New guy signing in

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Guitars and Blades

New guy signing in

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Hi, guys,
I'm new to this forum and have recently started my modest collection. I have a 13" AKC Stiletto w/dagger blade and sissu wood scales, a GOM lever lock with brass bolsters and real stag scales and another in honey horn with steel bolsters.
I've had a few cheapies, old mexican blades and Edge Co. junkers over the years, but at 51, I'm a little old for kid stuff and want to buy some decent starter stuff to form the basis of my collection. I'm, drawn to the classic Italian stuff (too many James Dean movies?) and love swinguards and picklocks, but I also enjoy some of the US made stuff like Protech Godfathers and some of the gorgeous custom stuff I've seen.
Without mortgaging my house or any organs I might still enjoy, what recommendations do you more experienced collectors have for me (mfr.'s, knife types, etc..) I see Maniago Italy is the Mecca of the blade world and Frank Beltrame, AKC, AGA Campolin, AB, etc. seem to be the top notch production people, or is it just that they've had such long exposure in the market.
Anything you've got to offer advice-wise is appreciated.
Thanks,
Guitars and Blades
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
jarvis

Re: New guy signing in

Post by jarvis »

Welcome, G&B! Check the "Good Ones" thread for tried-and-true state-side sellers.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1733

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! :wink:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome :)
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Welcome!

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Welcome! I understand where you are coming from. Do a search here for " cottage industry" and you should get some useful information. Also, take some time to look through the old threads, particularly in the main forum. Regarding sellers, the good ones list contains reliable sellers. There are no doubt other good ones out there, but there are some bad ones as well. One nice thing about the forums is that when you have a specific question, just ask and you will find the members willing to help.

Jim
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

welcum aboard!!!

tryker
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hello! 8)
Radius

Post by Radius »

Welcome G&B !!
Sounds like you're off to a good start already.
If you like the Protech Godfather, I suggest you check out the Brend 1. :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

G & B,

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that the Book Switchblades of Italy is an excellent resource. One of the authors, Ragtimered, is a member here. Just mention an interest and I'll let him know to contact you about details. Your forum name indicates an interest in guitars. As an aside, Ragtimered is an excellent guitarist, I have one of his cd's and love it.

Jim
Guitars and Blades

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Thanks, Jim.
Yes, definitely interested in the book and yes, I love guitars, as well. I'm having my hand operated on for carpal tunnel so I won't be able top play for a while, but I can still use a blade one handed!!

G&B

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that the Book Switchblades of Italy is an excellent resource. One of the authors, Ragtimered, is a member here. Just mention an interest and I'll let him know to contact you about details. Your forum name indicates an interest in guitars. As an aside, Ragtimered is an excellent guitarist, I have one of his cd's and love it.

Jim[/quote]
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Welcome aboard, Mr. G&B.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. G&B!

Rather than recommend WHAT to buy, I would say this:

Find something you like. Then come here before you buy it and ask about it (preferrably with a pic)... Chances are there will be someone here who has one and can advise you on price, quality, etc...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Grim

Post by Grim »

Welcome I like the name Guitars and Blades 8) Im into the classic Italians myself too
DONT TREAD ON ME
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Guitars and Blades... If you are interested in the Switchblades of Italy book, you can find it online at Turner Publishing Co. Here is a link to the page on their website if you choose to order it. http://www.turnerpublishing.com/searchr ... egoryID=25 That's a bummer about the CT. I also make knives and ran the end of my finger into a bandsaw earlier this week... I'm out of comission for awhile on the guitar too and it is driving me nuts! If the link doesn't show up as a link, just go to http://www.turnerpublishing.com and you should be able to find the book.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Welcome G&B!!!
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...