Latama acquired

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mackafoose

Latama acquired

Post by Mackafoose »

Good morning
I’ve come to own a vintage Latama 11” I’m not well educated on the vintage Italian switchblades, but learning as I go. I started down this rabbit hole about a year ago when I found my father’s S.M.CO. I contacted Bill D., and he was gracious enough to work on the knife and bring it back to life. Wonderful work!
I then begun to casually search for another…and the Latama showed up.
Any information that anyone would like to share regarding the Latama would be greatly appreciated.
I really enjoy learning more about these pieces and could see this becoming another problem for me to add to the gun and custom knife problems I’ve developed.

Mackafoose

Re: Latama acquired

Post by Mackafoose »

The order of the pictures got mixed up. I didn’t want the smaller S.M.CO to show up till later. Apologies
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mackafoose

The latama is stunning . 8)

1950s picklock ,nice stamp and good condition ,nice pure black horn ,good blade with no peak when closed ,lovely switchblade .
I love the pure black horn handles and bayonet bladed switches ,they are the sleekest meanest looking imho ,add the latama stamp and its all there . .

Great score .

Tou have 2 nice and rare named picklocks ,wish I could have started with those two ,welcome to the addiction . :)

Ian
Mackafoose

Post by Mackafoose »

Thank you
So the Latama is not considered a flat guard correct? The guards do seem a touch rounded on the sides. Which I believe should be flat. Also is it normal for the “spring?” To be slightly exposed when open? The blade appears to be pretty original regarding sharpening, but again not sure.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mackafoose

It has slim guards but not quite flat .....
Here is a Latama flatguard to show you the difference .
As for the spring it is quite normal to see these exposed ,some may have been bent purposefully to enhance power .
Blade looks good to me but I'm on my phone so lets see what others say .
Attachments
Latama Wasp Flatgurd # 1.jpg
Latama Wasp Flatgurd # 1.jpg (179.76 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Both beautiful knives!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Great Knives !!!
Mackafoose

Post by Mackafoose »

Thanks gentlemen
Is the case something that was custom made by someone along the way, or original and came with the knife?
john

Post by john »

Beautiful stilettos very nice 👍‼️
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

that Latama stamp is one of early ones, very nice find, and to get one that is all black horn WOW! I am a big fan of picklocks, Bill has done work for me and he all ways bats it out of the park, hope that you find more, good luck.
Mackafoose

Post by Mackafoose »

Thanks for all the info. Early stamp…what year(s) are you guys thinking. Early 50’s? I’m assuming the case was added later in it’s life and not with the knife when new.
Also noticed a very faint initials on the one side of the horn. Previous owner? From the maker? Idk

Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Nice old stiletto.

I don't believe a maker would ever mark the handle like that.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I don't see the maker marking the handle either but it doesn't look like they were scratched on by hand. Hard telling how many hands these old knives have been through over the years, my guess is it's someone's initials and not a mark by the maker. Never know though.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mackafoose

I have been looking through old posts and some books but i cant find a latama with a case ,or official latama cases mentioned ,but i am a layman on the subject ,someone who has Latamas might chime in .

I do think that case is old though ,possibly as old as the knife and its nicely made ,it should always stay with that knife imho ,part of its life .
Mackafoose

Post by Mackafoose »

gravknife wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:16 pm Mackafoose

I have been looking through old posts and some books but i cant find a latama with a case ,or official latama cases mentioned ,but i am a layman on the subject ,someone who has Latamas might chime in .

I do think that case is old though ,possibly as old as the knife and its nicely made ,it should always stay with that knife imho ,part of its life .
Thank you for your time and energy. I as well have not been able to come up with anything. I think that is however one of the most enjoyable parts of collecting…the research and the gained knowledge that comes with. I have enjoyed it with the firearms, antiques, and knives I’ve acquired over the years.