My First Latama

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Maltese flatguard

Re: My First Latama

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Corvus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 am Hoookay, now I'm really confused. How can you tell what the rocker looks like without disassembling the knife? Fiber optics? X-rays? Nanites?
I thought the same thing...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Corvus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 am How can you tell what the rocker looks like without disassembling the knife?
I don't know how you would tell that. I was thinking maybe someone just happened to know what kind of rocker those ones had.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most of the Latama stilettos did have that type rocker.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Why is it on those ones, when the button has fallen off, there is no trace of solder on the base of the rocker?
Maltese flatguard

JimBrown257 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:44 am Why is it on those ones, when the button has fallen off, there is no trace of solder on the base of the rocker?
A lot of early post war Coricama knives seem like they are missing the safety caps. ( like those engraved Edwin Jays and engraved Latamas).
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Bad soldering.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Thanks Captain 😎
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am Bad soldering.
With bad soldering, there is still some solder on the rocker. On those flat base rockers, there never seems to be any solder. I was wondering if maybe the button wasn't actually attached to the rocker and was just held down by the scale (because the bottom of the button was wider than the hole in the scale).
Riven67

Post by Riven67 »

Awesome looking knife. I'll have to do more reading before I can follow the some of the conversation though. Not familiar with all the terminology yet.
johnnyl321

Post by johnnyl321 »

That is a cool knife. I’ve always been a fan of the Italian stilleto designs. Trying to find a 7” oal, but it’s like finding hens teeth.
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime which has spawned him"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

JimBrown257 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 am
Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am Bad soldering.
With bad soldering, there is still some solder on the rocker. On those flat base rockers, there never seems to be any solder. I was wondering if maybe the button wasn't actually attached to the rocker and was just held down by the scale (because the bottom of the button was wider than the hole in the scale).
None were done that way.
If there is no solder on the rocker, then it was a real bad soldering job. Lead solder has an affinity for nickel silver, but steel, not so much-especially if no flux is used.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

So like they torched it too quickly and the solder didn't fully melt? That is the only way I have seen that melted solder would not be on the steel.

Pay attention to those missing button flat base rockers ones in the future and let me know what those ones look like (remaining solder or not).
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The button also has less mass than the rocker.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

What is the significance of that?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It heats up slower than the thin nickel silver.