11" F. Beltrame Stag Swinguard + 13" AKC Stiletto

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gfhoward

Re: 11" F. Beltrame Stag Swinguard + 13" AKC Stiletto

Post by gfhoward »

OK, I'm starting to get it, you guys talk in the For Sale area here, and even suggesting different prices and a different seller in people's for sale posts is fair game. No prob, I can respect that, there is a nice aspect to it actually, which is the "keeping people honest" part. The downside is you risk coming across as rude, especially to longtime members of other forums who may be new here. My suggestion is that you chat, if you want, about the knives, but maybe take suggesting a different price or a different seller to PM. I would also suggest you try to be nicer and more welcoming to newcomers, that is, if you want the forum to grow. If you just enjoy the smaller club feel like an old boys club where you know the deal and others don't, then continue on. Most forum owners want their place to grow. One easy thing ya'll could to to mitigate newcomers having a harsh experience is to state clearly in the forum rules that there is no restriction on discussion in the for sale area, including people challenging your price, etc. If it's expected, folks may choose to sell elsewhere, or know the deal beforehand. Finally, if some of you want to go through other people's for sale threads and challenge their prices as a way of "keeping people honest," I don't think I'll ever agree that helps camaraderie in the forum. But to each his own. I'll just enjoy the "discussion anywhere, any how" aspect of the forum, and hopefully learn form ya'll as I get more into these kinds of knives.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

[quote="gfhoward" The downside is you risk coming across as rude, especially to longtime members of other forums who may be new here.[/quote]

But you've been a member for over 4 years now. :roll:

I would think that after 4 years y'all would know this is an easy going place to talk about cutlery.

and people that PM you with the notion that your selling prices make you look like you just inherited Grandpa's switch collection and want to make your first million might actually be trying to help you look .....well...not so IGNANT !
HDC

Post by HDC »

I,m confused???? if you have been a member since 2004? why does the feedback on your high prices seem to be new to you? :cry: Have you ever been in the for sale section before?
stay thirsty my friend
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I am a member of Bladeforums as is the seller, and they are very strict there, in fact I posted that I recieved a knife from a seller and was happy with it, and was given a warning for making a comment in the for sale section, even though the site rules said only negative comments were banned from that section :o ....Anyway, I for one have enjoyed the fact that someone selling a fake or harshly over priced item is put on notice quickly here. This is a smaller community of specialized collectors that call it as they see it. The items you have for sale ( and posted on bladeforums for sale also), are welcome here, but I suggest you watch those fit and finish collectors on Bladeforum as most would consider any Italian knife not perfect in their world. Good luck with your sale, you are getting close to a good price..... :!: :!:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

gfhoward,

You have been a member here for 5 years and you have contributed absolutely nothing of value to this Forum. You are either asking what a knife is worth or trying to sell overpriced knives to the "rubes who just fell off a turnip truck" for twice what they are worth, and then whining about it when you get publicly exposed...

You feign ignorance as to what the knives you are selling are worth, but, if after 5 years you don't now the approximate value of common production knives, maybe you shouldn't be selling them. Someone might take advantage of you...

Whilst I'm ranting:

TO WHO IT MAY CONCERN

The "Buy and Sell" Forum is intended for members to buy/sell/trade knives from their own collections. It was never intended to be used by unscrupulous dealers as their own free online store. I don't know why the MODS have permitted this as long as they have...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I am a member of Bladeforums as is the seller, and they are very strict there, in fact I posted that I recieved a knife from a seller and was happy with it, and was given a warning for making a comment in the for sale section, even though the site rules said only negative comments were banned from that section
And Tom didn't even mention you have to be a "paying" gold or higher member to sell anything. Heck, you have to be a paying member to even use the "search" function.
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

Ummm . . . . I was actually trying to make amends, not ignite a whole different discussion. I joined 4 or 5 years ago, but have not been here since, and as you can see form my post count, I never spent much time here, or sold anything here. Hope that clears that up :roll: . There are many reasons to start a price higher. The knives are listed on more than one forum, I see higher prices than mine at online retails stores that are obviously doing business, and if I want to take a week to "walk them down" while I collect trade offers and otherwise decide what else I may want to do with them, its my prerogative. I knocked down the price and openly stated my prices were high, and to send offers, after I was advised by a member (privately) that he thought I was high. That should have been enough to ward off the jackals. If you want, go back and read my second post, and you will see that I am not trying to "take advantage" of anyone :roll: .

