Stryke one

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ratstuph

Stryke one

Post by ratstuph »

Well, the loss of BA has had what may be an undesirable outcome. I have become convinced that I need a Benchmade 905 Mini Stryker. Does anyone have an opinion on this knife? It would be an edc. I like the style of thumbstuds it uses, but I'm concerned that the clip can't be moved to a tip up carry. The best deal I've found so far seems to be from knifeworks.com; anybody deal with them?
Any and all input would be appreciated.
Not your Father's Rat-tale
sheep-free since '93'...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Ratman
Been carrying a full size Stryker for 7 years or so as a EDC. Fits my hand like a glove. Clips into the small of your back and you forget its there. ATS-34 takes an edge like a straight razor and after all these years and knives later its in my pocket right now.
PB
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

PB
Does your Stryker have the point down positioned clip? If so, how do you adjust to that as far as ease/smoothness (Yes, I know: "PB is ALWAYS SMOOTH!") of deployment goes? The tip down style is just plain awkward for me when coming out of my pocket or from behind my back.
Thanks for the input!

...ats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Ratstuph
Excellent question because that would be one of mine if we switched. This knife is fairly light because it's all G-10 and is completely lined bothsides in Titanium. If anything it's more blade heavy. The blade isn't chisel ground its ground on bothsides. Anyway back to your question I am a tip down man. When this is clipped to say your pocket as you grab it your fingers and thumb are right on the disk when you reach for it so as your clearing your pocket your also opening it and "bingo" one open knife. The other reason I'm tip down (Although I have plenty of both ways) is if something ever happened to the ball dent and the knife only opened a 1/2 inch and you didn't know it your in for a nasty suprise when you reach for it. I also am not a big fan of Tanto's on folders but this one is cut a little fuller. Find a store or show and hold one I think you'd like it.
PB
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Okey dokey Pokey; you convinced me. As we speak/type a mini Stryker is supposed to be winding its way northward to my hot little paws. I ordered one from the originally mentioned dealer, but as I kept going to the website to check the status of my order I saw no change from "pending." So I contacted them and was informed that they were expecting a shipment in, this A.M. I cancelled that order (I really do not like placing an order then finding out the item is not in stock :x ) and found a yet cheaper one :) down in Texas at Ultimate Outdoors. The young lady with a beautiful (I almost fell in lust) southern accent that took my order, said they had one in stock. So straight up I-35 into my pocket, then the fun begins. I figure this style of opening will be a challenge for me. The only tip down I carry is the little Kershaw Scallion and I'm wary of trying with that one due to the spring assist action. I'll name my first self-inflicted incision (with the new knife) after ya P.B.
Rat & roll
sheep-free since '93'...
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

The mini Stryker (manual/non-auto) arrived a bit over a week ago. I am divided, to-date in my adjustment to it. Contrary to Mr. P.B's. experience, I have yet to become adept at smoothly opening the tip-down style, when bringing it out of my pocket. I question whether I will ever be good at it; it is just pretty awkward for me. Perhaps the size (and weight) difference between the mini and full sized Stryker accounts for part of the adjustment difficulty. I believe a larger and heavier knife might be easier to deploy smoothly. The handle is so light on this model that it offers no assistance in deployment, when grasping the coined back of the blade.
The blade style is unique to me--very cool looking and functional; sharp as a really bright forum moderator too! However, I am not pleased with the recessed nature of the serrated part of the blade (Go ahead you anti-serrationists; I'm expecting a few snide remarks). On other semi-serrated blades I posses, the longest points of the serrated part of the blade are even with the non-serrated part of the blade. On this knife, the serrated part of the blade is inset at least .2 cm, so looks kind of weird to me. However, it works very efficiently. Yesterday I had the opportunity to slice up a bunch of strapping tape and it cut right through it.
Size-wise, I think I would prefer the full sized model, in part to address the weight issue. I would have never have thought I would be concerned about a knife being too light! I also would prefer a bit larger of a knife for an edc, but this one is already pushing the limits of what can be viewed as a "dangerous knife" in my work setting. I may eventually consider a full-sized one as an accompaniment to this one. If anyone has a full-sized one they have been looking to give away, who would I be to refuse?
I figure I will adjust more to this one over time; I remember I was not so enthusiastic about my Boa when it first arrived. Now, it is my preferred edc!

Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I can see where a smaller one would be lighter and difficult to get used to. I have the large which could be the reason. The way I figure it always go with the large because a large knife can do anything a small knife can but a small knife can't do all a large one can. And I won't mention the serrations :roll: .
PB