Interesting Box..!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
boots

Re: Interesting Box..!

Post by boots »

The suspense builds!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Haven't seen those for sale anywhere for a long long time.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Killgar
Thanks for the schatt and morgan I.D ,,it would be a lovely auto swinger indeed if comverted .
Love that "seven " Brad Pitt quote aswell ,made me laugh . :D

RoyS
Didn't know how you came by the box and was just curious as to what was there . I now hope your freind will be ok ,and that you can generate some decent money from this for him and his family .
It certainly has everyone wondering and wishing they could see deeper to the bottom of it .,me included .

Hope your well

Ian
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Guys,

I have not forgotten about this project, just distracted by other (more pressing) jobs but will get to it soon.

Thanks for everyones help 'and' patience..:)

Cheers,
Roy
My website: www.fsknife.com
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi Folks,

Here is the first group (from the bottom of the box). Details below. I don't think there is anything special in this group but would appreciate any comments and perhaps a suggestion on a value (or offers) for the 'whole' group? I will of course need to check in with the family of my friend before selling but any assistance in the meantime would be great.

Group 1

From left:
9” marked ‘Bali-song’ & butterfly
9 1/4” marked with butterfly
7 3/8” marked ‘Bali-song’ & butterfly
9” marked ‘Manila Folder’ & Taylor Cutlery
9” unmarked
11” unmarked
9” marked ‘440 stainless’
6 1/2” unmarked
11” unmarked

Cheers,
Roy
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 10.36.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 10.36.23 AM.png (893.21 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

The first three could be early Pacific Cutlery knives. Pacific later became Benchmade. Pacific Cutlery branded their knives "Bali-Song" and used a butterfly as their logo, as did Benchmade later on.

Old Pacific Cutlery butterfly knives are often sought after by collectors, and can be worth several hundreds of dollars.

Butterfly knives are not a subject I am knowledgeable about. I'm going to show your pic to some butterfly knife enthusiasts on another forum to see what they say.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks for that,

I thought that butterfly looked familiar.

Cheers,
Roy
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

You're welcome Roy, my pleasure. I enjoy researching knives. :)

I've been doing some research of my own, and here's what I've got so far-

The third one from the left is a Pacific Cutlery model 68. The 68 is almost identical to the model 10, but the telltale difference is the pivot pins. On the model 68 the pin heads are countersunk and flush, on the model 10 the pin heads stick out prominently.

Looking at "sold" listings on Arizona Customs for 2023, here is a sample of what people were willing to pay this year for a model 68-

$565
$520
$495
$495

If the knife has it's original sheath, box, papers, that would put it on the higher end of the price range.

As for the Taylor brand "Manila Folder", also using Arizona Customs as a pricing source, here are some sold prices-

2023- $295
2022- $275
2022- $260
2021- $245

I'll keep researching the rest. But I can't guarantee I'll find anything. The five on the right may be impossible to track down due to the lack of branding. :)
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks for that.

The third from let, I think has the box/papers etc.

Cheers,
Roy
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Does the first one on the left have "U.S.A" under the "Bali-song" stamp? If it does, it looks very similar to a Pacific Cutlery with a blade ground by Jody Samson, a well-known knife maker, and the guy who made Conan's sword for the movie "Conan the Barbarian". PC Bali-song's ground by Jody Samson go for around $1500. and higher (that's fifteen hundred and higher).

Here is a similar looking PC Bali-song ground by Mr. Samson.

As far as the fifth one from the left (all black), it appears to be a generic copy of a Herbertz butterfly knife. They can also be found under the name "Jaguar". They are very cheap, around $20 or less brand new.

Here's an example

The 7th one from the left is another cheap one. Also around $20 new.

An example. Different handle color.

Numbers 6, 8, and 9 from the left look like generic Filipino butterfly knives. I won't be able to identify them.

As for #2 from the left, I can't find anything like it that is anywhere close to any Pacific Cutlery knives, or Benchmade. I'm inclined to believe it's a fake, but I can't say that difinitively.

Killgar

Post by Killgar »

gravknife wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:47 pm Killgar
Thanks for the schatt and morgan I.D ,,it would be a lovely auto swinger indeed if comverted .
Love that "seven " Brad Pitt quote aswell ,made me laugh . :D

My pleasure :D .

TMD

Post by TMD »

Nice knives!
The second from left looks like a filipino hand made aswell, but I havent seen one with a butterfly stamp. Could you get a close up of that stamp?

The filipino balisong second from right, I would guess its from the 70s? It has the "Manila style latch" with the safety on the safe handle.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks for that Killgar,

I will post updated image of No1 and No2 later today.

Cheers,
Roy
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Here is some updates image of knife No1

This does appear to have had some use, as there are a few dings and scratches overall.

Cheers,
Roy
Last edited by RoyS on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Updated photos of knife No3

Appears in perfect condition.

Cheers,
Roy
Last edited by RoyS on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.