Pocket pool

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Pocket pool

Post by missaman »

Mr Vagrent,
If one was looking for a very small pocket pistol lets say for the summer time [ no coat ] While workin' in da hood what would be your choice...
Raven arms makes a small .22 as well as Beretta But one may want a little more stopping power say a double shot .38 .40 at close range...??
Missaman 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Beretta in .32 would be better than any two shot. [most derringer types are clumsy and inaccurate and large caliber does not make up for that] North American Arms has a small auto that is available in .32 and .380 PLUS the new .32 NAA [a new round that is a .380 necked down to .32]. This one intrigues me, over 1000 fps from a pocket pistol. http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/32_0924/

[excerpt]
The .32 NAA is based on a full-length .380 ACP case. Measuring .680 inches in length, the little hot rod features a short neck that is designed to securely hold a 60-grain .32 caliber JHP.

Typical of Cor-Bon loads, the .32 NAA round is designed for serious business. Launching a 60-grain JHP bullet, Cor-Bon predicted 1,200 fps and 192 ft-lbs of energy and the combination exceeded Cor-Bon's predictions. Twenty rounds averaged a blistering 1,204-fps with an extreme spread of 69 fps and a standard deviation of 19 fps on the Oehler 35P. The combination accounted for 193.09 ft-lbs of energy.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Kel-Tec makes a small .32 and if i'm not mistaken they make a small .380 now too. i had one of their 9mm pistols and was very happy with it! reasonably priced too. i had a Beretta Tomcat .32 and i thought it was a bit to wide for a pocket pistol, pricy too! i'd go with an old cheap assed Titan .25 before i'd buy a Raven .25 the Raven is larger and heavier than the Titan. i have'nt seen a new Titan in awhile but there are plenty of used ones at gun show's in my area! i had one that was obviously shot quite a bit, good little hideout gun for the $65 i paid for it. i had a raven years ago too and i prefered the Titan.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For the money the Titan is one of the best guns ever made :!: I don't think they're imported any more [someone please prove me wrong.
A used one would be fine. The [much] greater "horsepower" of the .32 NAA makes it very appealing, a 60 grain bullet at 1200 fps has it "all over" the 45 grain at 800ish of the .25!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

me likey :twisted:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

The last timeI saw the report on stopping power, compiledfrom actual shootings, the .32 Silvertip was equal to most .38 Special loads out of a 2" tube, and close to most of the .380 auto loads.
Derringers are a snare and a delusion, more dangerous to the operator than to the target.
Never carry one of these things, ever.
With the right rig, the mini-Glock is as concealable as you might want-with lots of power.
I actually carried one for many years, and found this to be true.
It will fit in most .380 rigs, including the ones that go in your front pocket, great for the summer time.
Never carry any firearm in a pocket without a holster-it's dangerous, and makes concealment difficult(not to mention lint and mung buildup, and mung is a killer!)
Life has no value, but death has it's price
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks for the input :D
I do like the little auto Now if i could learn not to shoot holding the gun sideways and over my head like the real gangstas :wink:
Missaman
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

My Kel-Tec .32 also has a clip making carry easy. Kinda like the clips ya see on some tact folders. I also like it that the slide locks after the last shot making a combat reload easy. many of the smaller autos don't do this.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

More or less .32-20 power from a pocket auto [recent loadings of the clasic .32-20 have been much "tamer' than earlier ones].
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Hi Missaman,
When I used to carry concealed in las Vegas in summer, I was limited to what I could carry due to the light clothing and the heat. Here are some options that worked. Using a holster that is named Thunderwear which is strapped around your tummy and situated above your pubic bone, you can carry when wearing pleated dockers style pants a .45 Glock with ease. I used to carry that or a Walther PPKs stainless in .380. The Glock had a Robar finish. Carry in that physical area will rust a carbon steel weapon. occasionally I would carry a 7.62 Tokarev because it is very flat in profile, and powerful with extreme penetration, in a Gould & Goodrich Model T727-LG "Body Guard" elastic holster that goes around your ribcage. This will not profile in any loose fitting shirt. Another option is a Baretta Model 70 in .32 auto in a inside the pants holster in the middle of the back behind the spine with shirt out. Also, I found that a .38 special Colt Agent can be carried easily butt forward on the left side with shirt tucked in with an elastic belt on. The revolver is covered by the tucked in shirt, and I'm right handed in case you wondered. Another possibility is with the "Baby" Browning .25, have a "Watch pocket" sewed into the inside waist band of your trousers and carry your .25 in this inside watch pocket. You can stick your thumb inside your waistband and easily retrieve it when needed. Safariland makes a model 252 holster for .25 carry that looks and profiles like a wallet in your back pocket. After saying all that, I must also say please be careful as most LEOs know these methods of carry. I don't want to see you get busted. PLEASE be careful. I think the Thunderwear is the best method of carry and a Stainless PPK or PPKS in .380 is my choice with its double action first shot and a proven safety.

Sam
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I will buck convention here and go against all your advice. I would carry the same 44 magnum as Clint in that last dirty harry flic. If it's real hot out who's gonna notice cause everyones sweating anway.
PB
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Pushbutton-

Take it from me... No-one will bother you if you follow my lead... Just wear a football helmet covered with epoxied-on, outward facing, 16d nails and razor blades-glass shards. This works like a charm for resolving any- 'That's my parking spot!' confrontations, AS well AS wresting the last bus seat from the largely pregnant foreigner lady or the elderly.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

OR you can have a H&R break open 3 inch magnum 12 guage shotgun with a 9 inch barrel loaded with 1 3/4 ounces of fletchettes.

six of one
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I like the Walter PPK 380 or the LLama .380 for personal carry. Both are compact and have enough stopping power for defense and easily concealable.
Just purchased a Charter Arms Mug Pug .357 with 5 rounds mag. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but this baby look like it can stop a truck.
Small and lightweight and easily carried in a ankle rig.

~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Razor, that's a nice looking revolver. I've never used an ankle rig, I'll have to try one and see how I get along with it.

Sam