BONSA Question

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

BONSA Question

Post by XBMX »

Happened on this Sweet old timer and was immediately attached to its variantl front Scale variant. Normally German Springers with Top and Bottom Bolsters sport split front Scales (a left and a right). This one is fitted with a Notched One Piece front scale, common to knives without bottom bolsters.
First time I remember seeing this, what's your shake??? I'm thinking of saving instead of flipping.
black b 3.jpeg
black b 3.jpeg (319.01 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
sammy the blade

Re: BONSA Question

Post by sammy the blade »

If lever locks are your thing I think you have a keeper.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The less expensive Bonsa 10CM and 11CM lever locks came with handles like that. Generally, the knives have steel liners.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

sammy the blade wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:29 pm If lever locks are thing I think you have a keeper.
It's pictured as found, uncleaned. I thought it quite different and attractive. It came with a brother dressed in stag in normal configuration. Should look good in someone's display case.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There are some Bonsas at the top of the picture.
Attachments
IMG_4685.JPG
IMG_4685.JPG (809.16 KiB) Viewed 10614 times
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:44 pm There are some Bonsas at the top of the picture.
See guys you know it's a keeper when Mr. Bill has the same one in his collection.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Nice looling knife XBMX ,I would keep it .

Just one question ,Is that lever original to the knife or has it been replaced ?I just dont remember seeing the bonsa springers with that shaped lever ,only the all metal type bonsas .
Im probably wrong but could someone clarify this .
Attachments
Herbertz Bonsa.jpg
Herbertz Bonsa.jpg (178.5 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The lever is original. Almost all of the last Bonsas had them, except for some of the stag models. When Klaas purchased Bonsa's assets they assembled anything they could to sell.
Numbers 5 & 6 from top left in my picture have them- you just cant see them.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is a picture of some trapezoid lever Bonsas.
Attachments
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG (122 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Wow ...really great bunch of knives Bill . 8)

I own no bonsa leverlocks unfortunately ,but the springers I did bid on ,or come across always had the usual style of lever ,not the trapezoid shaped one ,except when I saw it on the steel variants ,

Thanks so much for the picture showing the variants ,I am still rusty at the moment so bear with me.

Btw I really love that swinguard example 8)

Thanks for clearing this up for me and I hope your well my freind .

Ian
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have one like the one in the original post. Does anyone know when these were made?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They were made in the late 1960s through at least the mid 1970s. Bonsa's assetts were sold to Klaas in 1972, I believe. I bought them outfitted this way from Germany in the mid 1970s.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

In 1965 at age 16 on a trip to Europe with my parents I bought my 1st switchblade while in Germany. It was a Bonsa identical to the one in gravknife’s photo. Later in the trip I walked into a knife shop in Venice and bought about 4 stilettos including a trapdoor otf. Sadly I sold the otf and the others disappeared. But I was hooked!
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I saw the Bonsa models for sale in the early 1970s in Italy and other countries back then. I handled a few of the trap doors and didn't like them...lol.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

The trapdoor was inconsistant. The blade would only lock about a third of the time. That was why I sold it.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image