Any help on what this is?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
runninglate

Any help on what this is?

Post by runninglate »

Hello someone gave me this knife. They know I collect so they gave it to me. I’ve never seen one before. Is it something cheap? (I’m guessing it is) It’s a cool little auto. Any help would be great so I can Learn a little more on it if possible
Thanks guys
portlandmike

Re: Any help on what this is?

Post by portlandmike »

It’s not “cheap” in today’s market.. I’ve seen the gum ball machine ones go for $50 bucks each and I think you have a nicer one there.. hopefully somebody who knows a lot more than I will come along soon and tell us more about it.
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

portlandmike wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:41 pm It’s not “cheap” in today’s market.. I’ve seen the gum ball machine ones go for $50 bucks each and I think you have a nicer one there.. hopefully somebody who knows a lot more than I will come along soon and tell us more about it.
Thanks Mike
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Made in Italy and Inox is stainless, looks like a really nice one. Some on eBay have sold higher than $50. That is a nice gift you have there and don't be surprised if you get some offers on it.
2024 candidate for president
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

sammy the blade wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:50 pm Made in Italy and Inox is stainless, looks like a really nice one. Some on eBay have sold higher than $50. That is a nice gift you have there and don't be surprised if you get some offers on it.
Thanks Sammy
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

Also has original plastic box and a tassel that hang on that ring at right end
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Looms like the newest and mostly cheaply made model. A picture of the backspring would tell me more. Worth about $35.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

At one time, not so long ago, these were commonly sold for $14.99. For some very strange reason unknown to me, along with the soaring prices of the Rizzuto Estileto Milano, I've seen these 2.75" keychain stilettos fetch up to $200 on "The Bay". Both the Rizzy and keychain phenomenon prices seem to be calming down lately as when these prices went crazy, everyone that owned one wanted $200 and flooded the market. All the while, could have been found for $25 to $30 on 3knives.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:02 pm At one time, not so long ago, these were commonly sold for $14.99. For some very strange reason unknown to me, along with the soaring prices of the Rizzuto Estileto Milano, I've seen these 2.75" keychain stilettos fetch up to $200 on "The Bay". Both the Rizzy and keychain phenomenon prices seem to be calming down lately as when these prices went crazy, everyone that owned one wanted $200 and flooded the market. All the while, could have been found for $25 to $30 on 3knives.
With minis it’s because only a couple people on earth really know which are the good old ones and what’s newly made cheap stuff. IE a collector will pay a ton for a rare model they need and then the copycat unknowing collectors throw a lot of money at the cheap ones.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I suppose these (even the better quality ones) are not worth fixing ?
I think I would go crazy if I had to manufacture a run of a hundred or so of these little guys. :shock:
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:02 pm Looms like the newest and mostly cheaply made model. A picture of the backspring would tell me more. Worth about $35.
Thank you
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

runninglate

I believe this is a newer example aswell.

The older ones have 6 scale and bolster pins to your five ,and the really older ones have nickle silver hardware aswell as this.
Heres one I have with similar scales not ancient but it has 6 pins ,one for the backspring.

Heres an older one in stag with nickle mounts aswell.

Great little knives and conversation pieces.
They are selling well as stated here and will get rarer.
Attachments
DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg (425.53 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg (369.94 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
s-l400 (3).jpg
s-l400 (3).jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
s-l400 (5).jpg
s-l400 (5).jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Ian, that little guy in stag is just great !
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:02 pm Looms like the newest and mostly cheaply made model. A picture of the backspring would tell me more. Worth about $35.
Thank you
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

gravknife wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 pm runninglate

I believe this is a newer example aswell.

The older ones have 6 scale and bolster pins to your five ,and the really older ones have nickle silver hardware aswell as this.
Heres one I have with similar scales not ancient but it has 6 pins ,one for the backspring.

Heres an older one in stag with nickle mounts aswell.

Great little knives and conversation pieces.
They are selling well as stated here and will get rarer.
Thanks for the info appreciate it. Where did you purchase yours? Thanks