Finding Vintage Picklock Italian Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
nostalgia-on-wheels

Finding Vintage Picklock Italian Switchblades

Post by nostalgia-on-wheels »

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please excuse me for being naive if this seems like an obvious question but I'm curious where the best place to look to find a vintage 1950's picklock stiletto knife would be. I purchased a transitional knife from a vendor online thats pretty nice but basically I've only seen 2 - 3 places online where you can buy the knifes. I'm guessing shows are the best places to go but or swapmeets but I'm in California and have been to many antique swapmeets and can't recall even seeing a switchblade for sale.

Would it probable to think that dealers may have them available for sale at California show but only if someone asked? If only available outside of California, what would be the best knife show to attend to find one.

I'm probably looking to spend no more than $1,500 and like the looks of the Edwin Jays and Coricamas but it would just have to be cool 11" Italian for my display case.

Thanks.

By the way, I'm more familiar with old custom motorcycles (www.nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com) but picked up the Switchblades of Italy book online and was intrigued and then was trying to figure out where to go to find one of the similar knifes.
dave

Re: Finding Vintage Picklock Italian Switchblades

Post by dave »

www.sharperdeals.net, would be my best recommendation.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

If you don't mind the premium retail price:
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... tcat/32682
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
nostalgia-on-wheels

Post by nostalgia-on-wheels »

Thanks guys. The sharper deals looks like the best bet. Unfortunately I did buy a transitional from Assisted and though its nice it appears I paid about twice the price as on the sharper deals auction. That Latama site is pretty insane too. I'll just take my time looking on sharper deals. I appreciate the help!
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

From what I have read, switchblades are rarely, if ever, are offered for sale in states that ban them. In states that allow them, even if only as collector's items, they can often be bought at gun shows, flea markets, and they even show up in antique stores from time to time, although I have found the Internet to be the best source for vintage Italian knives.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Oregon has a big show yearly where I'm sure you could find some.
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/okcashow.html
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

I have a question about these vintage knives:

Do they have a different feel than modern stilettos, from Frank B for example?

Do they sound different?

Or is the difference only in appearance?

:D
easy_rider

Post by easy_rider »

picked up a few on craigslist too!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Jason Bourne wrote:I have a question about these vintage knives:
Do they have a different feel than modern stilettos, from Frank B for example?
Do they sound different?
Or is the difference only in appearance?
:D
They are much different. It is hard to tell the difference from just pictures (or even someone telling you about it) but the difference is incredible.

I was like many (all?) collectors when I started and I thought it was silly that people spent $400 on a switch when the $40 looked just the same. But once you've had a chance to see them up close, you will appreciate where that other $360 went.

As for the sound, it's about the same.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

[quote="nostalgia-on-wheels"]Thanks guys. "The sharper deals looks like the best bet.)" So,,,,,,what`s the plan for the button embelishment on that beauty ? 8)
jsolo

Post by jsolo »

I picked up a Latama today its from 47 to 1950.I went to the blade show in Atlanta tons of vintage knives for sale