Spyderco, Cold Steel, Benchmade

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kct6

Spyderco, Cold Steel, Benchmade

Post by kct6 »

Which knife should I get? Spyderco, cold steel, benchmark. Im looking for a good 4" pocket knife plain blade. THANKS
Last edited by kct6 on Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome [see PM]
Maybe someone has experience with all three.
My Cold Steel was a bit better than my Spyderco. The existance of both Benchmark and Benchmade can be confusing. I have no experience with Bencmark but the one [manual] Benchmade I've had was easily as good as the autos. And a step up from Spyderco and Cold Steel. [The price reflects this].
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Benchmark were made some years ago and their big seller was the Rolex and Viper ( zytel I think)a few boots and one hunter. Good knives but I got a feeling your thinking of Benchmade. It really depends on your usage but CS and Spydie don't make auto's and BM doesn't have a wide variety. BM is best for straight Tactical,SpyderCo is best for different utility types and frankly I'm no fan of Lynn Thompson and CS.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome kct6!

like mr pushbutton was eluding to, you will have to first decide what your needs are before deciding between these three brands - personally i love my spyderco native - and my cold steel vaquero grande scares the bejeezus out of me! i don't yet own a benchmade, but i have NEVER heard anything bad about them. i guess it really depends on what you want the knife for!

best value for the dollar would have to go to cold steel though, which has many more affordable models to choose from......

good luck!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Lynn knows the meaning of "Hype" to an annoying degree but I have one of his [Opinel copies] Twist-locks that is a very good knife. His Carbon V [aka 1095] is a very tough steel no matter what name he calls it by. His latest DVD "More Proof" is more hype but it is over two hrs long not some cheapo 45 second comercial. Bechmark made one auto that was unique because the spring "pulled" the blade open instead of pushing. My Spyderco was NOT anything special in the edge holding dept, and did not resharpen well, but that's true of most serrated edges.
kct6

Post by kct6 »

First of all let me say THANK YOU for the kind replys. I use to own a Cold Steel but someone wanted it more than I did so they lifited it from me. OUCH! Im from Mississippi everyone I talked with says to go with Spyderco. I looked at 1 benchmade i saw it was over 200.00 so I really don't know anything about them. I will be using it for misc. use. Don't want one that the tip will be easy to snap off. Is the anymore brands out there that is better?
kct6

Post by kct6 »

oh. 1 other thing where is the best place on the net to get one. Also how well do you trust ebay?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

kct6 wrote:oh. 1 other thing where is the best place on the net to get one. Also how well do you trust ebay?
that's like saying - how well do you trust the goverment :lol:

you have to look at each sellers feedback to see how they have been rated by their trading partners - but generally ebay is a pretty safe place to do business! you can usually find some pretty good deals there too!
kct6

Post by kct6 »

i browsed through and saw some real good deals with feed back 100 % but I didn't know if there is a knock-off knife replica out there to watch out for
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

chances are if the seller has a %100 pos. feedback - they are not selling "knock-offs" - but one good way to tell is by averages - if the items you are looking at are 1/2 the price of everyone elses on ebay - there is something fishy going on :wink:

be suspicious if it seems too good to be true - and ALWAYS ask the seller any questions you have - a seller worth his salt will be more than happy to answer your Q's! you are already on the right track, as you are obviously doing your homework before you make a purchase!

my motto has always been if you can't decide between three knives - buy them all :D :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Check our Good Ones list for possibilities.
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=1733
kct6

Post by kct6 »

who has the best warranty I think CS has a 1 year and also dont spyderco resharpen it if you dont think it is sharp enough
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Benchmade [and others I think] will re-sharpen for about $5, but autos must be returned by an authorised person [Police/Military] or sometimes a dealer. Which holds an edge longest will start a loooong discussion, as we all have our own opinions.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yup - mr vagrant is right - it's like the age old question - which is better chevy or ford? (ford of course :wink: )
kct6

Post by kct6 »

Have to go with Ford too mrbigg :wink:
Last edited by kct6 on Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.