machate sp? needed

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Post by missaman »

My Khukuri came in today, this thing is a beast, i spent the afternoon hacking away at the offending remaining branches. This thing puts a machete to shame :twisted: :twisted: If you don't have one as a tool you gotta get one...
Missaman with a BIG ass knife in da hood
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

The Collins marque is now made in Columbia-still a good blade.
Tramontino machetes are cracker-jack, and will take an edge like an Exacto knife if you have them professionally sharpened the first time(in Latin America the campasinos like to start their own edge with a file, as suits the job they do).
But for hardwood like an oak, the Barteaux Brothers machetes are the thing, they're stiffer, and heavier.
See, machetes are made for a variety of tasks.
If you are cutting grass, vines or reeds, the very thin blades are best, and the longer, the better.
In hardwood country, you need a stouter blade, like a Phillipine bolo, to carry energy, reduce bounce-back and stand the stress of being wrenched loose.
Timber-beasts in the Northwest use the Barteaux knife for preference, and you'll find that a knuckle-guard is right handy to keep your hands safe.
Always hold a machete with two fingers, just in front of the grip, so that if you fall, the knife will slip harmlessly out of your grip.
Swing it with the little finger off the grip and a loose wrist, this gives more velocity.
Do not spend a lot of money on a machete, a rock or snag of old fence wire will destroy it fairly soon, so minimize your loss(get several).
Smokey Mountain sells Tramontino machetes in several sizes, for small money. and you will not be sad you chose the brand.
Machetes made in Columbia are also of fine quality,in my experience.
As for Barteaux Brothers, I don't know where to look for them just now.
The Cold Steel machetes are made in South Africa, where they know a thing or two about the subject, and sold in the African market against stiff competition.
If this is a large tree, an axe will serve you better than any machete, and a kukuri is just too short to generate the leverage needed for such heavy cutting(darn good for cutting brush and undergrowth, though).
Be careful! These blades will really hurt you, if you lose concentration on them for a few seconds-I've seen it done, and it is not pretty.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I have a place with a lot of brush and trees and I'll be damn if I would be without a chainsaw. Haven't any of you guys heard of them yet, they have been out since the 20s. Its the true Northern Hemisphere auto blade.
Mr. BIGG chops a 4" thick vine which a true tarzan could swing on takes one second with a CS. The cheapos can be picked up close to the cost of a blade.
It must be a knife thing cause if my neighbors up in the boonies saw me choppin trees and limbs with a knife they would call up the white coats to come and get me.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Investigate the Woodsman's Pal-I almost forgot about that one.
It comes in wood handle or the GI version with a stacked leather grip and knuckle guard.
There's a combat manual for it, somewhere, and if you had to figh with a blade, the Pal would sure be one.
It has a concave edgeabout ten inches long, a brushhook and a wide point end to be used as a shovel.
Pilots were issued the Pal in survival kits, and they loved them.
This blade will get very sharp, very quickly, and is easy to re-sharpen with a coarse stone.
Not a squisamaru, but a handy tool indeed!
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Oriental machete $10-$15. Tramontina $8
http://images4.fotki.com/v46/photos/1/1 ... 001-vi.jpg
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

[quote="Vagrant"]Oriental machete $10-$15. Tramontina $8