"Tactical" swing guards?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Twobit

"Tactical" swing guards?

Post by Twobit »

This pair arrived in my mailbox today. They combine my love of swing guards with a utility that satisfies my practical side. Not autos but are made for one hand opening and closing with ball bearing pivot points. The lock buttons need some breaking in and the flipping open and closed will require some practice, but I do believe I've found my EDC and will most likely alternate between the two. I'm leaning towards the tanto even though the blade -to - handle ratio isn't optimal because currently it's easier to operate both ways. This could change.
Attachments
IMG_20240412_115936310.jpg
IMG_20240412_115936310.jpg (379.35 KiB) Viewed 895 times
IMG_20240412_120006215_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20240412_120006215_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg (506.3 KiB) Viewed 895 times
john

Re: "Tactical" swing guards?

Post by john »

Great looking manual opening knives. They’d make awesome automatics.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Yes, they would, John, and I intend to explore that possibility. By the way, they came wicked sharp right out of the box.
john

Post by john »

Where did you pick those two up?
I’m thinking that a coil spring could be installed along with a plunger type button.
John

Twobit

Post by Twobit »

John I got them from an online retailer out of Michigan called Discount Cutlery. They're also available on eBay and at Rural King and Tractor Supply stores. Elite Tactical is the brand and the blades are D2 steel. EBay is the cheapest option, but nobody on there offered both from one seller so that's why I ordered from this place. They're also available on GunBroker but the shipping charges are ridiculous plus CC fees.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

That place is about 30 minutes north of me. I never noticed them while driving through the town. I wonder if they have a brick and mortar store?
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

IDK, Terry. I got a business card with my order but it's in my truck at the moment and it's storming here. I'll get it tomorrow and see if they have one. I did notice the proximity to you when I saw the address and Google mapped it.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Terry, I checked on their website and it shows store hours and has a link for directions.
https://www.discountcutlery.net/
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I will have to check them out.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Note: the action on my order was not as fast as I'm used to but that's on me because I didn't read their shipping statement on the website. It says five to ten businesses days and I ordered last Saturday morning. They shipped on Wednesday. If you're ordering and want it fast, I recommend eBay. Cheaper too. Again, I'm not blaming Discount Cutlery but myself. They didn't misrepresent anything. I'm just impatient about getting stuff these days and I'm old enough to remember sending order slips by mail with a check and waiting sometimes three or four weeks. Then it was ordering by phone with a credit card. I would have had them by Tuesday or Wednesday if I'd ordered from eBay.
john

Post by john »

I’ll be checking eBay. Thanks for the info.
John

Twobit

Post by Twobit »

My pleasure, John. Always happy to share a good deal with friends. Update: I said they were sharp but had only felt the edges with my thumb. Tried them both on a Wal Mart receipt, you know how flimsy they are. Both of them shredded it .
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Nice looking Knives Luke .

I prefer the dropoint blade for shape but would be happy with either knife .
Nice that they are swinguards aswell ,would love one .
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Ian, I preferred the drop point myself at first, but the tanto is really growing on me despite the handle being about 1/2"(13mm) longer than the one on the drop point, which throws the ratio off. They both seem pretty robust and the mechanics are breaking in nicely. I'll mention again how very sharp they both were right out of the box.