Fixed blade knife for hunting

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Fixed blade knife for hunting

Post by missaman »

I may be optimistic But it occurs to me i don't own a hunting knife.
On the odd chance i do actually get a deer i may need one :shock:
I'm open for suggestions Something off the shelf Not too hard on the wallet say top out at 100.00
I have no idea whats out there or who is a decent maker of this kind of knife.
Thanks
Missaman
Last edited by missaman on Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. Missaman,
I normally use a Puma, Pal or buddy can't remember what its called but I've used it for about 30 years. I have that blade sharper than a razor.
Its a fixed blade of 4", not a very wide blade so its good for cutting out the anus. Well, this year while doing the early deer hunt I shot a doe
and when I went in my bag I realized that I didn't have my puma. What I used was a 2 1/2" little sharade pocket knife that I had picked up
at sears while waiting in line at a checkout. Worked great! You don't have to spend a hundred on a gutting blade. Most of the guys I hunt with
even use a very small filet type knife. When is your season in the Nort land? I leave next week friday for 5 days.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Puma, BUCK, AG Russell sells a nice flat ground. The Schrade D'Holder is quite nice and the smaller Fisk Bowie by camillius also but both are more pricey. I think BUCK's new line up is nice.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

My grandfathers hunting knife was a small fixed blade knife 3 inch blade or so.
Season starts on the 28th
I was looking at some case knives on ebay they were running pretty high in some cases.
I have always liked buck quality.
Thanks
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I wouldn't go to long on the blade for gutting because a person tends to cut to deep and then you get that messy shit all over the place.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
jthm

Post by jthm »

old timer.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

A good Buck is always a good choice or the Schrade Old Timer, a bit on the small size. Maybe even a Cold Steel, they have some nice big blades.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Missaman,
I have been using a Grohmann out of Pictou Nova Scotia, by DH Russell. His #1 model, 4" blade in stainless. I have an old carbon steel which is nice, but stainless is easier to clean. Smoky Mountain Knife works carried this knife at a very reasonable price. You need to look at it. I also use a Buck Crosslock as a folder. Two blades, one is a drop point the other is a "Gut Hook". All you have to do is place the shot, drop the deer, remove the internals, haul the deer to the weigh station, haul the deer to the meat processer. He will skin the deer, he will make arrangements with the taxidermist, the taxidermist will pick up the hide and head. You pick up the meat a week later, all wrapped (Quantity about 56% of its dressed weight, provided you did not blow a hole in him with an 88mm). You pick up the mounted head in 6-8 months. SO, all you need a knife for is to zip him open Hannibal style, and gently remove non edible innards. P.S. You don't have to cut their throats after their down, the bullet takes care of bleeding them. Check out the Russell and check out the Buck Crosslock.

Regards,
SAM
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Any good SMALL to smallish knife. Linder, other German, assorted Scandanavian or U.S. made knives are all fine. I think Sovietski Collection
has a Pair of Mora [Swedish] for under $20. Nothing fancy [plastic sheaths, carbon steel] but I had one years ago and it was a great knife. At $20 each they would still be great. I have a Finnish one now very similar [plastic sheath, carbon steel] but it cost about $30. No need for big bucks on this one [especially if you don't get a big buck].
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Sam Hotton wrote:Good evening Missaman,
I have been using a Grohmann out of Pictou Nova Scotia, by DH Russell. His #1 model, 4" blade in stainless. I have an old carbon steel which is nice, but stainless is easier to clean.

Regards,
SAM
The Grohmann is worth doing a web search for. A little unusual looking to some, they are another all time great knife.
jthm

Post by jthm »

perhaps a sog
butch

Post by butch »

I use a casexx (doublex) hunter it cost about 40 buck's so its affordable and doe's a great job(I've field dressed many deer with it)
But if you want something with a smaller blade you can go with a folder.
Buck knive's are excellent and start at about $25.00 buck's for a good one.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
I remember the Mora's your talking about they had light wood handles witha guard and if you looked a it wrong you started to bleed. They were great knives and about $5 or so.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I had the econo model no guard, plastic sheath, it was awesome but "disappeared" during a trip to camp. I graduated to "better" [fancier and more expensive] things. Nice to see them available again. sovietski collection also has a few fixed blade Mikovs but not my style [most are too fancy]. See sovietski.com if you don't have a catalog.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Missaman,
Have you found a knife for your hunting trip yet? If you don't have to skin the deer yourself, you could field dress the deer with any 3 inch bladed knife. A number 7 size carbon steel Opinel or a grandaddy Barlow would work just fine. As a boy in the 1950s, I've seen the old men field dress deer with Barlows and other pocket knives.
If you have to skin the deer and the deer was still warm, I wouldn't hesitate to skin it with a pocket knife. Nowadays with having to take it to a DNR check station, the deer is stone cold by the time you get around to skinning it. You will think the hide is epoxyed on and will need something more substantial, like a 4 inch sheath knife with a up swept curve to the blade. You might want to check out the Marbles knife site. They make real classy, quality hunting sheath knives at fair prices, plus they have been around for a very long time.
Regards,
Sam