Blade peeking help

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tpyke

Blade peeking help

Post by tpyke »

Anyone know where I could find a step by step guide on how to fix a Beltrame Italian stilletto with the blade tip peeking out the end of the handle. The blade needs to sit more inside the handle. I was explained that I needed to take it all apart and solder the hole shut and redrill it, but I don't get it...the hole in the bolster will still be in the same spot...Hopefully someone knows of instructions that have pics!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Deforum with Bill DeShivs is the BEST place to ask this :idea: Bill knows almost everything a person could know about Switchblades :wink:
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

but I don't get it...the hole in the bolster will still be in the same spot...Hopefully someone knows of instructions that have pics!
My guess is that they were telling you to fill in the hole and redrill it more center of the blade tang. Thus allowing the blade to close futher inside the handle. I'm not an expert but I don't think you would even have to take the knife apart if you didn't want to.

SD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Tpyke
Take a 1/8-3/16" piece of drill rod, cut it to about 3-1/2" inches long. Round one end so that it looks like 1/2 of a ball. Harden it, and temper to blue. polish the ball end. Place the blade tang flat on an avil, or similar hard steel surface. Place the ball end of the puch in/over the locking hole in the blade. Whack it with a small (8 oz.) hammer. This will close the hole slightly. Or, you can do the same thing, just below the hole to move the metal at the edge of the hole towards the spine.
Or, disassemble the entire knife and peen the hole in the liner that the locking pin goes through the same way. Reassemble the knife.
Or, sell the knife.
Soldering the hole won't help.
Bill
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

tpyke,

This is what I do when I get a less than perfect Italian knife:
I say it has personality, leave it in the open position in the display case, and buy more knives. :D

I know that is less than helpful advice, but sometimes the risk of making it worse than before you fixed it outways the original problem. However, if you are willing to risk it, and try to fix it, go for it. Working on these knives is a great way to learn more about them.

M.P.E.