Any word on those Beltrame Trap Doors?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Any word on those Beltrame Trap Doors?

Post by JimBrown257 »

A few months ago, there was a thread about new knives (I can't find it now). In the thread, Frank B posted a comment about a new Trap Door OTF he was working on.

Does anyone know if there has been any updates with that?

Or does anyone even remember that comment?
BTB0923

Re: Any word on those Beltrame Trap Doors?

Post by BTB0923 »

Last "credible" info I heard about it was here...

http://209.68.29.138/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... fc#p240070
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's the comment I was looking for.

I'm a little less optomistic now that I see the quote wasn't actually a first hand quote from Frank himself.

I was a little suprised when I heard about that as Trap Doors aren't really that popular a knife. The main reason people seem to want them is that they are rare. Don't get me wrong, they are cool knives, but I don't know how popular they would be if they were easy to find.

Sttill, I'd love to have one made by Frank Beltrame.

Let's hope...
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

I never understood the popularity of the trap door design beyond it's rarity. It's more a gravity knife than an auto. Maybe he did some market research and decided against it. If he made a limited run they would be expensive and if he made a large run the prices and resale would go down.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

horizonod wrote:I never understood the popularity of the trap door design beyond it's rarity.
I can't agree more.
Maybe he did some market research and decided against it.
I would be suprised if that didn't happen.
It's more a gravity knife than an auto.
How so? They are spring loaded, aren't they? I know they shut 90% of the way like a gravity knife (before being pushed down the rest of the way) but they open automatically; isn't that what is important?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I do not own any trap door but to me the idea is having a rare knife and a repro just doesn't cut it with me.
Yes I would love to get my hands on a vintage German but any repro would have to be priced in the 40 dollar range to even raise an eye brow.

I am usually for something different but making a reproduction knife that was already and odd,kind of bastard design to begin with is not something that trips my trigger.