rizzuto/novice

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CaryG.

rizzuto/novice

Post by CaryG. »

I was the fortunate winner of the rizzuto broken button, don't open, don't lock, piece of junk on BA. Somehow I thought these knives were something worthy of my attention. THIN liners, JUNK button mechanisms;
PLASTIC,punched pressed scales etc. Is there another breed or am I just nai've?
THanks, Cary;
W.O.R.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

From what I've read, you got a good one.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: rizzuto/novice

Post by Bonzo »

CaryG. wrote:I was the fortunate winner of the rizzuto broken button, don't open, don't lock, piece of junk on BA. Somehow I thought these knives were something worthy of my attention. THIN liners, JUNK button mechanisms;
THanks, Cary;
W.O.R.
Mr. Cary,

How many years did you run the kettle before you learned to climb a ladder?

Oooop's! Gotta run! Couldn't resist!

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Your first question should have been- 'How many years were you 'kettle wheel chock head man' before you learned to run the kettle ? That's where all good roofing wiseguys start on my crew. From there, you graduate to 'shoe turd chopper', then to 'blame acceptor', soon to be promoted to ' you buy, and fly' beer getter.

How do ya' like it?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Another example of roofer vs. roofer cruel camaraderie! :lol:

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
CaryG.

Post by CaryG. »

Thanks my shingle butt brothers! Next time I have a stupid question I'll just call the roofers union,
W.O.R.
CaryG.

rizzuto/novice

Post by CaryG. »

SOOoooo,I took a preety good verbal shellac'in from my fellow asphalt enginers bout my rizzuto but look whos got one for sale on BA!
Care to esplain Lucy?
W.O.R.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

The Bonz? :lol:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Cary,

Uh, I pass the bid to you.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
Springblade

Re: rizzuto/novice

Post by Springblade »

CaryG. wrote:I was the fortunate winner of the rizzuto broken button, don't open, don't lock, piece of junk on BA. Somehow I thought these knives were something worthy of my attention. THIN liners, JUNK button mechanisms;
THanks, Cary;
W.O.R.
Carry,
If you ever see a Rizzuto that has a broken anything.....don't buy it. I like them because it was the first switch I saw on T.V. that made me want a switchblade, but once they break.....they're just that....broken! I'm fortunate enough to have two of them in near mint condition. I don't even dare play with them because I want them to keep working. If you try to work some magic to try to repair one you'll find that you'll be better off building one from scratch.
Springblade
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The thing about Rizutto's is everyone says there a piece of shit but considering how long ago they were made those pieces of shit for the most part have sure lasted over the years. You can find a mint Rizutto faster then a mint Coricma for some reason.
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

PB,

Good point, I have never owned a Rizzuto so this may seem very elementary. Were they all made pre-1958 and are they Italian, or are they like the modern "Milano" stiletto?

Jim
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

What Mr. Cary was complaining about is a common fact concerning these knives. Massed produced, with little or no quality control. Repeated firing will wear out the locking mechanism, creating a loose lock and causing the blade to sit proud in the closed position since the blade is a button release. I have been told they are indeed an Italian knife, but they pale in comparison to a Jindiana swinguard. Burn said these things were so cheaply made, that if you actually stabbed someone and hit bone, the pivot pin would probably break. After owning several of these, I don't doubt it. The Rizzuto just happens to be a knife a lot of people want in their collection, and willing to pay big bucks for one.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonzo,

I noticed that Burn (among others) had a Rizzuto for sale on BA recently. A Burn Rizzuto, now thats an oxymoron.

Jim
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jim D
As far as I know they were made in Italy, For a reason that escapes me they were commonly sold in Mexico which is why you are always hearing the misconception of a Rizutto as a cheap south of the border switch. Also for some reason the majority of people think they were made in Mexico. I also believe they were produced into the early 60's unlike the picks. Maybe they were shipped from Italy to Mexico as a way around customs back then. Like I said someone else will have to take over this part of the story. Sure they were cheaply made with stamped bolsters and thin liners and 98% of the time the scales were plastic. They are a button lock which is a good locking system as long as you remember to hold in the button when closing so as not to wear down the locking pin. The same problem arises with picks or swivals people keep closing them without holding the button and the pin rubs and over the years smoothes away so you get that nagging not catching or premature firing syndrome. This is why most people tell you regardless of the knife hold the button in when closing to save wear and tear on the pin. Now take the current huge load of Hammer Brand/Imperial fish knife switches that seem to turn up everywhere but the Popes auction site. Imperials back then were made in R.I. before being sold in the early eighties? to an Irish company which is why you see Imperial Ireland now. Anyways Imperial was always considered a lower line of knives in terms of Quality compared to other Co's selling pocket knives. Imperials used cheap materials and stamped bolsters and also had a button release yet their are tons of these knives floating around. Why? Your guess is as good as mine because I don't understand why there is an overabundance of crappy knives for sale and the ones made with quality are scarce. As for the last part of your question they have nothing to do with the infamouse Milano with the nail knick being produced in the peoples republic of slavery. I have a small Rizzutto which my older sisters boyfriend picked up in Mexico back in the early 60's So I can pretty much authenticate its age and that baby still fires and locks up nice and sits low when closed cause I always treated it right. I guess I've gasbagged enough on this hope some of your questions were answered. Oh yeah at one time Burn had this love affair with rizzutos and other swing gaurds. Mostlikely what you are seeing him selling is the last of his love affair.
PB