Rommel hunts big-game ;]

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Rommel hunts big-game ;]

Post by Viking45 »

heviarti wrote:Don't tell PETA, but here's how I feel about ticks.
I feel the same way :lol:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Ticks are just reincarnated democrats, BLOODSUCKERS :!:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

tequiza wrote:Ticks are just reincarnated democrats, BLOODSUCKERS :!:
:P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Here's a pic of a strange clumsy bee I photographed in the hills. Anyone know what it is?
Attachments
Beebig2-1.jpg
Beebig2-1.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

Viking45 wrote:Krab is there anything on your island that "isn't" deadly or poisonous?
In the US we have two spiders to worry about,black widow and the fiddle-back(brown recluse) You however have two spiders that are not poisonous and all the others are deadly :lol:
All your snakes,jellyfish,scorpions,spiders and even your ants can kill a feller. :shock: :lol:
Here ants may be nuisance, there ants kill :lol: Hey I hate television but love my nature shows. I know about the Jack Jumper- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant

Not long ago we were talking about a critter we have here in the states called a velvet ant,it is a wingless wasp and these guys are no joke.
As a kid I saw this big red fuzzy ant and tried to pick him up...three days later my thumb was still on fire :lol:
Why yes Viking, we no longer have the "social poison of deadly firearms" (sarcasm-for those that don't know me).
Yeah, that Velvet ant just looks like something to avoid. I didn't know those ants were called "Jack Jumpers" - I've always known 'em as "Tiger-Bullies," & yes they Frikkin hurt! We've also got Emerald Bull Ants. They don't sting as hard, but are excellent "bush-sutures". If ya get gashed up, you grab some & apply them to yer cut, (mandables average 5mm on big uns) once it's latched on, a jaw each side of the cut. You twist/pinch the body, & their heads are locked on for 2 or 3 days.
& here's some cute native bees for you, Arti: http://www.aussiebee.com.au/gallery.html The 1's in the upper left pic barely get to a cm in length. These are the type I'm most familiar with. The poor little tackers always seem to do life hard, 'cause ignorant drongos kill 'em. Either because they find a hive & feel threatened by a stingless insect, or mistake them for flies. :( Not to mention habitat, -they live in tree hollows/rotten branches, & commercial honey bees beat them up for nectar/feeding grounds.
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Arti I think your little guy might be a moth that looks like a bee. There are many flies and moths disguised as bees.
Just a thought :?:
Only one way to find out :lol:

Krab- I don't watch television much but years ago I would watch our buddy Steve Erwin and I enjoyed his show.
He talked about the Jack Jumper ant and how nasty they can be. I looked again and it says they are a species of Bull ant so you know your bugs mate.

And we thought our black widow was bad
Australia has this critter-Funnel Web :shock:
Attachments
sydney funnelweb spider.jpg
sydney funnelweb spider.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I assure you it's not a moth, as it does not have scaled wings. As to it being a fly, look at t he head structure.... all wrong for a fly. Also, the only fly I know of that acts as a pollinator doesn't do so out of instinct like a bee, rather a plant has a scent like rotting meat and draws the flies to it for pollination. As soon as I watermark the photo, I'll post it to a site where they identify insects. Meanwhile, enjoy this beetle I photographed.
Attachments
375110_534159866622253_1991934202_n.jpg
375110_534159866622253_1991934202_n.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

& that's a typical response pose! I've never come across a more aggressive spider than the Sydney Funnel Web, bad-arse! They can put them fangs through boot leather. When I was a kid, we used get $2 each for 'em from the local pharmacist who on-sold them to be milked for anti-venom.
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Krab I just read where they were asking people to catch Funnel Webs and bring them in to make antivenom or antivenin (seen it spelled both ways)
Those are big mean spiders and have some of the worst poison there is and they say the bite hurts like hell.
A few years ago I spoke with an Aussie feller and he said it was part of his morning routine to shack his clothes,socks and boots out for fear of a spider or scorpions.

What scares me the most is "drop bears" :lol:

You're right Arti,it must be a bee.
We have a moth around here that flies like a hummingbird. You can actually hear them when they buzz by.
Here's a pic of a fly and a moth that resembles a bee but look nothing like your guy. The moth clearly has a different head.
Oh and we have several different kinds of those flies that look like bees around here.
Never seen a beetle like that.Very strange.
Attachments
bee-fly.jpg
bee-fly.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
bee-moth.jpg
bee-moth.jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

The beetle is the Blister Beetle (Tricrania Stansburyi) no word on the bee yet.