Hubertus Pen Blade Release

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Hubertus Pen Blade Release

Post by hollowdweller »

Hi. I got this 12cm Hubertus pen blade release. I can't say enough good about this knife. Really beautiful brass liners. Maybe even thicker than on your average Hubie. Some of the best, most beautiful stag you could want. A regular blade, the short release blade, and a saw.

The only place I have seen this knife is http://www.zerdick.com. ,but after getting this one, I am thinking about getting one of the smaller ones 10 cm I think they are.

Does anyone have one of the smaller ones? Are they real nice too?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I have the Hubertus 10 cm, i ordered from PVK last year. This one only has 2 blades with beautiful stag scales. Very sharp blades and very solid construction, and a cool blade release. Very nice piece and a fine addition to anyones collection. I think Josh still has some in 10cm, with horn handles.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Feyd Rautha

Post by Feyd Rautha »

I've seen similar knives on PVK and was very interested by the cap lifter release, but was nervous about it opening in my pocket inadvertently. I like the auto knife with a bottle opener idea (best of both worlds!) How do you find it to be as an EDC?
komodo

Post by komodo »

I've got one of the 10cm, with the UGLYIST stag you ever wanted to see. but I wouldn't trade it for anything! The knife itself is perfect, but the deer that "donated" his rack, had some major problems. LOL! He must have spent his life munching on toxic waste, while strolling thru Chynoble(sp?), not to mention his parents must of been brother and sister! LOL!
No Kidding guys, as far as stag goes, this is butt UGLY!

HOWEVER, as an exotic scale material, it's truly beautiful in it's own way. Both sides are perfectly matched, as if it's from the same piece of stag that was split down the middle and the knife placed in between. As odd as it looks, it compliments, and enhances the overall appearance of the knife. I would have gladly paid twice what I did for this "custom" piece!

John
If it's not fun, why do it?
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Feyd Rautha wrote:I've seen similar knives on PVK and was very interested by the cap lifter release, but was nervous about it opening in my pocket inadvertently. I like the auto knife with a bottle opener idea (best of both worlds!) How do you find it to be as an EDC?

Feyd,

Mine is a 12 cm, with 3 blades so as far as size it would be a little bulky as an EDC. However as far as the safety factor you really have to push the blade down to get it to fire. I'd say it is as safe, or safer than a leverlock, recessed button or any of the other ones without a safety.

Mine has the bottle opener on the bottom of the saw, but I think I am going to get one of the smaller ones with the opener also just so I have both models.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Can it work lefthanded?
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Vagrant,

I tried it with my left and I'd say, yes, about as good as the right.
The blade you push is on the outer right side, but using my left hand you can easily push the blade on this one down with your index finger and maybe you have to change your grip less than using your thumb. I mean using it with the left hand your hand would tend to be/stay in the more natural cutting position.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

That's true of many autos, but I had a Ralph/Wilson tactical that was VERY difficult to work lefthanded. [I sold/traded it for a Derringer and some money]. For righties it's a great knife.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Just thought I'd update this. Based on y'alls feedback on the smaller model, I got one with the cap lifter release. Just as good as the big one. The stag is awesome on this one too. Very smooth action. Somewhat ambidextrous as we mentioned before.

Post by 666 »

vagrant...

What kind of derringer did you get? I sometimes carry an American mod. #1 in 45LC/.410. Great little toys.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This one is a .22 smoothbore, shhhh, the AT# would have a cow, [although this is old enough to be an antique].
I have the AD .45/.410, I also have a Herters .357 [are you old enough to remember Herters]? I have a .22 over .45/.410 and a .22mag [Hi Standard] also the Freedom Arms 5 shot but I'm not really into Derringers. [The .357 KICKS a bit, more than the .45s due to it's smaller size].
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I don't think I could hold on to a .410 derringer. The concept is cool though. Bet you could load the shell with 2 .40 caliber bullets.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Vagrant,

I remember Herters. George Herter? Was a character. I have a number of reloading dies and a press from them. I also have a pair of hiking boots my dad bought for me as a high school graduation present. They have been resoled but still are wearable. That was 1978. I wore them every day when I was a forestry student in college. They are great.
Waya

Post by Waya »

410 SG bore and 45 long Colt are inerchangable. 45 Long Colt hits a lot harder than a 410 slug too. Waya
Walk In Peace Always,,if you can
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The .410 Derringers also shoot .45 Colt, a .40 would rattle in the chamber and self destruct if you managed to fire it. Shooting .410s is actually less intense than the .45s. [At least to me]. Anyone who remembers Herters probably misses them as much as I do. Their catalog was like an old fashioned "Medicine Show", almsot everything was called "Model Perfect", or "Professional Guides Model" the top of the line was "Professional Guides, Model Perfect" and was of course guaranteed to be the best in the world. [It was usually pretty good]. The only Herter things I have left are a fishing lure, skinning knife and the Derringer.