2009 Blade Show Walt's Flat Guard

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dave

Re: 2009 Blade Show Walt's Flat Guard

Post by dave »

Springmesser wrote:When will the new improved fatter Walts Picklock be available :?: :)
a few of the protos are still available. the first run are to be available in sept.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

dave wrote:
Springmesser wrote:When will the new improved fatter Walts Picklock be available :?: :)
a few of the protos are still available. the first run are to be available in sept.
Who has them...and for how much?
I hope they price them reasonable...or I will just buy a vintage picklock. :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Walt has them. He can be reached at www.latama.net

Jim
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

jim d, wrote:Walt has them. He can be reached at http://www.latama.net

Jim
Man....they are beautiful. :)
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

>>Hey Cragar you got a beautiful knife there, can you do a youtube review on it for us show us it firing and so on, I want one of those badly.<<

Hi Woody,

I have a second one (light horn) coming next week. I'll try to put up a video showing them both next week.

Cragar
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I just looked at his site and found he grew up about a mile away from wher I did and lives withing a hour drive from me....How are these knives?? Are they really top shelf???
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

Hi Tom,

Someone with more experience can give you a much better answer than I can, since I've only been collecting for a short time. In that time, I've seen a lot of switchblades and have even purhcased two custom made 11" inch stilettos that are of very high quality. I think Walt's new flat guards (with the thicker backspring) are some of the finest production stilettos you could ever own.

Cragar
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I plan to call him and see the knives. Two quick questions: does anyone know who the maker is of the Walt's Flat Guard? Frank? Angelo?; The site states there are other knives for sale: does anyone know what else he has to offer and how are the prices? I may drive to see his offering and wanted to get an idea? Thanks !!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tom,

Frank B. has been making them and I haven't heard that it has changed.

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Jim is right about Frank making the flatguards. Walter also has the Sam Polk tribute square button made by Paul Panak and some original Latama's of various kinds.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks, I assumed that it was Frank, due to the quality and sizes offered (9' & 11"). I see by the blade show pictures that he has alot of old stuff for sale too!
h1942

Post by h1942 »

Love the grind. Hank
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

Hank,

I prefer the daggar grind to the bayonet, unlike the majority. I, too, like the new daggar grind on the prototype Walt's Flat Guard. Here's a picture of five different Italian daggar grinds, including my latest Walt's Flat Guard:
DaggerBlades.jpg
DaggerBlades.jpg (356.35 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Those are some stunners Craig!
Thanks for so many great pictures. The Due Buoi are nice! Your collection rarely goes below 11" :lol: (excluding OTF's)
Jeff
Leverlock switchblades
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Gotta agree with Jeff all the way, some great examples. Like Cragar, I think the dagger blade looks the coolest on this kinda knife. And that Flat Guard dagger really stands out. The blade appears to have an extra ridge down the middle (possibly for added heft or strenght?). As was said, the horn is outstanding. In my case, a knife like that would never leave the building thereby rendering the safety somewhat superfluous. Leading to a question about the red dot. Does anyone know if a collector wished to, is there a way to remove a red dot without marring the surface of the scale? I've thought of using solvent, sandpaper, or gently scraping etc. Even if someone knows just how the red dot is applied this might give me a clue. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks, Shiver.