Post Your Faves

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Post Your Faves

Post by Viking45 »

Kinda wanted to liven things up a bit,if not for you then myself.
I haven't bought a new knife for ages but wanted to get everyone to post pics of their favorite knives.
Fixed Blades,Folders,Switchblade (Italian),Autos (non Italian,Modern,Off Brand etc)

Really love for some of the switchblade freaks here to post pics of their favorite fixed blade and folders.
Danny Bailey

Re: Post Your Faves

Post by Danny Bailey »

According to what has been said below, I'm playing the game wrong.

Sorry.
Last edited by Danny Bailey on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

So which is your favorite Danny or is it "all of the above"?
I couldn't choose just one. Really liking the 11" white Mexican w/skull button and the slant bolster swingers.

Sensory overload. 8)

Lotsa Dog's in there.
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

The abalones are the top of the heap for me. I just love all the colors.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Wow Danny!! I think you just lapped the field :D

Here's my favorites from my humble collection :wink:

“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

Hey hey hey,
I wanna play too!
I will when I have some time.
But so far, homeboy Danny Baily might put other collections to shame, as Viking pointed out :mrgreen:
you know wicked John has got some amazing wicked pieces too 8)
who else???
all the best,
Free
"Everyone is your neighbor."
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Wazu love the damascus lever and the ZT.
I have the ZT 0200 and unless someone has held one of these knives you can't appreciate how incredible robust these things are.
No doubt in my mind that a ZT could survive being run over by an M1 Abrams and barely scratch the paint.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Viking45 wrote:Wazu love the damascus lever and the ZT.
I have the ZT 0200 and unless someone has held one of these knives you can't appreciate how incredible robust these things are.
No doubt in my mind that a ZT could survive being run over by an M1 Abrams and barely scratch the paint.
You're right about that. The first time I held it and flipped it I was sold. Rock solid all the way!
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
DonC

Post by DonC »

I'm pretty new at the Italian collecting game but, with the help and tolerance of a number of members of the community, I've been able to acquire a couple of pieces that are really special to me.

Let me preface what I'm going to say with the fact that I've had the honor of seeing Danny's collection and what he's presented here is really just the tip of the iceberg. Being exposed to his collection brings new meaning to the term "sensory overload". A simply staggering experience.

I've been fortunate enough to acquire some pieces from Killbucket who is a mangler in his spare time. He's active over on the SD forum but not here.
The first piece I got from him was a rebuild of a totally trashed manual knife he picked up on Ebay and turned into an absolute jewel.
Before he worked his magic:

By the time he was through with it it had risen like a Phoenix from it's own ashes and I named it The Phoenix.

The file work is something to see and continues all the way up to the tip of the blade and actually wraps around the side of the blade to match the file work done on the liners.

A little while after I got the Phoenix ILikeStilettos gave me a piece of Acryliwood Box Elder Burl. I had a plain bone stock FB 11" stiletto that, while a nice example of a contemporary product, was nothing special. I sent the knife and the Burl to Killbucket and asked him to make new scales for the knife out of the Burl.
What I got back was named the Lord Sauron taking the name from the Lord of the Rings movies for the red pushbutton. Not too visible in the photos but in the light the button looks like it has it's own source of light.

While he was with Killbucket Lord Sauron met and married the Lady Kriss. Lady Kriss was a totally unexpected gift from Killbucket. I don't know what I did to deserve the knife but Killbucket has my everlasting thanks.

Once Lord Sauron and Lady Kriss were back home I decided to let them adopt The Phoenix to make a Killbucket family.

On the pure custom side of the house I was fortunate enough to be introduced to George Cameron of Cameronknives. George was very active in the custom knife arena for a long time and then stepped back from it for a while. My introduction to him allowed me to be exposed to his work as he was coming back into the field.
The first piece I acquired from him was an 11" stiletto scaled in Dahl Sheep horn.
Two of George's trademarks are his red liners and the hollow grinding of both the blade and the bayonet when he builds that type of blade. He also believes in 3/16 (~5mm) thick blades and back springs.

The second Cameron I acquired was his first production 13" stiletto. Since George makes everything himself from blades to springs to liners he was able to create a slightly thinner blade width and a profile that is more tapered than production knives of that length and gives the knife a very long and sleek look.

As I said at the beginning, I'm still pretty new at this and don't have a very extensive collection yet but out of what I've been able to acquire up to now these 5 are my favorites. I have a feeling that they're going to hold that position for quite a while.

DonC
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Wonderful pieces of art!!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

With all due respect to Viking, I believe his intention was to have us post one ultimate favorite knife per member. As Wazu points out, these are works of art. I am quite familiar with Danny's and donc's collections and acquisitions and there's not a knife in the their postings that I wouldn't dearly love to own. I'm glad to see them again and read their words even though I've seen them before and even had the pleasure of holding some of them in my hands. First off, with art, there has to be something that speaks to you individually, there is no right or wrong here, no good, no bad, no better, no best. This is Sophie's choice - you're asking me to choose among my children. Even worse, in my case, there are several artisans involved are I don't want to offend any of them. I plan on getting more knives from them, and each piece touches me in a way that mere words don't adequately encompass. Therefore I'm going to post multiple pictures, too, and briefly describe the provenance:

Pat Havlin's magnificent 13" picklock swedge with 1/4" thick blade and spring, (Latama square button) plunge release.

Killbucket's "Hellbent" 13" picklock Kris.

Killbucket's "Lord Barkenbite" 13" picklock bayonet (shown with a few close friends - Ian didn't get to touch the .45)

My 10" and 11" Renzo Pascutto stamped Frosolone style.

Jerry Sizemore 13" extended bayonet swingguard.

10" 5mm Brazilian AGA Picklock engraved by Bill DeShivs.

You'll have to ask Don about that one, it's some kind of exotic snake (I'm the grinning idiot on the right).

A pair of stunning George Cameron 11" bayonets in black box elder burl Acryliwood (distant cousins to 'Lord Sauron')

And this last one which is somewhere between Issaquah and here (George's Picture):

George's second or third 13", a dagger picklock in Bear Tooth Woods Acrylic. Design inspired by one I asked Kruznn about some time back. No doubt when I get it my hands, it will be my best knife ever ... until the next one comes along.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

ILikeStilettos wrote:With all due respect to Viking, I believe his intention was to have us post one ultimate favorite knife per member.

My sincere apologies. I have removed my offensive post.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

My 2 faves of all time

My custom Mikov
mikov open.jpg
mikov open.jpg (232.9 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
And my Bradley Mayhem
mayhem half open.jpg
mayhem half open.jpg (301.7 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Danny Bailey wrote:
ILikeStilettos wrote:With all due respect to Viking, I believe his intention was to have us post one ultimate favorite knife per member.

My sincere apologies. I have removed my offensive post.
It may have been his intention, but it was an unreasonable request and so far nobody has complied. I though I was complimenting your post, not saying it was offensive. You're taking this much too seriously!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonC

Post by DonC »

Danny:
Please reset your original post. That eye candy is one of the primary reasons I got involved in this stuff in the first place.
Seeing what's out there is one of the key aspects that drives me to keep adding to what I have. If it wasn't for the exposure to the photos on these forum posts I would be clueless to the various varieties of knives that exist.
DonC