80's Flashback

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stiletto39

80's Flashback

Post by stiletto39 »

By request, here is a group shot of my pinned Super Auto / Nato's. Included is the very elusive metal OTF comb. I was fortunate enough to pick this one up over the summer. I think in the past 20 years, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 photos of an OTF comb. Also included is an older gravity knife, with very similar pinned bolsters/frame as the Super Auto's.

And since I had everything out of my knife vault, I decided to do a group shot of my 80's pieces, which includes mostly Edge Company items. All of these bring back alot of memories for me. Enjoy!
Switch King

Re: 80's Flashback

Post by Switch King »

Hello,
Compliment to your vintage collection OTF Automatic.
This is the first time I've seen a comb OTF. When and where were they made? I also like your folding stilettos. Unfortunately, in Germany all OTF knives prohibited. I had 10 years as a boy a super automatic knife.

GermanPro
Greetings from Europe
lars

Post by lars »

Excellent bunch! Never seen a OTF comb before, it´s very cool!
The manual Edge Company knives are simply wonderful :mrgreen:
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

I never had seen the comb .....cool gadget.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Yap; that OTF comb is a first for me. Had a buddy who always carried the side opener comb back in the 1974 era. Loved getting the edge pamphlet back then.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Nice collection :!: :!: :!:
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Oh wow! Those super autos are absolutley beautiful! First time ive ever seen an otf comb but still looks bad ass, again awesome otfs thanks for sharing the pic super autos are my all time fav type of autos. Also how do you go about oiling your super autos? Through the slide for the button or just through the top? i got one thats firing a little sluggishly and whats the best oil? heres a pic of mine. thanks
Attachments
superautos.jpg
superautos.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 7880 times
' Snitches get stitches '
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

stiletto39 wrote:Included is the very elusive metal OTF comb. I was fortunate enough to pick this one up over the summer. I think in the past 20 years, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 photos of an OTF comb.
Cool comb! Somebody on the SD Forum had one like yours and converted it into an actual knife. I can't remember who it was, but I saved a pic of it. I'm sure it was super flimsy, but I like the idea of a dual-action otf that looks more like a traditional Italian side-opener than the "super-autos" do. Here it is...

Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

there was a discussion on switchblade combs somewhere i dont recall but the otf comb you have i had one exactly like yours but being dumb kid wanting the real thing i took it apart tried to put blade in it but it never worked and i ended up losing the parts but man that comb sure does bring back some memories lol , it was by far the best built comb i ever had or seen it was real thick like a real knife and if im not mistaken the comb is some sort of metal maybe aluminum ? i went to lots of flea markets as a kid with my parents and i always seen tons o switchblade combs of many different styles and sizes but this one was by far the best quality i had ever had or seen
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

METALGOD wrote:there was a discussion on switchblade combs somewhere i dont recall but the otf comb you have i had one exactly like yours but being dumb kid wanting the real thing i took it apart tried to put blade in it but it never worked and i ended up losing the parts but man that comb sure does bring back some memories lol , it was by far the best built comb i ever had or seen it was real thick like a real knife and if im not mistaken the comb is some sort of metal maybe aluminum ? i went to lots of flea markets as a kid with my parents and i always seen tons o switchblade combs of many different styles and sizes but this one was by far the best quality i had ever had or seen
I had one of those metal OTF combs too in the early 80s and fooled many people into thinking it was a real knife. I carried it to school in ninth grade and a teacher saw me open and close it. Thinking, it was real knife, she said, "Put that away now, or it's going to be mine." I then fired it again to show her it was a comb. Today, a kid would get suspended but things were not so strict back then. Unfortunately, I took mine apart too and never got it back together. I still have some of the parts in a tool box where they have been for almost 30 years.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I too had a few of the OTF and side opening combs as a kid...Wish I kept them!! I had a gravity OTF style one too. I also had alot of those Edge Company products along with Westbery Sales and Len Company stuff....those were the days for sure...thanks for the memories you all brought back guys!
exumer2687

Post by exumer2687 »

Panzerfaust wrote:
METALGOD wrote:there was a discussion on switchblade combs somewhere i dont recall but the otf comb you have i had one exactly like yours but being dumb kid wanting the real thing i took it apart tried to put blade in it but it never worked and i ended up losing the parts but man that comb sure does bring back some memories lol , it was by far the best built comb i ever had or seen it was real thick like a real knife and if im not mistaken the comb is some sort of metal maybe aluminum ? i went to lots of flea markets as a kid with my parents and i always seen tons o switchblade combs of many different styles and sizes but this one was by far the best quality i had ever had or seen
I had one of those metal OTF combs too in the early 80s and fooled many people into thinking it was a real knife. I carried it to school in ninth grade and a teacher saw me open and close it. Thinking, it was real knife, she said, "Put that away now, or it's going to be mine." I then fired it again to show her it was a comb. Today, a kid would get suspended but things were not so strict back then. Unfortunately, I took mine apart too and never got it back together. I still have some of the parts in a tool box where they have been for almost 30 years.

wow... and to think, I was basically expelled from elementary school because I had a pocket knife on me. I was born in 1987, I was probably 7 or 8 when I got caught with the pocket knife (not a switchblade) it was a small little chinese made stiletto looking folder.