Carbon Steel

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Pushbutton,
Around 1987, I became very interested in the composition of blade steels. I was introduced to a man that dealt in scrap metals, mostly aluminums. He had a machine that you could lay a sample of metal in, close the lid and it would make an analysis of the composition by a non invasive, non destructive method. In a matter of minutes, it would provide a printout on a paper tape with the percentages of which elements were in the sample, although not the carbon content. It would also match the composition to a known steel by number. I tested every kind of knife I could beg, borrow or buy. Yes PB, I still have those tapes, however since it has been almost 16 years and since my surgery compounded by pain killers my memory has less edge than a Milano. I will find those tapes one day and provide this info. I do remember several things that were interesting. We have all seen the words "Made from surgical steel". Well I went to the base hospital and acquired ever different brand of scalpel blade I could and tested them. Many of them were of the same composition as a disposible Bic razor or a railroad rail. They were nothing special. Another one was my Randall and one of your favorites the SF fighting knife were of the same composition. Many of the old carbon steel knives were identified on the printout as "Match to" IRON. Hows that for mind blowing? Of all the knives and steels I tested with that metals dealer watching me with amusement, the only one that got him excited was an old Puma White hunter. When he saw the printout results on the tape, he ran for his metals book to look it up. It turned out to be a very exclusive small production of high quality steel. But that was the only thing that got him jazzed. I've looked for these tapes since you posted your question and am stumped for now, I will keep looking. In the mean time I would try and find a metals dealer that has one of these machines. They use them to segregate metals for recycling by composition as for example there are many differents types of aluminum and they make more money by segregating them rather than selling it in a mixed heap. Hope this gets you and the rest of us a mite closer.
All the best PB,
SAM
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Amazing, I wonder what that device costs? [Probably many times my net worth].
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Hi Vagrant,
I have no idea the cost of the device, but the owner did say that the money he made from being able to identify and sort the metals for sale more than paid for the machine. He drove a Jensen Intercepter as daily transportation. The physical size of the machine was maybe two feet by two feet and three feet high. It had a hinged cover on top, that when lifted revealed a shotglass sized button in the center on which you placed the metal sample. You then closed the cover, pushed a start button and waited for the tape with the printed results to pop out. On the exterior of the cover it had a radioactive symbol and perhaps a printed warning.
As I recall Vagrant, you also like firearms. I was curious about the composition of several vintage lead projectiles. You know how gunwriters like to make a big deal about the ratio of lead to tin in cast bullets, 40:1, 20:1? Well I have some Ely Kynoch cartridges in my collection. I tested a .455 Webley "Manstopper", and a .500/3 1/4 BPE (.500-136-340), It was cable sheathing. So much for Ely building bullets from virgin alloys back in the good old days. They used recovered scrap alloys!
As always,
SAM
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"He drove a Jensen Intercepter "

If it was the one with the FF [Ferguson Formula] all-wheel drive, THAT was a CAR. My attitude on lead [when used for practice at low velocity] is "Lead is lead". When used for serious purposes re-melted stuff advertised as "new" is not reassuring or honest.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Vagrant wrote:My attitude on lead [when used for practice at low velocity] is "Lead is lead". When used for serious purposes re-melted stuff advertised as "new" is not reassuring or honest.
When it's wrapped up in a copper jacket shaped like a truncated cone.... I don't give a shit what it is..... as long as it's .45 calibre... weighs around 230 grains.. and is travelling at about 800fps ...... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Sam
Thanks that would be great but no rush. I myself am going through several med problems and one involves the ticker so I know how the mind gets from the meds and I am also run down and ready for bed as soon as I get up in the morning. Works a nightmare cause I constantly fall asleep at my desk so don't even worry about finding those right now theres always tomorrow or next weeek or next month............Plus these young bucks on here are pestering me to post pics and frankly the thought of hooking the camera up to the puter and figuring out transfering them gets me tired just thinking about it but if I don't then they will just think of me as an old man full of shit and we wouldn't want that :lol:
PB