Burger Sword Canes

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
andy17

Burger Sword Canes

Post by andy17 »

Anyone here have any experience with Burger sword canes? They seem to be the best modern sword canes being made, but I note they use 440C for the blades, which I've seen a lot of people say is not great for swords. I saw one person say that they preferred the basic Burger model (which has a square tapered blade) because it used K510 carbon steel.

Any comments?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Burger Sword Canes

Post by Vagrant »

Almost any carbon steel should be stronger/tougher than 440. But, it will rust if you don't maintain it carefully :idea:
andy17

Post by andy17 »

Thanks for that. They do say that the carbon steel blades are nickel plated, thus "guarantee[ing] corrosion resistance in the severest conditions". Does the fact that they do their own hardening and tempering of the 440C make it any better suited to a sword blade? These are not cheap and there are not many people making quality sword canes, so it's a bit disappointing that the steel isn't better. I understand they do have a Damasteel option, but that makes an expensive cane even more expensive.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Until laser cutting [and other advanced techniques], all stainless blade were cut out with carbon [tool steel] dies.
That should give you a clue as to how much tougher it is :idea:
rarewaves

Post by rarewaves »

I don't have any comments nor suggestions. The use of my Burger Sword Canes is only for display.
MarcusRobinson

Post by MarcusRobinson »

The most basic steel used (by Finnish makers) would be a carbon steel with 0.6-0.75 per cent carbon, but different steels are available. The Hopeateräs mentioned above, Böhler K510 is one that's popular. 1085-1095 equivalents are common, sometimes with small amounts of vanadium or chromium.

Thanks a lot
Marcus Robinson