Oreste DiBon

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Oreste DiBon

Post by jim d, »

6.25 in. open. All bought new by me and stored open in my knifechest. Stilettos are bolster release. Fish is picklock. Fish is $115, Light horn is $100, Stag is $90, Imitation horn is $80. $7 shipping, can combine shipping.
Jim
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG (172.74 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
Billyfish

Re: Oreste DiBon

Post by Billyfish »

I'm down for the fishtail if you still have it JIm.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I have one of the Fish Knives with French Point horn. I truly love that knife. All the Oreste DiBon knives are a good investment.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Pm sent
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Knives are sold.

Jim
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

3 of the 4 are Oreste knives , the 3 stilettos were made by him but not the lil fish i was told years ago the first re-make of the 6-1/4" fish were not made by Oreste but by AGA craftsmen at AGA shop , the 6-1/4" Fish Picklocks with (red dot) safety were made by Oreste for Folgore Knives USA, the AGA run of 6-1/4" fish picklocks came in traditional blackhorn,blondhorn, stag handles there were 300 made none had red dot, The Oreste 6-1/4" Fish picklocks were made in Premium horn like Brazilian, French point Tip horn , Sambar Stag, Ivory bark, mammoth ivory shaved and all these had red dot .
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

METALGOD wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:19 am 3 of the 4 are Oreste knives , the 3 stilettos were made by him but not the lil fish i was told years ago the first re-make of the 6-1/4" fish were not made by Oreste but by AGA craftsmen at AGA shop , the 6-1/4" Fish Picklocks with (red dot) safety were made by Oreste for Folgore Knives USA, the AGA run of 6-1/4" fish picklocks came in traditional blackhorn,blondhorn, stag handles there were 300 made none had red dot, The Oreste 6-1/4" Fish picklocks were made in Premium horn like Brazilian, French point Tip horn , Sambar Stag, Ivory bark, mammoth ivory shaved and all these had red dot .
I'm not quite in agreement with the 16cm fishtail picklocks Bernie. That is, unless a whole lot of collectors have been wrong about DiBon making them for a lot of years. There's multiple posts on SD Forum of many with no red dot safeties. Posts I just went back to 2011 to read. Or, are you saying that only the red dot ones were only for you, but DiBon made others without the red dot? The OP here has no red dot (obviously). I just can't imagine so many experienced collectors mistaken about who made their 16cm fishtail picklocks.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

misinformed i guess is why soo many experienced collectors thought they were made by him, when i Asked AGA years ago if Oreste Dibon made his lil 6-1/4" fish picklocks the anser was no they were made by craftsmen at AGA or AKC shop . the 6-1/4" fish i had made i can say for sure were definetly made by Oreste Dibon . the first run of AGA 300 lil fish would have taken Oreste forever to make as his shop was his garage behind his house and he did everything himself no helpers this is why i only had very small runs made with him he was 82 years old when he made my knives , the AKC 6-1/4" fish (blackhorn,blondhorn, stag) had no red dot safety. The Folgore fish 6-1/4" all had red dot safety and were made in Premium brazilian, french tip horn /stag/ivory handles.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

His shop was his garage behind his house? So, all the 6.25” swivel bolster stilettos that were made by DiBon by the apparent hundreds, were made in his garage? And why wouldn’t Angelo mark his knives A.G.A. Campolin or AKC? Something sounds more fishy than the fishtails here! 😂
One things for sure, it would have been so helpful if Oreste DiBon marked his knives with his name.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

JulesVane wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:20 pm His shop was his garage behind his house? So, all the 6.25” swivel bolster stilettos that were made by DiBon by the apparent hundreds, were made in his garage? And why wouldn’t Angelo mark his knives A.G.A. Campolin or AKC? Something sounds more fishy than the fishtails here! 😂
One things for sure, it would have been so helpful if Oreste DiBon marked his knives with his name.

yep shop was garage behind his house .
you will have to ask Angelo why he didnt mark his knives with AGA or AKC .\
these are the facts or what i was told years ago anyways.
Oreste Dibon really didnt need to mark his knives he had same stamps for like 50+ years so any real serious collector knows his knives and what stamps were used on his knives , little research and anyone can learn about knives he made and stamps he used.
Last edited by METALGOD on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JV has been doing research and trying to learn. The problem is there are so many conflicting stories in this hobby. And it doesn't help when the makers themselves seemed to change their "answer" depending on who asked....lol I give up trying to figure it out about 15 years ago....lol
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:38 pm JV has been doing research and trying to learn. The problem is there are so many conflicting stories in this hobby. And it doesn't help when the makers themselves seemed to change their "answer" depending on who asked....lol I give up trying to figure it out about 15 years ago....lol
lol and we are talking about men who drink vino every day between work hours (lunch time) no it is strange about the lack of memory though , im only passing down what i was told by Oreste good friend Lucio Dibon and Angelo when i asked him about the 6-1/4" fish .
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bernie...you’re referring to 50 years of stamps from DiBon, or people he worked for or under? We know he worked for Mauro Mario, but we don’t call that a DiBon stamp. Can you show us the DiBon stamps? If you’re saying A.G.A. Campolin made the 6.25” fishtail picklocks, what’s to say DiBon didn’t use those, possibly rescale them and add the red dot according to your request for your specific run? They all seem to be D stamped, 2 piece springs and NS bolsters. Just no red dot. Certainly not low quality knives. I just don’t think Angelo would have made them that way. They are kind of made too well for a 6.25” knife.

METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

i was told the 6-1/4" fish tail picklock stamps AKC used were owned by Oreste when Oreste got the stamps back he made my knives , my knives were made with different horn so horn was definetly different then the AKC run now other parts yes they very well could have been left over from AKC run but i was not informed or was it ever mentioned that they were ,i have pictures of the parts before the knives were assembled so they were not just re-scaled AKC fish , i actually have parts to all the knives Oreste made for me ( 4.5" , 5.5" picklocks) (6-1/4" fish picklocks) , i always wanted to have them framed in pieces and one all together both in frame together so i asked Oreste for every part of the knives i had made so i could frame them (still have not done it) lol
There is no (Dibon) stamp that i am aware of he did work for Mauro Mario and specialized in stilettos 6-1/4" and smaller so any stamp Mauro mario used back in 1950's he used also ( B.svoboda, B.svobody, Rosco, Mauro Mario) and bunch other stamps, so from my understanding he was guy who made all the little picklocks for Mauro Mario back in 1950's and continued on in the 1960's with trasitional stiletto's 6-1/4" or smaller , he worked up untill he had passed .
Akc has had some very good craftsmen over the years alot of their knives are very good quality knives and very well made.
Last edited by METALGOD on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

now what i would like to know as im sure many others would is who made the little Coricama's or Latama's 6-1/4" or smaller as i dont think Oreste made any for Coricama or Latama but anything is possible .