Questions about knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

Questions about knives

Post by Scotchman »

Hello everyone. First off my apologies if I'm on the wrong post or whatever. I was hoping someone could clear some confusion for me. I have seen Italian knives termed as "flick", " classic", and "switch", as well as stiletto.. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the difference is? Thank you.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Re: Questions about knives

Post by hogwild »

This link is decent and rather lengthy with much info that saves my typing fingers. Hope this helps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

The terms you have asked about may be more regional or colloquial. Others here may have a different take on your question. There are certainly several members here who are vastly more informed than I. Greg
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Hi Scotchman,

Welcome to the forum. My understanding of the terms you mention are as follows; "flick" is slang for an automatic knife (the politically acceptable term for what us street kids call a switchblade), and I've heard it's generally a U.K. usage. "Classic" to me implies an Italian pattern knife, either a bolster release or picklock, with a bayonet,dagger, or swage type blade, I think "Classic" is also a marketing ploy any idiot can use if they think they can get away with it ( "classic" Chinese Italian-looking knife). "Switch" is also slang. "Stiletto" is a specific type of knife which is intended for stabbing, originally through chain mail. Hope this helps, other, more knowledgeable people here will no doubt be able to clarify and correct.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

One other thing, as mentioned above, the term "stiletto" applies to any pointy knife meant to be a stabbing weapon (as opposed to a tool or utensil).

However, you will come across endless casual knife enthusiasts who think that a "stiletto" means the kind of auto where the blade pops out the front. Of course, these are actually called out-the-fronts (OTFs) but the misconception is very widespread and leads to endless arguments at G&Ks. A few years ago someone posted a pretty convincing theory on where the misconception comes from. Basically, there was a common ad in magazines in the 80s where you could buy a standard Italian auto or a NATO OTF. The ad made it appear as though the Italian was called a "switchblade" and the OTF was called a "stiletto" and people took that to be the official names of the two kinds of autos.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Hello again and I want to say thanks to everyone for answering my questions. Now I have a new one. I just recently received a Frank B. 11" stiletto and the release bolster is not flush with the scale (dark horn), so the scale sticks out and is very sharp (lack of a better word). Will I have to contend with it, or can it be fixed? Thanks.
john

Post by john »

Hi Scotchman,
Welcome to the forum.
Please post a photo. A visual would be very helpful.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Scotchman

Re:

Post by Scotchman »

I will try, might take me a bit. Never posted pics to anything other than Ebay.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

a Frank B. 11" stiletto and the release bolster is not flush with the scale (dark horn)
That's normal. On virtually all Italian stilettos and swingers, the scale is about 1.5x as tall/thick as the bolsters. There are some that have scales that are flush with the bolsters but they are the very rare exceptions.
Scotchman

Re:

Post by Scotchman »

Ah, OK. I had a stiletto years ago and if my memory is correct, it had less flaws and I believe the bolster was pretty much flush with the scale. Thank you.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

I do have pics, but, I don't know how to post them.
Scotchman

Re:

Post by Scotchman »

IMG_20161102_003846.jpg
IMG_20161102_003846.jpg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, that is pretty normal. You can careful sand and polish down the corners if they are too sharp.
omega

Post by omega »

Regarding the terms Classic and Switch:

Both can refer to two knife lines made by Frank Beltrame.

Classic is a FB knife that is made with old-school materials (Stag, Bone, Horn, etc.). The scales are pinned to the brass liners. The bolsters are often stamped, rather than made of a solid material. These are hand-assembled in Maniago. As with any hand-assembled knife, there are variances in the mechanical tolerances. These pieces are overall better quality than the Switch line. Retail pricing is generally $60 and up (USD), depending on sizes and materials used. Sizes include 9, 11 and 13", although the 13" models are assembled by another cutler in Maniago under the Frank B tang stamp.

Switch is an FB knife line which looks similar to the Classic, however, the scales are screwed-on with brass screws. They are also hollow. These knives don't use a brass liner, per se. Instead, the whole frame of the knife is cast from some sort of mystery metal. Bolsters are always hollow. Variances in mechanical tolerances are a bit less due to simplified construction techniques. These knives are inferior quality when compared to knives from the Classic line. These pieces sell at retail for $45 and up. I saw one some crook on GunBroker.com was selling for $150 - what a crock!

So far, Switch models are produced only in the 23cm (9") size. There is some disagreement as to exactly where Switch models are produced. If you ask Frank, he will tell you they are made in Maniago. The prevalent suspicion is that they are made in China, Taiwan or some other nice Italian town located in Asia.

There! That should have you totally confused and saying "WTF?"
Last edited by omega on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega

Post by omega »

Scotchman wrote: I just recently received a Frank B. 11" stiletto and the release bolster is not flush with the scale (dark horn), so the scale sticks out and is very sharp (lack of a better word). Will I have to contend with it, or can it be fixed? Thanks.
Normal for the "Classic" knives made by Frank. Yes, it can be fixed by replacing the scale. Trying to get it level with the bolsters by sanding is usually going to result on you having to replace the scales anyway. Complicating matters is the fact that the brass pins would have to be replaced which ever route you attempt. Suggestion: Live with it. Buy a FB picklock, limited edition or even a custom next time. :D
Scotchman

Re:

Post by Scotchman »

@ Omega I totally understand now, no more wtf. I think I have a way of fixing my knife without removal of anything. I am hoping to get a picklock some day, and, would defiantly LOVE to own a limited edition. The thing for me, is I'm on a fixed income, so, it takes me longer to acquire things. Thanks so much.