In my opinion, you guys take too narrow a view on where prices should be set. Sellers don't always want to set them at what they'll take right off the bat, and its not just because they want to take the highest offer. I often set prices higher at first, to accommodate people emailing me who really want the knife, collect trade offers, let the "international" crowd that needs more shipping support have a chance, and think about what else I may do with the knife. I then walk it down slowly, and highest offer takes it. It's simple, and I don't need to do alot of pricing research. Mind you, other times, if I know what something is worth and want a quick sale, I may undervalue the knife. I've been doing this for seven years, and I'm happy with the way I buy and sell from my collection. I'm only a collector, not a dealer, so I don't even know where that comment came from.

I don't have thin skin, so I'm happy to have this discussion and then go back to learning about Italian knives, which is why I came back to this site. Hope you guys don't have thin skin either, so we can agree to disagree on your for sale forum etiquette, and get back to enjoying the knives you celebrate here.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

hmmm
Think of us as a few people sitting at a table and you walk up and ask if any one wants to buy a knife?

We all look it over and tell ya what we think, if we have anything to say.

Since I am not interested in one and already have the other and know what they are worth and know where I can get them even cheaper... and also know that the fellows sitting around with me know what I know. Someone tells ya that your wares are a tad bit pricey for these parts.

I see some one selling way too high once I may not bother looking at what they have a second time

right now...I be getting up from the table and headed for the door.
Ya all have a nice evening....click :arrow:
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:hmmm
Think of us as a few people sitting at a table and you walk up and ask if any one wants to buy a knife?

We all look it over and tell ya what we think, if we have anything to say.

Since I am not interested in one and already have the other and know what they are worth and know where I can get them even cheaper... and also know that the fellows sitting around with me know what I know. Someone tells ya that your wares are a tad bit pricey for these parts.

I see some one selling way too high once I may not bother looking at what they have a second time

right now...I be getting up from the table and headed for the door.
Ya all have a nice evening....click :arrow:
Would be different, if when given the info on price, the seller said, "Well I'll take any fair offers then." Which is what I did.
"
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

gfhoward:
Sorry that you feel there have been intrusions on your sale post. I think they are nice knives and the most current prices you offered are fair. I already have an AKC 13". If I had the money I would buy the stag one that came down in price because I like the scales but I don't have the $.
I think the for sale thread is great to have and that the experienced members here should help or warn us all on any threads.
Other sites exist. This forum is talkblade :)
Leverlock switchblades
omega

Post by omega »

gfhoward wrote:Hey guys, a member has been kind enough to let me know that my prices are a little on the high side. Since I don't deal with these knives very often, I looked around online a bit, and thought these prices were a good place to start. But it seems they are a bit high. So I'll drop the prices on both.................

$160 on the stag Beltrame

$100 on the 13" AKC
I'm the guy who originally "crapped" on your ad by suggesting that you check an auction source for help with your pricing. My posting was intended to be helpful to you in your efforts to sell your knives. Believe me, the tone of that post could have been pretty harsh had I really wanted to kill your sales. Your own posting (above) seems intended to suggest that you are ignorant of pricing, so I decided to offer my help. Later, you posted "I've been doing this for seven years..." We can now see that your pricing is based more on greed than ignorance.

As far as my posting in your for sale thread, its commonly done here, regardless of what may be the rule on other sites. You've been here for 4 years....... when in rome??? In thinking about it, you might find the "paid-advertising" nature of other forums more in keeping with your desire to publish a thread without comments from the peanut gallery.
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

omega wrote: you posted "I've been doing this for seven years..." We can now see that your pricing is based more on greed than ignorance.
Thanks for the insult, I'll take that as a sign of your character and not stoop to your level. I meant that I've been buying and selling for seven years, not that I know anything about these kinds of knives. I think I've been clear that I set the prices for these not knowing much about them, lowered them when I was advised, and based on what I saw at other online retailers, did not lower them to your standards. Greed? I hardly think so. You're the one who lowballs other members when they post stuff for sale. I'm pretty sure if anyone had sent me a fair offer by now they would own the knives. I deal with high dollar knives mostly, in the hundreds and sometimes in 4 figures. I hardly need to squeeze an extra $20 out of a $100 knife. You can read my previous post to learn about pricing and the different ways it is set. Hopefully that bit of education will keep you from thinking everyone should set prices at what you think the knife is worth. Then, feel free to roam the for sale ads insulting your fellow forum members. :roll:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

This thread is getting MOS' tedious...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

JerrBear wrote:This thread is getting MOS' tedious...
I AGREE!!
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

The AKC is sold. $115 shipped on the Stag FB. Thanks