Who are the high end Italian Stiletto makers?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
poorbs

Who are the high end Italian Stiletto makers?

Post by poorbs »

I've started to notice differences in variuos manufactureres of Stilettos - all from Italy - but with different names like AKC, AB, SKM, etc. I'm not real interested in the Asian knockoffs, unless of course one of them is putting out quality stuff.

Who are the high end makers, and how do the various manufacturers compare with respect to quality?

Thanks for reply :?:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

AB,[Armando Beltrame] and SKM, are the same, FB [Frank Beltrame] is a seperate company. AKC is also seperate. Overall quality is similar and most [or all] of the companies trade with each other at times so it's almost impossible to say who really made a particulr knife [but I believe all of the 15" and 17" are made by AKC]. The FB "Picklocks" are an "upscale" item. I think the "Low cost" Stilettos sold by SKM are made by Fox Coltellerie and/or other small companies that do not [normally] sell directly to the U.S. This is mostly guesswork but probably fairly close to the truth. I believe switchblades are illegal in Italy and must be exported or sold to another company that is licensed to export them. So there are probably companies we have never heard of that sell to the larger companies. Anything I'm wrong on others will correct [quickly].
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Here we go... Consider the Italians the same because often they are, and consider the Italians different from the clones from Taiwan.

The reply was not intended to be sarcastic, but to be true. Here is what I understand to be true:

1. AB = SKM SKM (our fine hosts) among other things is the Marketing arm of AB

2. AKC among other things is the Marketing arm of Angelo Campolin.

3. Frank B. rounds out the "Maniago Big 3"

But there is a catch. A considerable amount of the Maniago switchblade making system is a cottage industry. Additionally, you may purchase a stiletto from one of the manufacturers listed above and in fact it was made by one of the others. Or, it was made by none of the above, but by part of the cottage industry. Oh, I forgot to mention Jindiana which produces swing guards and I'm not sure what else. Confused yet? I am and so are many of us.

Mick, do you have anything to add?

Jim
Last edited by jim d, on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Wow Jim talk about a "photo finish" on that typing. It dosn't get closer than that. [I forgot "Jndiana" and you missed Fox, I'll bet there are several others].
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I understand that both AB and FB produce their own 9 and 11's in house. All the other sizes are purchased in the cottage market. There is definitely distinction b/w them. For instance, AB plates their bolsters, where FB does not.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mr_edge wrote:I understand that both AB and FB produce their own 9 and 11's in house. All the other sizes are purchased in the cottage market. There is definitely distinction b/w them. For instance, AB plates their bolsters, where FB does not.
[excluding the switch model?]
Milu

Post by Milu »

Vagrant wrote: I believe switchblades are illegal in Italy and must be exported or sold to another company that is licensed to export them. So there are probably companies we have never heard of that sell to the larger companies. Anything I'm wrong on others will correct [quickly].
As is often the case legal is open to interpretation.
Carry is allowed with a "porto d'arme" (concealed weapons carry permit)
Ownership is allowed with a "nulla d'oste" (statement of no objection) from the local questura (police authority). This however, is rarely applied for and some experts do not believe it is legally required. Thus in practice a lot depends on the cop on the spot if they are in your possession on your property and there is an issue.
I am not sure of the legalities of private sales. I know one shop that will not sell without a "porto d'arme" and another in the same neighbourhood that is happy to although they are not displayed.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Vagrant wrote: [excluding the switch model?]
Of course. And may I point out that I am only regurgitating what I have heard from others, so it may be wrong. (but Frank's 11s sure are nice)
poorbs

Legal Smegal - mostly it's a Gottcha!

Post by poorbs »

Don't know about Italy, but I remember when I lived in New England they had a whole passel of laws about handguns with mandatory jail time and all that. What it was really about was having something more to charge you with if you used one to commit a crime. Collectors, and those willing to submit to being booked, had no problem as long as they were descrete, and I know a bunch of old boys who carried with the intent of only using if absoutley necessary. They're thinking was that, if they had to fess up after, it was a sight better than not having one in the first place. I'm betting that blades were governed by the same thinking and that this approach is fairly widespread.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Legal Smegal - mostly it's a Gottcha!

Post by Vagrant »

poorbs wrote:Don't know about Italy, but I remember when I lived in New England they had a whole passel of laws about handguns with mandatory jail time and all that. What it was really about was having something more to charge you with if you used one to commit a crime. Collectors, and those willing to submit to being booked, had no problem as long as they were descrete, and I know a bunch of old boys who carried with the intent of only using if absoutley necessary. They're thinking was that, if they had to fess up after, it was a sight better than not having one in the first place. I'm betting that blades were governed by the same thinking and that this approach is fairly widespread.
New England is six states. The laws vary from Massachusetts - permit to carry hundgun issued IF local police chief agrees. To Vermont - no permit exists or is needed carry a handgun if you wish too. My N.H. permit is good in N.H. and Vermont ONLY.
Switchblades are legal in R.I. and for Licensed Hunters [while hunting] in N.H. Vermont - it depends on how the law is read.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

poorb
The NE law your talking about is only Mass called the Bartley-Fox Act been in existance for about 20-25 yrs. Mandatory 1 year if caught unlicensed.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:poorb
The NE law your talking about is only Mass called the Bartley-Fox Act been in existance for about 20-25 yrs. Mandatory 1 year if caught unlicensed.
PB
At one point the law even covered BB guns and there were several people doing the year in prison for having one. Technically even guns that shot the darts with rubber suction cups on them were illegal but I don't think it was ever enforced. [A police chief told me that but he HATED guns].
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

If you look up my posts you'll find out for sure, but last I checked Autos were legal in R.I. as long as the blade wasn't any longer then 3". Same with VT, but I haven't heard of one person being charged with ANY weapon offenses in VT in the past 50 years unless they had a previous felony record and even then I didn't see any for switchblades.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Vagrant wrote:
Pushbutton wrote:poorb
PB
At one point the law even covered BB guns and there were several people doing the year in prison for having one. Technically even guns that shot the darts with rubber suction cups on them were illegal but I don't think it was ever enforced. [A police chief told me that but he HATED guns].
Most LEO's I know in the states are pro-gun, you would be VERY hard-pressed to find one that actually thinks most gun control works (even in the areas with alot of gun control, you think most NYC cops think a stupid law is gonna stop anyone from packing?) All LEOs I know are also against Bill C-68 (Registry of ALL guns) but they have to enforce it none the less. (when the liberals took the reigns of power here a few months ago the Ontario government decided to enforce it)
poorbs

Post by poorbs »

You guys who live up there now are more in tune with current local restrictions and know far more about them than me. I used to travel the area, including New York, shooting in IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Ass'n) events and had to be at least aware of gun restrictions. MA and NY seemd to be the worst.

Did they ever learn (or admit) that gun control only controls law abiding people who are unlikely to commit crimes :?: