Straydog Copper Swirl Dagger Triplet

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Straydog Copper Swirl Dagger Triplet

Post by ILikeStilettos »

That fabulously talented cutler, Straydog (Ron) has done it again for me. I sent him a 9", 11", and 13" dagger (a Frank B, and two Stiletto Italy's), all production pivot bolsters, and two blocks of Bear Tooth Woods "Copper Swirl" acrylic. This is the result after working his magic. These magnificent mangles are so shiny and polished I almost couldn't get photographs. Naturally, I'm walking on clouds since these arrived.

Ron made bottomless picklocks without safeties. He replaced all the liners with heavy galvanized steel and made new solid NS top bolsters. He also created those unique "layer cake" buttons for me, but this time in all NS. By request, all the pins are silver colored too. I thought that this material had potential, but nothing I previously saw told me how gorgeous these scales would be when rendered by the master.

Ron took special pains to bookmatch the slabs. Realistically, this is an imperfect process, because even the two surfaces facing the saw blade are initially separated by the width of the kerf. Sometimes the figuring continues through the gap, and sometimes it doesn't. Then when you begin to shape it, you cut away more material and the figuring starts to look like less and less of a match. Ron's filework is always visually stunning, even more so when there is so much of it. Note how the coining "points" to the tip of the knife on the spine side.

Now on the blade well side of the knife the coining runs the opposite way, still pointing toward the tip of the knife.

On the end the coining goes straight across to "connect" the full pattern.

I chose the copper swirl because it was the closest thing I could find to something like a natural material. I wanted these to look like pure Italian Stilettos, but on steroids. This also mandated a classic shape front bolster. These are more work to make for Ron, but the results make it seem effortless. Bravo! You are the man, Ron.

I think this trio represents Ron's work at his absolute best. Please join me in complimenting him. Thanks for reading.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
daddyloko

Re: Straydog Copper Swirl Dagger Triplet

Post by daddyloko »

Good Golly Miss Molly :o That's some serious beautification Ron threw down on that trio. That's "Sexy Cool". The choice of scales is outstanding and all else is just as beautiful. Ron has really been knocking out some serious beauties beauties the past 4 -5 years. I love the work he's been throwing down on us.
Get down Straydog :twisted:
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Boy howdy, ain't he just!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

daddyloko wrote: Ron has really been knocking out some serious beauties beauties the past 4 -5 years.
Get down Straydog :twisted:
Thanks for the compliments fellers ! :D

Has it been that long Abe ? :shock: ......Man ! time flies when yer havin' fun ! :wink:

Dawg
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Doggie- The other mangler/builders may get a lot of hype but many of us believers along with many others know what exquisite work you do and are highly appreciative.
You Sir are going down in history as one of the finest custom knife builders on the planet. Be proud Sir.(oh don't let this go to yer head),keep yer prices where they are,I have a lot of cool idears for knives,just my pocket book won't let me indulge.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Ron I remember when you started back during the SWB days, beginning with the file work. You've been pretty consistent and it really shows your love and talent for our beloved hobby. I'm pretty sure we can consider you one of our premiere home grown manglers.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

daddyloko wrote:I'm pretty sure we can consider you one of our premiere home grown manglers.
I couldn't agree more,Ron's work blows my mind.
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

daddyloko wrote:Ron I remember when you started back during the SWB days, beginning with the file work. You've been pretty consistent and it really shows your love and talent for our beloved hobby. I'm pretty sure we can consider you one of our premiere home grown manglers.
Thank you very much for the compliments guys ! ....I'm glad I was able to contribute something to our hobby.
I started mangling ( way back when ) , cause I was too cheap to buy some of those beautiful ( and expensive ) custom knives, they are masterpieces.....so , I decided to try to build my own ,with the help of the "big name" manglers and knifemakers , they answered questions & gave me tips , thanx guys :D
Dog
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Sweeeeeet!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Those are magnificent, I'm new to switches but I can't believe how beautiful in design these are,makes me want an Italian switch, thanks for posting these pictures, and compliments to the maker.
Ian
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

NICE!..........
Hey Ron, did you make those buttons from scratch? Or did you just alter the original button?
I don't expect you to give out any trade secrets, but with that small fine detail I was wondering if you use some
special tools to do that ( i.e. watch or tool N die) ? ........ MIND BLOWING!
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

bigfatross wrote: Hey Ron, did you make those buttons from scratch? Or did you just alter the original button?
I ground down a stock original button forming a ring , then inserted a piece of round stock ( 1/4") and soldered

No special tools ...belt sander and soldering gun
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Outrageously Mos' Beautymous, Mr. Dawgie!

Your creativity, talent and craftsmanship continue to amaze me!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

JerrBear wrote:Outrageously Mos' Beautymous, Mr. Dawgie!

Your creativity, talent and craftsmanship continue to amaze me!
I agree with everyone here! You continue to shock and awe, Mr StrayDog!! :D :D :shock: :shock:
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.