Listen to your Grandmother !

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Listen to your Grandmother !

Post by Vagrant »

In [about] '56, my Grandmother, told me, "ignore the nonsense they teach you in school, the Vikings discovered America, not Columbus". In the '60s "L'anse aux medows" was discovered [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Anse_aux_Meadows ] :!:
Grandma was ahead of her time [so were the Vikings] :idea:
Viking45

Re: Listen to your Grandmother !

Post by Viking45 »

You are correct Sir.

I may be(hopefully) living proof of this.

My grandmother (mom's side) grew up in Oklahoma as her mother was Cherokee/Norwegian and the interesting thing is that both women had skin tone and hair color of the Cherokee people but had clear blue eyes. Cherokee people had very light skin tone compared to many other Native American tribes.

My grandmother wore her extremely long hair in braided pigtails and then wrapped them around her head like a wreath. Just like Norse women have done for centuries.
In the late 60's she told a few of kids that we all had Norwegian blood. She never mentions her Cherokee blood as if it were taken for granted.

All of of her sons/daughters (12 of them,my aunts,uncles,mom) were large,fair skinned people and all the men were skilled in metal work,and every single man(my uncles) served in the Marine Corp and one Army. (WWll and Korea) one was in Korea and Vietnam.

My grandmother told us many stories of the "old ways", never used the term viking or Cherokee but it was a combination of both Norwegian culture/foods and Cherokee culture/foods etc.
She went on to tell us about how important it was to preserve spring/summer berries for winter and she was a master at canning. She had an underground cellar that kept food she canned herself.
Collard greens,beats,peaches,beans(every bean known to mankind),okra,potatoes(every tater known),berries,jellies/jams,pickles,cabbage,kraut,apple butter,pears,apricots,corn,lettuce,cherries,radishes,turnips(turnip greens),spinach and made her own butter.
She even had a Buckeye tree which are very rare today. (They're Good luck)

The list goes on but I won't tire you details.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote:You are correct Sir.

My grandmother (mom's side) grew up in Oklahoma as her mother was Cherokee/Norwegian and the interesting thing is that both women had skin tone and hair color of the Cherokee people but had clear blue eyes. Cherokee people had very light skin tone compared to many other Native American tribes.
To add to the confusion, the [highly debated] claim that some Cherokee are of Jewish origin :?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Vagrant wrote:
Viking45 wrote:You are correct Sir.

To add to the confusion, the [highly debated] claim that some Cherokee are of Jewish origin :?
Are we getting into the "Lost Tribes" business? Are the Mormons involved? If so, is the Angel Moroni Italian, Jewish or Cherokee? The mind reels with the possibilities...

On the West coast, there is some evidence that the Chinese landed in a couple of places. true, the evidence is thin, but some Chinese style anchors of large size, much too large to be used by fishing junk built by later Chinese immigrants, have been found.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

And now it's time to mention the spalding manuscript.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

heviarti wrote:And now it's time to mention the spalding manuscript.
The plot thickens :roll:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Funny thing,I have a very good friend that is Jewish/Cherokee.
I mentioned him here a long time ago. He has played with the band Ozark Mountain Daredevils. He is not an original member but stood-in a few shows playing harmonica.
He has a great sense of humor and I used to tease him about his heritage.

This was taken a long time ago when he played with one of the original members of the Daredevil's band called Supe and the Sandwiches. Kind of silly and although I was not a big fan of their music I certainly never told him that.
Mark the Indian Jew is on the far right and the another old buddy of mine Bill, with the pan on his his head was killed in a house fire 5 or 6 years ago.
He was an incredible guitar player. The black gentleman Don Ships was also killed in the house fire along with Bill.
supe.jpg
supe.jpg (229.76 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Don Ships band(bass) They were great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-CDm96s0s

Another local band,they play our pub all the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzcFp3lf_U

I can't believe what I just found (while I was typing this) I was looking for a better photo of my dear friend Mark and discovered has passed away last Friday.
I just saw him at our local pub the weekend before. His little dog was by his side for over 14 years and was always with him at the pub.
Having a very hard time taking this in right now.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/news-l ... bLoggedOut