2009 Blade Show Walt's Flat Guard

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Re: 2009 Blade Show Walt's Flat Guard

Post by jim d, »

Jeff,

There were several fine examples of the Weidmannsheil Springer Konig at the show, but I didn't see any that were shellpullers. Had I located a nice one that was a shellpuller, it would now have a new home.

Jim
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jim d, wrote:Jeff,

There were several fine examples of the Weidmannsheil Springer Konig at the show, but I didn't see any that were shellpullers. Had I located a nice one that was a shellpuller, it would now have a new home.

Jim
And I would be so jealous Jim. :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have to get there one year! It amazes me that at this one show all these rare knives show up !! How big is the show? I look at the pictures and it does seem big, but I have gone to many shows in NYC at the Javis Center that are 50 isles of product and get throught it as I look for what I am interested in any move quickly past the rest. I assume that if I was at Blade, I would not spend much time looking at the displays/offerings of the types of knives I am not too interested in, leaving time to see what I like? Is that the case here? I am a fast talking/moving NYer!...lol
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tom,

The show is dedicated to cutlery and cutlery related supplies, and is immense. As such, switchblades are a minority of the overall show but that doesn't matter. The switchblade community has evolved to where we have made it our biggest show. So, even given that the show is Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, and most of Sunday, plusThursday, Friday, and Saturday nights in the pit, there is still not enough time to see all the switchblades and talk to everyone. I hope I'm conveying the magnitude of switchblade presence at the show. It is nothing short of amazing. Imagine a show where, for example, if you decided you wanted to see a square button Latama, and a KaBar Grizzly, you could do just that!

There are a lot of photos from the show on the Sharperdeal forum. Be sure to check out Bob and Gloria's in the More Blade Show 09 photos thread in the General Chit-chat section.

Jim
Grim

Post by Grim »

Beautiful picklock surely a prime example 8)
DONT TREAD ON ME
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

That knife looks much nicer than even the finest old school to me. The colors have that subtle variation like some of the finest examples from long-ago.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Tom19176 wrote:I have to get there one year! It amazes me that at this one show all these rare knives show up !! How big is the show? I look at the pictures and it does seem big, but I have gone to many shows in NYC at the Javis Center that are 50 isles of product and get throught it as I look for what I am interested in any move quickly past the rest. I assume that if I was at Blade, I would not spend much time looking at the displays/offerings of the types of knives I am not too interested in, leaving time to see what I like? Is that the case here? I am a fast talking/moving NYer!...lol
I went for the first time this year, and the sheer volume of everything is mind boggling. Although I am primarily interested in switchblades and folders, some of the fixed blades were so nice, I couldn't help but stop and fondle them and talk to the makers. I spent the most time in the area with the switchblade dealers, but there are also autos in the makers areas. I tried to at least look at each table, but it's simply not possible to see it all in one day- at least not for me. And even so, it's hard to absorb and recall everything you've seen. I realized I missed some stuff when I started looking at the photos from the show- just trying to cram too much into too little time.

I learned a few lessons this year. Next year I will go on Friday and Saturday, if not all three days. I'll spend time in the pit- I regret not meeting more of the guys from the forums. I'll take more money if I can. I'll also grab the knives I want when I see them - I tried to come back and get one or two I had seen earlier on Saturday, only to find they were gone when I got back.

It's a great show, and everyone who is able should try and make it. Saw some beautiful knives, got a few good deals, and met some of the nicest folks around.
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Jeff_75 wrote:

Jim
Mr. Jim D, Jeff is one slick dude. I don't want to put the man's business on the open forum.
Maybe he'll be kind enough to explain his actions in a PM. :D
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

~Chad wrote:
Jeff_75 wrote:

Jim
Mr. Jim D, Jeff is one slick dude. I don't want to put the man's business on the open forum.
Maybe he'll be kind enough to explain his actions in a PM. :D
I'll send Jim a PM Chad :wink:
Leverlock switchblades
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Update:
Chad: I have explained my actions to mr. JimD :oops: :lol:
I forgot to inform about the first 3 attempts to get one where I crashed and burned terribly. :lol:
Cragar has about every knife a guy could have on his wish list, So does Chad.
Another winner for you Cragar :!:
Leverlock switchblades
woody500

Post by woody500 »

Hey Cragar you got a beautiful knife there, can you do a youtube review on it for us show us it firing and so on, I want one of those badly.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks all for the update on the show!! I looked at the pictures on the 2009 blade show pics but I did not see the others. I assume you have to join the forum to see them? I have to get there hopefully next year !!!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Point of clarification: I should have stated that there were no shellpullers that were right for me. I held the shellpullers in the photo you are referring to Chad, as well as a few others. You guys have just got to make your way to the show, you won't regret it.

Jim
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the PM's and info Jim.
That one was right for me. A couple of us want it badly :lol: It is a bit worn (as it was made to be) but the thought of a vintage example in my collection pleases me greatly. :D
I am supposed to be hiding from Chad right now because he sent me the photo's of it originally.
Leverlock switchblades
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

When will the new improved fatter Walts Picklock be available :?: :)