My first leverlock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rixard

My first leverlock

Post by rixard »

Ok, back again to report that my leverlock that I ordered arrived a few minutes ago. It's an 8" leverlock with horn handles. The blade is described as engraved Zuava. Not sure what that is since it looks like a normal bayonet-blade to me. On one side it has a "floral design" and the words INOX and on the reverse it says AB Italy.

There's a little play on the lever itself to left and right but perhaps that's to be expected?
Attachments
Bild 3.png
Bild 3.png (159.27 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Bild 2.png
Bild 2.png (293.33 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
Dick Carroll

Re: My first leverlock

Post by Dick Carroll »

I believe you're right, it looks like a bayo blade. It is my understanding that a zuava blade is more like a modified clip point.
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Definitely an engraved bayo. This is an engraved zuava.....

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Rixard,

I am especially fond of those curved handle LL's with the engraved blade. You have a nice one!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

8) nice choice.
justinRsmith

Post by justinRsmith »

that is my favorite style leverlock 8)
"I'll keep my money and guns & you keep the change"
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

That's a beatiful knife rixard. i have a very similar knife with nickel-silver bolsters. If I'm not mistaken, I think the bolster at the end of the knife is referred to as a "birds head."

A most excellent addition to your collection!

Cragar
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Craig,

It would be really great if yours has n/s bolsters as I don't know of any that were made that way. Take a close look and see if the bolsters are n/s or s/s. if they are n/s then I'm going hunting for one (or more) :D

Jim
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

Hi Jim,

You're right. I went back and took another look. It's ss. I'm surprised they haven't been made in ns--is there a story behind that?

Thanks,

Craig
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Craig,

Other than the Leverletto, I don't know of any Italian leverlocks with n/s bolsters. That is not to say there were never some made that I just don't know about. It might be that Italian leverlock production didn't start until Maniago had migrated from n/s to s/s which I believe was in the '60's or early '70's. I believe the Leverletto was designed with n/s bolsters and better steel as enhancements to the standard leverlocks. Perhaps the designer will chime in...

Jim
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

jim d, wrote:Craig,

It would be really great if yours has n/s bolsters as I don't know of any that were made that way. Take a close look and see if the bolsters are n/s or s/s. if they are n/s then I'm going hunting for one (or more) :D

Jim
They made some a long time ago, maybe 1970's or 1980's. I have one and it has some beautiful wood scales. Most of the later ones you will see had brass, and some of the economy models had stainless.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have an old Massarro with 3 stainless, and one nickel silver bolster!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.