Ladies and Gentlemen- We have him

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Nope, wasn't Jerry. Scuttlebutt here in the hereafter has it that he's pretty busy chasing Nixon around whining- " I know you've got my fingertip"

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tequiza wrote:tr,want some ga shine,i've never puked on it :wink:
tequiza
I do not remember puking on the 'shine I had in La. But I don't recall much at all about those nights
omega

Post by omega »

Vagrant wrote:I do not remember puking on the 'shine I had in La. But I don't recall much at all about those nights
Mr. Vagrant:

That stuff you drank in L.A. couldn't have been real shine. Might have been Prestone!

Here's something disgusting: An ex-wife used to be a cop and later a corrections officer in a medium security state prison down in Florida. The inmates used to make their own "wine" by thowing rotten fruit and other misc ingredients into a 5 gallon bucket and then hiding the things in some accessible ductwork that had been pried loose. Eventually all that crap would ferment, leaving this nasty, smelly stuff with an unknown alcohol content.

Imagine drinking that stuff. I don't drink anymore, but even if I did, I don't think I could ever touch that stuff no matter how bad I was jonesing for a buzz.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Omega,

As you can see from my avatar, I live in N.C. However, I am not originally from here. Grits are served frequently in N.C. I believe that I can objectivelly report on grits as I have no bias for or against them.

First, grits are inexpensive and are made from readily available materials. Perhaps that contributed to their popularity. Honestly, I don't understand why someone would clain to either love or hate grits because without any additives they have little to no flavor. (Omega, your distaste for grits was likely hangover induced). People season them in a variety of ways which adds flavor. This seasoning is what determines the flavor, and the grits themselves are really just bulk filler when it comes to providing flavor. These statements have resulted in me engaging in several lively discussions with grits aficionados, but they are my honest, objective assessment.

Jim
omega

Post by omega »

jim d, wrote: These statements have resulted in me engaging in several lively discussions with grits aficionados, but they are my honest, objective assessment.

Jim

Hi Jim:

I should have guessed that I could rely on you for an objective view of Grits as well as about anything else.

I guess that for my palate, there is the expectation that food will have some sort of flavor of its own, only to be enhanced by seasoning. I can see that this is going to require some serious research on my part to gather an understanding why people eat that stuff by choice when other, more flavorful foods are available to them. Until then, I am Grit-Ignorant!

I'll put this down on my endless list of things to learn about. By the time I work my way to it, I may be toothless, at which point grits will have some practical appeal and that will provide me with an answer.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Omega,

The same thing could be said about chicken.

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

What exactle ARE (or IS) grits???

I have wondered about that for YEARS.... can anyone explain...??

REALLY curious
Teddy
bigfifty

Grits And 'War Crimes'

Post by bigfifty »

Grits are a 'cultural' thing that if you grew up eating them, then they fall into the 'comfort' or at least comfortable food catagory. And some foods are kind of neat-to-eat that don't exhibit much flavour. You can change their taste to suit your taste on different days. A word on Hussein.....He gets to go through the indignities, which are sure to follow, simply because he lost. There is no 'higher' moral ground here. Remember the 'show trials' that Stalin had in the 30's ? The Nuremburg war trials ? These also featured men that were on the losing side. Read some history...."There But For Losing, Go I". I know that this will generate a lot of flak, but then the truth is often unpopular. Take care, Bigfifty.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

I was kinda lookin' for a slightly more definitive answer than "cultural"

STILL curious
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

Processed grain (corn definitely, maybe others) with the consistency of creamy sand.

Jim
Last edited by jim d, on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

teddy,as jim said it's just ground corn,the 1st time i went so was 1960 at the age of 16 i had heard about grits but didn't know what they were,when i 1st tried them i thought this is what your raving about,it's like cream of wheat or oatmeal tasteless until you add something to it,there's to much good food out there to bother with any of the 3 of them.
tequiza
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Thanks for that gents... I've wondered about that ever since I heard the Beach Boys go on about it in the song "Sloop John B" ...... now I know....

I'll stick to mashed potatoes I think..... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

jim d, wrote:The same thing could be said about chicken.

Mr. Jim D,

Ah, chicken! The official breakfast, lunch, dinner, and between meal snack of the City of Oakland, California and it's inhabitants including, but not limited to, Emeryville, Alameda and Piedmont. Southern fried chicken, mashed potatos and black eyed peas ain't got nothing on these legions of chicken munchers. They is after the greasy spot. If there's ever proof that there's a chicken in every pot, the SF east bay community bleeds dry the chicken farms of California's central valley. The long lines at Popeye's and KFC chicken joints stretch for blocks and are intertwined with other long lines to the point they don't know what chicken joint line they actually are standing in. If you cant suck the meat, cartiledge, and grease, and leave a bleached white chicken skeleton behind, then you're no match for these crazed chicken fanatics. It's true. Wally told me, plus, I've been to several Raiders games. The bones of these little fowls litter the parking lots.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

:shock: with all the seafood that's available to them they eat chicken?????? what the hell is this world coming to :roll:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

In the back of my mind there's this nagging thought that if they could bag fried chicken skin it would be the end of pork rinds.