The nastiness of switchblades?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jason Bourne

The nastiness of switchblades?

Post by Jason Bourne »

In the Switchblade vs Balisong poll it was established that these knives are not nastier than any other knife, that it is all about image.

However switchblades are probably considered a bit insidious though since they can be pulled from a pocket with great surprise.

That's the difference to other knives and why they've been banned for so long, no?

Mike030979

Re: The nastiness of switchblades?

Post by Mike030979 »

Switchblades were banned due to one thing: Fear. Nothing else. Even though most states are legalizing them now, the reputation of switchblades will not go away because of them being banned in the 1950s.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

As a knife collector I will say this- My father gave me a 2 blade plastic scaled Imperial when I was 5 and by the ripe age of 7 I probably had 7/8 knives. All small but knives just the same.
At 50 years old I can say I have collected over 40 years because my dad bought me knives by the dozens as a very small child on up.
Our world was much different in 1967. It seems a father gives his son a knife at the age of 7 in today's world has set the stage for a kid that tortures cats and other small animals and thus leads to other warped conceptions.
I was raised to earn my keep by working the farm and come Christmas I got things like tools and knives but yes I got train sets and Tonka's (We'll have to explain that one)

My point is when we use the term "nasty" which I am certain is the same as in the UK,I think of the damage a knife can do to one's flesh.
A sharp Italian stiletto can cut flesh just as a Balisong,lever action,out the front,fixed blade Bowie/fighter style knife etc etc.
What can make them nasty is if a bad guy puts on a little flash show with his bali/butterfly knife or a mugger does the same with his stiletto.
This may evoke danger or fear,hence nasty. Or in mind get him busted up real bad.

Chances are if a "bad guy" were to pull an Italian stiletto on any "knowing" member here it would be the last physical thing he did for a very long time.
Yes you can get poked but he(bad guy) will most likely limp not run away from the scene...if not much worse.

A 1954 Westinghouse 9" carving knife is 100 times more nasty than a modern stiletto with poor quality steel and people would be more likely to comply with said bad guy.(a 9" serrated bread knife is nastier yet) :idea:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

A 1954 Westinghouse 9" carving knife is 100 times more nasty than a modern stiletto with poor quality steel and people would be more likely to comply with said bad guy.(a 9" serrated bread knife is nastier yet) :idea:
I think a Remington 870 12'' barrel is much nastier than any knife, yet a basic shotgun is considered ok by even Joe Biden.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

For a while I used a 10" manual stiletto (stainless steel) to cut up my apple at lunch. The stainless blade was very handy for this work. At lunch one day, a younger associate said, breathlessly, "Is that a switchblade??". The stiletto style is very memorable to even those who have no first hand experience with the automatic versions. They by definition are a nasty design. Love. 'em!
Rave

Post by Rave »

As I recall the federal gummint was never able to ban or make switchblades illegal.
The justice dept. would not even consider it,they knew that if tested it would be proven unconstitutional.
The only way they could take credit for doing "something" about the evil knife that was killing our children was to ban interstate shipmint of those terrible things!
At least that's how I remember it went. :roll:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The Commerce Clause has been a favorite device in Washington for the fedrul gummint to garner more power. This was not the intention but those crafty pols and bureaucrats love to find ways to expand their reach. :evil:
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you are interested in the switchblade laws in the US, check out the section titled "Controversy" on the Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade#Controversy

It's something you would likely think is supposed to be a parody of a shamelessly opportunistic politician.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

How does the automatic opening of a knife in any way really affect it's possible lethality, especially when compared to a fixed blade.
I do think it is insidious to those person who has an irritable mind.
I have to disagree with this post, I think a switchblade is no more likely to cause violent idealizations in a mentally unwell person than any other knife.

I feel like they still get used a bit in crime purely because we demonize them in such a way that people are more afraid of automatics knives than normal knives. Some criminals may use this to their advantage and there fore further perpetuate the cycle of fear. A case of the tail wagging the dog if you ask me.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I can't state this as fact but I have heard more than once that a kitchen knife is used in criminal acts more than any other style of knife.
Next are the cheap "Dollar Store" knives (because they can found just about anywhere and dirt cheap)
I read a conversation on another knife forum that very rarely are high-end knives of any kind used in criminal acts.

Again I cannot say this is factual but it makes sense.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Viking45 wrote:I can't state this as fact but I have heard more than once that a kitchen knife is used in criminal acts more than any other style
I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case. Switchblades are rare and kitchen knives are plentiful. If someone is looking to stab someone (or just scare them), a sharp blade is a blade.
johnnyswitchblade

Post by johnnyswitchblade »

Jason Bourne wrote:In the Switchblade vs Balisong poll it was established that these knives are not nastier than any other knife, that it is all about image.

However switchblades are probably considered a bit insidious though since they can be pulled from a pocket with great surprise.

That's the difference to other knives and why they've been banned for so long, no?

Switchblades are nasty in the best sense of the word. They were banned Federally and State thanks to Hollywood's negative depiction of them in film starting in the 50's and into this century. There never was a violent epidemic linked to them. The vast majority of stabbings are done w/ kitchen knives, fixed blade knives, and other weapons of opportunity. Auto's are no more or less dangerous than any other folding pocket knife. Even Buck and Case knives could be manipulated w/ one hand even before the tactical folder revolution in the mid 90's. I can open a thumb stud operated manual faster than some of my switchblades. I am glad many States are legalizing auto's for carry/sale. My State accomplished this over a year ago and since I have been buying way more auto's:)
Rave

Post by Rave »

I had access to a police evidence knife box. The knives were placed in the box after being used as evidence.
In all the years,about five,when I checked that box there were only about ten switchblades and of those most didn't function.
Most were flea market junkers but I found three that were deceant.
One small Hubertus lever knife with a broken spring and one old Italian that had a lot of blade play.
The final one was a jewel,an old german Mauser with horn handles and three monkeys etched on the bayonet blade.
I kept it for a while then took it to a gun show and swapped it for a new Colt .380 auto pistol,kind of wish I still had it as it was really cool and the pistol is long gone.
The point of my post is that very few switchblades were used in crimes,most were steak and butcher knives,a few nice commercial chef knives. :(
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

a few nice commercial chef knives.
I'm not surpised; have you seen those celebrity chefs they have on TV? Those guys are just raging balls of fury waiting to snap at any second.

But seriously, you would probably have to factor in a number of switchblades that mysteriously disappeared from the evidence box (most likely the cool ones). But even with that, I wouldn't expect to see many autos at all. There would surely be a lot more kitchen knives and regular folders. Plus, the kind of people who buy the high quality knives aren't usually the kind of people whose possessions end up in the evidence room.

I saw an episode of cops where they busted a guy with an Italian auto (they saw the top bolster sticking out of his pocket) and it was enough to search him :roll: . What was interesting is that the cops were clearly not familiar with that kind of knife, even though it was the most standard Italian auto. After they had questioned the guy and stol...confiscated the contraband, the two cops went into curiosity mode and it took them a few seconds to figure out the swivel-bolster.
johnnyswitchblade

Post by johnnyswitchblade »

I got arrested in '02, the only time I've been to jail before or since, for having a 9" AKC Stiletto in my back pocket. The cop flipped open after he cuffed me, then couldn't close it and asked me how to do it. Class A misdemeanor at the time. Right out front of my house. I bet it disappeared from the evidence locker after the case was deferred and closed. lol