Southpaws

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
muskrat man

Re: Southpaws

Post by muskrat man »

Straydog 5247 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:[thought the wood frosy might be ironwood since you did not seem to recall the wood type. Ironwood usually smells pretty rank when you grind it, may be some kind of cocobolo or rosewood if it didn't smell too bad.
OK I didn't know which one you were talkin' 'bout ! :oops: ....while working it I noticed it was a "hard" wood , and seemed to ooze oil when I cut it on the bandsaw ( I thought that was odd ) ... but didn't smell bad at all
Ah, sounds like some form of rosewood, they are very oily and don't smell like ironwood does
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

You're still the man, Ron.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

ILikeStilettos wrote:You're still the man, Ron.
Ditto
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ron that wood is most likely cocobolo or rosewood if it had a waxy feel.
Rosewood top pic / Cocobolo bottom. They look very different in the pictures but sometimes they can be the same shade or real close.
MM is right,desert ironwood can have a strange odor where these two woods have a pleasant smell.
Attachments
rosewood.jpg
rosewood.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
cocobolo.jpg
cocobolo.jpg (181.15 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Mr. Viking , I believe it was Rosewood by the photos you posted .....That's what it looked like before I started workin' the wood .Thanks for clearin' that up , Ive always been bad at identifying different kinds of wood ! :oops:

Rondog