15" AGA Campolin Customized by Arlin SloJoe Walker

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

15" AGA Campolin Customized by Arlin SloJoe Walker

Post by ILikeStilettos »

A few weeks ago Praetorian27 (Ben) offered to sell off his friend, Andy's, collection for Andy's widow. Ben was a total novice and several people were trying to contact him. I managed to connect and ask about a knife that I thought was a SloJoe. With that much information, Ben was able to reach Arlin and Arlin pointed him to his original website page and gave him a heads-up on what the knife was worth. I had made an offer to Ben, and after a bit of negotiation we settled on a figure and Ben agreed to ship. I sent donc, Danny Bailey and Sprink to Ben, and there a couple of other deals in place, but Ben then decided he didn't want to ship anything more out of New York. HDC eventually bought the entire collection.

Here's Arlin's link:

http://www.slojoe.com/mine191.html

I have owned both 15" and 18" AGA Campolin stilettos in the past and they are massive. I fell out of love with them because they are like comparing a Mack truck to a pickup. I sold everything longer than 13" with the exception of one 16" Siciliano and one 18" Straydog. I loved the look of this knife and I didn't think about the physical size. I had already committed to buy this knife based on a similar SloJoe 9" mammoth that I own and the scales reminded me of my other knife. When it came in the mail, the size and weight of this thing could just not be overlooked.

Based on donc's recommendation I've included a $20 bill and a quarter in some of the shots for scale. This knife was born with a Damascus blade as a 15" picklock stiletto, D-stamped liners. Arlin's first step was to 'gun blue' the blade to make the Damascus pattern more obvious, and frankly, a little different from the run-of-the-mill stuff. It has two sterling skulls and some black paracord to create a 'lanyard' pull unlocking mechanism. The cord is threaded under the locktab which is no longer readily accessible to picking because of the thick front bolsters. I've looked and looked, but I can't see any modification to the back spring or front bolsters, apparently they were fabricated in such a way that a cord track was created. Note the detail on the skulls, which are about 7/8" tall on the fire button and about 5/8 tall on the cord end.

Note the 1/2" thick slabs of camel bone on each side and the fileworked kick spring. The bolsters are nickel silver, but have been soldered to a vertical shoulder of 3 mm - 3/32" brass.

I particularly like the back scale because it has some interesting natural flaws that remind me of mammoth. Both scales have lovely, rich color and compliment each other well.

Arlin has done a masterful job of matching the file work patterns between the liners and kick springs, and I love how it fades out toward the center. He has just the right touch. It's very ornate, but not 'busy'.

Everything is assembled with hex head cap screws. Bolsters and brass are satin finish. Normally I like high polish, but this just 'works'.

The back side gets a more extensive filework treatment. So elegant.

The skull button seems to be rising out of his dark cave.

I haven't changed my mind about concentrating on 13" stilettos, but for this one I made an exception. I can't say that it was exactly planned, but I am really glad that I did. My 13" X 1/4" thick PLP weighs 14.6 oz, this one weighs 26.1 oz..
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Re: 15" AGA Campolin Customized by Arlin SloJoe Walker

Post by Viking45 »

:shock: Wow that thing is a Beauty and a Beast.
Definitely one of a kind.
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Very very cool!
I think it has something of a hunting knife. The only thing I do not like is the trigger button.
I do not like these skulls in other diameters.
Otherwise, I think it's really beautiful.
Greetings from Europe
DonC

Post by DonC »

I'm not particularly a fan of skulls either but on this one it looks like some time was taken to get the proportions and detail correct.
All in all a much better representation than I've seen done on other pieces.
Is it my cup or tea? Not particularly, but I can appreciate the workmanship that went into creating the entire piece.
DonC
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Cool knife.