Cutler's Anvil by Duke Charlesworth

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Cutler's Anvil by Duke Charlesworth

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Being unable to find a well made one available for any price, I drew one up for Duke using dimensions he had in an old cutler's book. We modified the design slightly to give it a tapered horn and allowing us to create separate top, pedestal and base and assembled with hex head cap screws from the underside. The top is machined from high carbon 4140 tool steel hardened to 46-47C and then mirror polished. The base and pedestal are 1060 mild steel. It weighs in at a hefty 6 lb 12 oz (3.268 kg) and measures 5" (13 cm) from the tip of the horn to the tail. Height is 3-13/16" (10 cm) including the base. Please note photo distortion makes some shots look a bit out of line. Trust me, every thing is straight and true. Also the shots show the top to have an interesting pattern which was a surprise to Duke and I. As it turned out, this was residue from the tool drawer liner Duke wrapped it in to send to me and an application of Flitz removed it.

There's has been quite a bit of discussion about using 4140 over D2 or A2 steel. Rimbus Anvils of Seattle Washington recommends a Rockwell hardness of 50-52 and producing ultimate hardness in 4140 requires an extended "soak" time of two hours or more. For practical purposes Duke cut this shorter. This top tests to 46-47C, which we are deeming as "close enough". It may not last as long as a harder one, but it's plenty hard. Duke and I will probably be long dead by the time this needs resurfacing. We will explore alternate steels for the next batch, if there ever is a next batch. 4140 was selected because it has "high impact resistance" among steels.

The thick part of the top is 1/2" (13 mm) and the horn tapers from 5/16" (8 mm) to 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick.

The slots are 3/16" (5 mm) wide by 13/16" (20 mm) deep on either end. [Please excuse the ugly self portrait!]

The horn is 1-1/2" (38 mm) at the heel and 13/16" (20 mm) at the tip.

Here's the view from the other end.

The sturdy base is 3/4" (2 cm) thick by 6" (15 cm) by 4" (10 cm) and has 4 counterbored holes allowing for permanent or quick-change attachment to your work surface. The whole thing is so solid and sturdy that you can probably use it without mounting it.

The last one of these we found offered on Flea Bay was $400 and built from low carbon steel that could not be tempered. For now I am just showing what a tiny gem Duke built. If it is still available in a week or so I will offer it at our favorite auction, and then later on Flea Bay. Now that we have worked out the details, we can probably reproduce as many as are needed to meet the demand.

Your comments and questions are welcome: publically, via PM, or through my regular contact information. I really like this little guy and would keep it for myself, but I have practically no use for it. I'd much prefer it went into the tool shop of one of the other fine craftsmen on here.

Best regards
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ILikeStilettos

Re: Cutler's Anvil by Duke Charlesworth

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I have edited my original post to include certain technical aspects that came to light this week. Thank you for all the responses and helpful information.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

What you gonna do with the anvil if you don't mind me asking?
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

sammy da blade wrote:What you gonna do with the anvil if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind your asking at all. I don't build or mangle personally so I'd use it rarely. This is a high quality tool and Duke and I both want to see it used. I have put it up on SharperDeal auction.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690