sticky bolster release

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rumblefish

sticky bolster release

Post by rumblefish »

I've got a FB 11" classic,everthing is rite about this knife,but the bolster sticks after lock up,a touch of the thumb will level it fine.It's brand new,could this "break in" or do ya just live with it.Is this common?-Thanks
lucifuge777

Post by lucifuge777 »

i also have an 11" with the same problem....i havent tried any fix its
my schnuttz itch!!!
magnum

Post by magnum »

I have some Stiletto's that did that!Mine quit after i broke it in good or you can try a little gun oil to help it or some grease like militech!Hope this helps!
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
halloweenfiend666

Post by halloweenfiend666 »

How exactly do u mean the bolsters "stick" during lock up? I'm just curious.

-Jon
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

halloweenfiend666 wrote:How exactly do u mean the bolsters "stick" during lock up? I'm just curious.

Mr. hf666,

Good question! I would imagine he means that when the knife is closed (not "locked"), the bolster doesn't go back to the original position.

Welcome to the Forum!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
magnum

Post by magnum »

JerrBear-that's exactly what he means.The ones i have that did this was where the scale material was fitted to close to the bolster :roll:
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
halloweenfiend666

Post by halloweenfiend666 »

Ahhh I see... so it's just a matter of breaking them in. I thought that's what rumblefish originally meant.

-Jon
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Like Magnum said, a little Militec or another good oil and some useage (break in) seemed to fix mine.
rumblefish

sticky bolster

Post by rumblefish »

GUY'S!!
This happens after lock up-bolster is tipped downward abit,a touch of the thumb levels it agaist the the underside of the lock.i can see the problem now,a spec of extra metal is on the edge that is in contact with the liner (bottom-back side of the thumb post-a tiny area).So with the blade released and half closed(no lube) I'v been rocking the bolster back and forth,both the inner edge of the bolsters"spec of metal" and the brass are breaking in.In think I'm too DAMN picky! Blade is straight(dagger),fires hard,and has nice wispy(cream tinted)dark horn and the price what right...this is what matters! Typical new guy babble :roll: ~thanks
Remember....never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your face...
GratefulGlenn
Location: Stumbling around on the *Dark Side of the Moon*, tangled up in Blue's

Post by GratefulGlenn »

I also have run across a few lazy bolsters and found that the earlier suggestion of some good gun oil seems to do the trick, and some breaking in period after application improves the chances of it not happening again.

L8R
No one gets off this big old ball of mud alive, live hard, and die fast......................