Straight Razor

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Straight Razor

Post by JerrBear »

* WARNING *

Shaving with a straight razor is NOT recommended for serious drinkers and could be hazardous to your health.

I've had more than one mos' unpleasant experience whilst shaving with one of those olde, double edge "safety razors" after having sucked-up a few MB's. I found them to be not all that 'safeness'. Straight razors don't even have a jimpin' "safety!"
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
novice

Post by novice »

I switched from multiblade cartridges to disposables for cost then onto safety razors. My regular is a Schick Krona w/ Gillette Platinum Plus blades. I found a lifetime supply at a flea market awhile back. Then I found a Wade & Butcher "Silver Steel" 6/8 straight razor along with a few others and keep thinking about using one of them after I get it honed. One of these days maybe I will if I get my courage up.
novice

Post by novice »

JerrBear wrote:
I've had more than one mos' unpleasant experience whilst shaving with one of those olde, double edge "safety razors" after having sucked-up a few MB's. I found them to be not all that 'safeness'.
My first time out was bloody hell with a safety razor. The blade on most comes out of the razor head at roughly 90-degrees. On a disposable cartridge the blade angle is more like 45-degrees. That makes a major difference in how you hold it. After I figured that out and accommodated it worked fine for me. Prior to that however I was getting a slice every time I put the razor on my face.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

novice wrote:
JerrBear wrote:
I've had more than one mos' unpleasant experience whilst shaving with one of those olde, double edge "safety razors" after having sucked-up a few MB's. I found them to be not all that 'safeness'.
My first time out was bloody hell with a safety razor. The blade on most comes out of the razor head at roughly 90-degrees. On a disposable cartridge the blade angle is more like 45-degrees. That makes a major difference in how you hold it. After I figured that out and accommodated it worked fine for me. Prior to that however I was getting a slice every time I put the razor on my face.
One can get a darn close shave with a safety razor but as you stated they will still cut you good.
My first shave was with my fathers old safety razor,It only said Made In England,I couldn't find any other stamp or brand name. The razor was quite heavy and built to last forever.
Thing is with a safety razor I did not just get a nick or a cut,the thing removed a chunk of face meat :lol: and it bled for days.

Jerry- Not sure which is worse,not having a steady hand after a few drinks or the alcohol thinning the blood :lol: Maybe both.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

They call Straights "cut throats" for a reason. To be honest I don't recall even a nick in decades. I prefer the rounded tip and when I take a new or old razor up to shave ready, I always give the tip a rounded bevel. I do remember some serious nicks with "safety" razors back in the day.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I agree with Hogwild, never cut my self with a straight razor for as long as I can remember. The safety razors on the other hand, too mant cuts to mention. Always wondered why they call them safety razors, with all the cuts i've had and others. :roll:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

My dad got me a Dovo Best Quality straight razor for my birthday last year. I think they are in the 70-80 dollar range. He also got me a canvas/leather strop, a brush, shaving mug, soap, etc. It's probably one of the better gifts I've ever gotten. It's been nearly a year and the thing has already paid for itself. Dovo makes a good, solid, quality straight razor and even though mine could be considered "entry level" I'll probably be using it forever. As some others have mentioned there is a pretty sharp learning curve (no pun intended) but I found that after about 2 weeks I was no longer cutting myself at all. It's funny, the other day I was in a hurry and grabbed one of those cheap plastic disposable razors and somehow managed to slice up my face, but when I'm using a 2 inch long piece of steel with no guard I do just fine.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him." - Twain
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I've been shaving with a straight for some time. I recommend the straightrazorplace group as a resource, also I have some nice vintage straights I shave with, but haven't had the money to send them to Lynn and have them honed. I have a Swaty hone, but it just ain't enough for a couple of them. Anyway, I have like ten straights (I'm never unarmed, even in the can) and if need be, Vike I can part with either my Shumate or Red Imp. Both are really good razors. As to brands, I recommend Dorko or H. George Henry. As for countries of mfg, america, germany, england and sweden are the best. France is only ok if the razor is a thiers issard.

As soon as I can get it honed I have a hand forged wade and butcher wedge spike 7/8 with a hogbelly I'm dying to shave with. It's 120 years old if it's a day.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Shaving is a waste of time and/or money :wink:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

One thing I hate, as long as we are talking about straight razors, if the idea that they are dangerous and/or only useful as weapons. I remember when I got my straight razor (was still living at home). My mother flipped out, she said it was only good for slashing at people and slitting throats. But, here's my issue, the blade on this thing is THIN AS HELL, it's like glass, I seriously doubt that it could take any kind of slashing action without snapping off. Seems like anyone could easily defend against straight razor with little more than a styptic pencil. And, as for slitting throats, well a sharpened spoon can do that, really ANY blade can.

Most anyone who I've ever mentioned it to seems to immediate mention their possible use as a weapon.
Why do people seem to think all straight razors are weapons,; is this because of Sweeny Todd?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I don't specifically think straight razors are a weapon, I just consider everything a weapon. When I get a mossberg 500 marine shotgun, it gets to live in the bathroom as a weapon.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Anything with an edge can be used as a weapon, but the straight razors have always been used as a shaving tool for as long as men have beards.
I agree with Heviarti, anything can be used as a weapon in the right hands. A pair of keys used as knuckles or a rolled up magazine, to name a few can be deadly and are not considered weapons. :lol:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The legal system always tries to define "weapon" :roll: "Used as a weapon" would make more sense :idea: My .45 would make a great weapon IF I ever USED it that way but, all I have ever shot with it was tin cans etc, :wink: I once dealt with a mugger by pounding his head against a curb, was his head or the curb the weapon :?: I never intended to conceal either :wink: Politicians and lawyers [and lamebrains] should wake-up and define USE not possibilities :idea:
lamppa

Post by lamppa »

to shave with a straight you need the following:

1) shave soap, you can get a puck from wally world for 2.00
2) a scuttle (I use a coffee cup like item, works fine)
3) a brush, get a cheap one, they work fine at a place like CVS, walgreens, etc
4) a strop to really keep the edge smooth, cheap ones are 25.00 on ebay
5) a hone, the blade doesnt stay sharp forever Norton 4000/8000 stones can be found on the web for 80.00
6) a razor. DONT BUY A 20.00 CRAPPER. its better to get a 20.00 old one that is rusty than a new china one.
7) youtube, you dont know how to shave, so watch videos!!!!
they have videos on honing and stropping too! watch lots.
8) patience. shave slow, pay attention, lock the door.

its fun, but challenging and INTIMIDATING at first.

pressure, angle and direction take practice.

when shaving the left side of your face you use the left hand. that takes practice.
lamppa

Post by lamppa »