polite. Believe it or not, it also has the worst crime rate. As we discussed earlier, I too grew up in the land of pleasant living, but have been the the Carolinas for 21 years. It was indeed nice to move to an area where common courtesy and friendliness are the rule, and not the exception.

Descriptions of okra have already been provided, but not the most popular way of preparing it (at least in the Carolinas), which of course is fried. The plant is cut into cross-sections, breaded and fried. Each piece is somewhat round, and is typicallyabout an inch in diameter. I like mine with Texas Pete (made in Winston Salem) hot sauce :D

Jim

Jim
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

You guys are killin' me here; I've been living up on the tundra off & on for most of the last decade, BUT I was raised in Oklahoma and my Grandma used to make fresh okra for me the way it was meant to be. No offense to you Jim, but your description of fried okra is like describing a switchblade as, "a knife that opens using its own power." That description just can't do justice to the one you play with the most.
Fried okra (the only way to eat it!) is cut up the way Jim said; lightly breaded using cornmeal and/or flour that is highly seasoned (SALT, maybe garlic powder, maybe a little cayenne), then fried in a cast iron skillet using lard that is about ¾ inch deep that is smokin' hot. The okra is cooked until almost burned; indeed there will be little crunchy pieces that are burned if it is done right. Very little slime left, when it is cooked right. Now where am I going to find fresh okra up here? I guess I will have to placate myself with the two new Kershaws due to arrive early this week (until I can get down to OK for some okra and real thunderstorms).
If Mr. Bigg had ever had okra made right, maybe he would've given the matter at least a little deference, and not treated it like a hockey team that got swept by a bunch of dam ducks... :wink:
sheep-free since '93'...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

ratstuph,

Thanks for elaborating on the fine points of okra preparation. My forte is more in the eating as opposed to cooking area :lol:

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

mr.bigg as for the hammer brand knives, in the last month i got two hammerbrand toothpicks pg.116 , one presto letteropener/swith pg 113, one hammerbrand jigged bone switch pg 120 in and i MEAN it is in perfect condition. but it has put a dent in the ol checkbook three knives came from suresnap1 "bless him o lord " presently eyeing up the imperial toothpick on ba. page numbers are from a collectors guide to s.w.knives

thanks missaman :D :D :D
missaman

Post by missaman »

jack'omatic is that right or left handed. lol. a new girl every night?
missaman in da hood :D :D :D
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

well actually, it's more of a two handed effort :wink:
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Another name for Okra is Ladies Fingers! Used a lot in Indian cuisine.I live 25 yards from my local Indian restaurant and in the summer with my windows open I have to tie myself down to keep me away from there as the smells drive my tastebuds crazy! :roll: :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Spotlight Kid,

My mother makes pickled okra. She keeps it locked away, mainly from my (step) Dad. She also pickles watermelon rind. She doesn't have to lock that shit up, as she's the only one who likes it.

How was Spain? Where's the loot?

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Hi Bonz,Spain was Hot, 8) got myself a good tan!Wine women and sun were just the ticket for curing the miserable weather I left behind.Knife shops however were thin on the ground where I was staying but I managed to find one half good one in Valencia near the bull ring,always a good place to start searching in Spanish cities.I already had the better quality blades they had in stock but I did manage to persuade them to part with their showpiece in their front window.The poor guy actually cut himself on it whilst getting it out.Here is a pic,there are a few more on my photo site,even some good stonework out my front window in the background for Teddy to admire! :lol: I will take some more soon and hopefully they will come out more clear.The overal length is 31" . :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8) Image
Last edited by the spotlight kid on Wed May 21, 2003 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

The okra's not up yet here in lake Woebegone, but (the good news) the onions are in!!! :D Two new Kershaws just arrived via the dude in brown and I'm happier than a clown out on the town! One is a Boa (multicolored, plain blade) and the other is a Scallion (serrated blade). What fun toys! I remember reading that several of yous(sp?) guys have them and was wondering a couple of things (also if my questions have already been addressed please direct me). 1) The Boa is a little stiff so doesn't spring open every time when pushed from the back. Does this work better over time or do I just go ahead and give it a lube bath? 2) I'm hoping the thumb stud will become unnecessary as using it is awkward for me; so I'm thinking of removing it. Has anyone done so? If so how bad does the hole look, and; will it ruin the blade to have the hole machined to match the others? Thanks for all your previous posts about these as, without the posts, I would not likely have considered the Kershaws. The Scallion will become my EDC, as it will (hopefully) get me around work-regs prohibiting goof-balls from possessing weapons that will most likely end up causing the owner a nice wound. :oops: The Boa will just lounge around the house looking ominous, although it may be a legal non-work carry (too long of a blade for work). Again, thanks!
sheep-free since '93'...
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

the spotlight kid wrote: ...with my windows open I have to tie myself down :roll: :lol:
Mr. S-Kid,
Do you have to leave the windows open to do that "tie (your)self down" thing? :wink: I was just wondering cause I think my neighbors might prefer, were I doing alot of tying myself down, if I kept it to myself. :lol:
Cheers!! r-s
sheep-free since '93'...
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Spotlight Kid,

Glad to see you managed to come home with one prize. I'd like to see a cleaner shot of that when you get the chance. All the pics on your site were dark as well. Did ya catch a bullfight on your trip? I always root for the Bull.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson