Pocket pool

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

a quick google revealed this
http://www.thunder5.com/docs1.html

pretty cool.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Sam,
I was looking at one of those thunder fives at a gun show a while back. You are quite correct about its Ability to repel boarders. The man who had it said the quality of the weapon was questionable. The link Sammy posted shows a gun that looks a little diffrent than the one I saw. do you know if there was a design change? Or maybe it's the same and my memory of the gun is poor,the one i saw was a few years back.
Thanks Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

An very interesting weapon but not in the "pocket" catagory.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Unless you have large pockets :lol: My brother in law rest his soul :cry: was almost 400 lbs. I swear he could have put that pistol in his pocket
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

400?!?- he could put small children in his pockets. :shock:
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Ankle rigs are suicidal-you cannot access the weapon with any effective speed.
Many ankle rigs were used by cops who were required to carry at all times-they could say, well, yeah, I have the damned thing.
An ankle rig is good for when you get knocked down-and it happens with distressing frequency to cops- and it's real fast from that position.
As for the .22, .25 and other teeny guns, well, if squirrils are attacking you, the noise is bound to distress them.
For humans-the .32 Silvertip is the floor.
There are lots of very good small automatics available.
That Thunder Five is a piece of junk, I've seen them, and they are of wretched quality(personal opinion, but from a guy who has owned over 200 handguns in his life.)
There are three names in handguns today-Glock, Glock and Glock-and I never liked them until I had one issued to me(they need trigger work, and real bad, but they are reliable as sunrise.)
The smallest Glock models will conceal as well as any serious firearm made, and dispose of a lot of power.
Too many of the scrotes of our time are so full of dope that being blown up with a grenade is the only thing that will stop them, right away.
Mini Glock, .40 Auto, serious protection.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Mors,

But Glocks are just so darn homely! :?
And they hide the hammer so you can't see it! :wink:
And what kind of name is GLOCK anyway? It doesn't sound like a good old USA name like Colt or Smith&Wesson - it's a commie name! :shock:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

out of these 3 pages havent heard H&K mentioned once.....what happened?
no fans out there?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The P-7? sgueese cocker was VERY interesting :!: My HK-4 is nothing special :( Maybe others have more experience.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good Morning HTMLBali,
I am a fan of H&K. I have been a fan of H&K since 1975 and a user of their products since 1983. The P-7 M8 or the P-7 M13 are as good a automatic as one could want. I shot the highest score I've ever shot during night firing at Rio Hondo back in the 80s using the M-8. I've found most folks that just want a firearm for occasional protection shy away from H&K because of the price or they know little about them. There are some quirks with the gas system, for example the European P-7 works well with the full pressure European or Canadian ammo, but with the lower pressure American commercial ammo can be iffy. The M-8 with the American gas porting works wonderful with the American spec ammo. For the folks that like shooting cast bullets for practice, it is not recommended, as it will foul up the gas system. The polygonal rifling is brilliant for many reasons, but one of the things we found out is that the standard lands and grooves configuration scores the bullet jacket and actually aids with bullet expansion where the polygonal bore maintained the bullet jacket integrity. SO, with a subsonic at low velocity, the jacket was not scored by the rifling and expansion of a bullet from a poly barrel was virtually non existant. This failure to expand also occured with the S&W Nyclad ammo standard weight and velocity, in my weapon P-7 M-8, I fired the round I recovered the round. The same lot of nyclad fired from Browning Hi-Power with a barrel with conventional rifling expanded over two times its .355 original diameter. Geez, this is too much technical crap. Sorry! Yes, I am a fan of H&K. Wish they would have continued with the "caseless ammo" and the CAWS shotgun project.
May all your shots be X's Bali,
Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The only caseless ammo I have any experience with is the [long discontinued] Daisy VL. Since the ammo is rare, expensive and old I have not shot a lot of it. The occassional misfire can be due to age [as much as 36 years old]
14934797 Unique Daisy Heddon VL Caseless Ammunition Box 100 4bids $14.50
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Mr Vagrant,
Talk about shades of the old Volcanic, You are the only person I know with experience with the Daisy VL system. The next thing you'll tell me is you have a Gyrojet or a Tround, I will not be surprised! How is its accuracy as compared to an air rifle, how do you clean it? Good Lord, I'm amazed that the rounds will even fire let alone still be obtained. You sure got my attention. What a fine collectors piece.

Regards,
Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Sam Hotton wrote:Good evening Mr Vagrant,
Talk about shades of the old Volcanic, You are the only person I know with experience with the Daisy VL system. The next thing you'll tell me is you have a Gyrojet or a Tround, I will not be surprised! How is its accuracy as compared to an air rifle, how do you clean it? Good Lord, I'm amazed that the rounds will even fire let alone still be obtained. You sure got my attention. What a fine collectors piece.

Regards,
Sam
No experience with Gyrojet [damn fascinating gun/ammo] or Dardicks tround [not as radical] last I knew Dardick was making a device to blast through rock when drilling for oil, using the tround principle. [This was years ago]. I own a Daisy VL, but have only about 50 rounds left [have shot about 250].
I'd buy a repro. of the Volcanic in a second IF reliable ammo was available :!: :!: :!: [Am I the only one???]
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Man, you guys keep talking... Im learning enough to write a book...
About every other sentence, I have to go google, just to find out what your talking about... GREAT STUFF!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The original question [pocket pistol?] has a limited number of answers, small pistols [that need a holster] are much more common.
For one that actually fits in a pocket I'd go with a Beretta or the NAA. The speed/power of the NAA intriques me but I haven't tried one.
If the caseless VL concept had worked and been reliable it could have made a pistol even more compact since there was nothing to extract/eject. A caseless VL semiauto [rifle] worked perfectly at a press release, but an engineer later admitted that was the ONLY time it did. Even if someone makes a caseless round that works 100% they still have to get it to SELL, and shooters are mostly conservative about new ammo types. [The electronic ignition systems seem o.k. but have not "set the world on fire"].