WTB: Introduction to Switchblade Knives (Book)

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Shag

WTB: Introduction to Switchblade Knives (Book)

Post by Shag »

I am looking for a like new copy of this book by Ben & Lowell Myers, 1982.
My copy is drying out and the pages are coming loose.

Price should be reasonable, it's not a rare book and it isn't the draft of the US Constitution either. :P

There are copies all over but for some reason, people seem to make sure to fold their front covers just before they sell the book to a used book store. :roll:

Whether soft or hardcover either is fine.

You are welcome to PM me.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
john

Re: WTB: Introduction to Switchblade Knives (Book)

Post by john »

Hello Shag,
Check this out I hope it helps.
http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/q ... e%20knives
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Shag

Post by Shag »

Thanks John, I have scanned thru Alibris off and on for the past few months (plus Amazon) but either the books suffer from the 'fold front cover and then sell to used book dealer" or the dealers really overstate the quality of the book they are selling. A lot of them are in pretty rough shape, most worse than the one I currently have.

I am going to add some other comments in Off Topic, so as not to drift this thread off tangent.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
john

Post by john »

Hi Shag,
Any luck finding a book that's in good shape? If I find another source, I'll let you know.
John
John

Shag

Post by Shag »

I think I may have found a copy in what sounds like nice VG condition. I am writing the seller about some final details and we'll see what happens.

I did get a PM from a member on the forum here that had one for sale, but then he hasn't logged in now since 21/08/10, so that one is in limbo unfortunately. I may get a second additional copy if the price and condition is right. So please feel free to drop me any leads.

I sometimes like to have a backup copy of a good reference book. If it is a book that I like and is also a good reference work, I will sometimes buy 2 copies of the same book.
john

Post by john »

Hi Shag,
Why is this book so hard to come by and what type of info is in it? If you do pick up two books one to use and a back up and you're willing to sell your old beat up book I may be interested. If I find something I'll let you know.
John
John

Shag

Post by Shag »

john6553 wrote:Hi Shag,
Why is this book so hard to come by and what type of info is in it? If you do pick up two books one to use and a back up and you're willing to sell your old beat up book I may be interested. If I find something I'll let you know.
John

It's not that it is hard to come by, as you saw by your Alibris post; however, t is hard to come by either:

at a reasonable price - some idiots seem to think it is the Magna Carta or The Constitution. One store in FL has it listed for $300, and have been trying to flog it since 01/2009. But he seems to prefer having his shelves full of dead stock and tying up capital rather than selling things at a reasonable price.

or

in decent condition - so many of them have the front covers folded (NO idea why people would do that), or writing in them, or people's name written in them (why do people do that?) or highlights, notes, etc. inside of them.

and/or a combination of the two - someone will have one cheap but it looks like hell with all the folds and damage to the book.

It was published by two lawyers from Chicago in 1982 and was the first REAL switchblade reference book. There was other switchblade book published in 1981 but was a much smaller B&W manual. The Intro to Switchblades was professionally laid out and had a lot of colour pictures as well.

I'll see what I come across and what I decide to do with my old one, I may get a book binder to re-set all the pages into new glue; since other than that, my original one looks close to new. Even my copies that I use as working books look close to new - I don't mistreat my books. I will however keep you in mind should I decide to let it go and replace it with another copy.
Bama

Post by Bama »

Do a search on amazon.com there are several there.
Shag

Post by Shag »

Bama wrote:Do a search on amazon.com there are several there.

Thanks for the info, however I have been scanning Amazon almost daily for a year+ now for a suitable copy.

Right now, there are only 4 on Amazon. One is $150, the other 3 I have inquired about and all are damaged per my comments above.

I can get all kinds of scruff copies, the problem is getting some copies that were owned by people who respected their books and didn't abuse/misuse them.
Bama

Post by Bama »

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one over a decade ago that must have been tied to someone's tire. Got if from the former Edge Co. I was really pissed off when I got it. Anyway I will keep my eye out for one for you. I wish that the Meyer bros. would revise and reprint it.
Shag

Post by Shag »

I got my copy in 1982 directly from Ben Myers, if I would have been smart I would have bought an extra copy or two the way I buy other reference books now. But who thought of something like that back then?
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

john6553 wrote:Hi Shag,
Why is this book so hard to come by and what type of info is in it?
This book was all there was for a long time. Great info and pics on a very (at the time) mysterious and interesting subject. There just wasn't anywhere else to go for info in the 80's. The book has status just due to that.

FYI, I carved my name onto the cover of my copy...with an Edge Co. stiletto :mrgreen:
Shag

Post by Shag »

Roccomo wrote: FYI, I carved my name onto the cover of my copy...with an Edge Co. stiletto :mrgreen:

Sorry, but that to me is just pure desecration of a book. The ONLY thing I would allow is a signing by the author of the book and not cast that among the category of disrespect of a book. Doing a dedication or having the owner's name or anything else added, written, placed, stamped into/unto a book absolutely ruins it. It also makes the book absolutely worthless, imo. A book can't be replaced once a copy is vandalized unless a new print run is done.

Granted this is my opinion only and I am VERY anal about the condition of my books, so no slam at you intended. It's your property, so you can do with it as you wish.
john

Post by john »

Hi Shag,
Thanks for keeping me in mind, if and when you should decide to sell your copy of the book. From what I've read on this topic it sounds like a cool book to own. I'll keep my eye open for two books one for you and the other for myself. I'll check in with you every now and then.
Good luck finding the book.
John
John