The nastiness of switchblades?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Re: The nastiness of switchblades?

Post by JimBrown257 »

You weren't sitting on a bench when you got arrested, were you?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There was no AKC in 2002.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Good post there Jim,makes sense for sure. :D
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

As i have posted before, i was the real deal, north Philly, 50s greaser. Owning a genuine Italian Stiletto was a wet dream. at 6 to 10 bucks they were out of reach for most. I had more than a few. I would rub the horn scale with olive oil, and keep the blades patina free with Vaseline. it was a fashion accessory. you couldn't wear a zoot suit or motorcycle jacket without a stiletto. Fight with it? hell no. you could buy a pairing knife in the 5 & dime for less than a quarter. Hell, 2 dollar Imperials or Sure-snaps were not cost effective. When you got down to it, a broken antenna fit the bill, if you were near a car you were adequately armed, The high school that i attended (occasionally) was staffed with two armed cops. It was a scarey place.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I know that my local PD has confiscated a few cheapo OTFs from some low level criminals. They most likely get them at gun shops or flea markets, and probably overpay by quite a bit more than their worth.

I've nearly had an OTF confiscated from me, I doubt it would have ended up in any evidence locker. The officers who took it from me were quite happy with it and cited a vastly incorrect understanding of the law when they told me it was "illegal to have without a military ID". My state allows single edged switchblades to be carried if not concealed, and a military ID grants you nothing more than a normal civilian if you are not on base and/or currently on duty.

(read the full story in this thread)
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Timewalker

Post by Timewalker »

I have a switch blade cane
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Timewalker wrote:I have a switch blade cane
You gotta show us that!!
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Father carried his 10 3/4" Latama (with an untempered 1095 steel blade and horn scales) on board ship in a belt pouch, along with marlinspike with an adjustable end wrench soldered onto it. These made for a handy pair on the deck of a US Navy Destroyer.

He always viewed the stainless-steel "Italian Stiletto" with consummate disdain.

It was from this knife I took my "nom de plume".

Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

My Dad didn't carry but he owned an 8" EIG Cutlery picklock. My 3 brothers and I used to sneak in his bedroom and play with it when he went out. When he passed away my sister went in his closet and found a footlocker with his WW2 medals and a couple knives. That old picklock was one of them. Since I am the only knife collector in the family everybody agreed to give the knives to me. I don't know what I was thinking but I actually tried to sell it. When push came to shove I cancelled the sale and gave the buyer a nice knife for free. Now it's tucked away for my Grandson to find when I take my dirt bath.
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
thomascarlsson6

Post by thomascarlsson6 »

I agree with Mike030979 that even if switchblades are banned their reputation will not decrease in any case. I am a huge fan of switchblades and just love them.