FORUM KNIVES

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: FORUM KNIVES

Post by natcherly »

Viking45 wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:
Viking45 wrote:From what I have gathered Whipper is gung-ho to start another Forum Knife program.
He is counting the minutes down to get the new ball rolling.

No need to thank me Whipper,heck what are friends for :?: :lol: :lol:
I'd rather be kicked in the nuts, thank you. :shock:
Aww and all the joy and fulfillment it would bring in your life. Shamey shame
I sense Mr. Whip is chary about starting such an effort, but YOU, Mr. Viking, have made it clear that it would be the highlight of your life for the 2013 Forum Knife project to proceed under your tutelage. As Ramses III was wont to say, "So let it be written. So let it be done!" (Yul Brynner positively chewed the scenery when he intoned those lines.)

All kidding aside, your fine work on completing this project would certainly recommend you for the honor of managing the next edition, but quite frankly, I think a rest of at least two years would be in order. Pain tends to diminish with the passage of time. :mrgreen:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I would be be honored to oversee a new Forum Knife program if I could see it from beginning to end.
This particular year was simply jinxed from the beginning. It had nothing to do with the Gentlemen that proposed the idea,nothing to do with the way it was handled,it had nothing to do with our Italian Hosts,it had nothing to do with any member here at Talk Blade and it had nothing to do with luck....OK it was nothing but Bad Luck. :roll:

For the next round-
May I suggest a basic 13 inch Stiletto in Dark Horn ,Classic Bayonet Blade with a big "13" etch. I mean how cool is that?
An Italian Stiletto with "13" as the stamp and "Talk Blade" underneath. Talk Blade "13" Forum Knife.(2013)

Hey if we start now we might just have the knives on time :idea:

Contact Mr. Natch for details :lol:
Chuckyl

Post by Chuckyl »

I'm in!!!!!!!! :)
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Bonzo wrote:
john wrote:
TRYKER wrote:i'd like to say thanks to all involved ( u s customs excluded ) i'm sure no one will have any hard feelings, this was beyond the forums control. i hope all can put this behind us and move on. and i'll be the first to sign up if and when we decided to do another forum knife.
Hello Everyone,
Ditto for me.
I'm ready to sign up for the next forum knife; I'll be the second name on the list right after TRYKER.
Thank you to everyone involved who made this possible.
Thanks again,
John

Mr. John,

We have done a few forum knives here in the past with much quicker results, but the trick is to keep it simple, cheap, and within SKM's production line. What I propose, is an 11" black acrylic handled bayonet stiletto engraved "Vagrant Knives 03033".

I once had a 9" that I regret ever the day I got rid of it.

WHAT SAY YE, OL' PALS?

Best regards,

Bonz
I would be in for this one !
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

PM sent
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

Would we be better off considering an American maker, such as Ashville Steel/Paragon? Not sure how receptive an American maker would be to a small custom production run, but it would seem to avoid a lot of the problems we just encountered if they would.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I can't believe this is even being discussed...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I'm kind of diggin' Bonz's idea 8)

Oh about the Forum Knives- I worked late today and did not get any refunds made or knives mailed out but tomorrow will get all remaining knives and most refunds out.
Sorry for the delay.

Any complaints- Please send to Whippersnapper :wink:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Viking45 wrote:I would be be honored to oversee a new Forum Knife program if I could see it from beginning to end.
This particular year was simply jinxed from the beginning. It had nothing to do with the Gentlemen that proposed the idea,nothing to do with the way it was handled,it had nothing to do with our Italian Hosts,it had nothing to do with any member here at Talk Blade and it had nothing to do with luck....OK it was nothing but Bad Luck. :roll:

For the next round-
May I suggest a basic 13 inch Stiletto in Dark Horn ,Classic Bayonet Blade with a big "13" etch. I mean how cool is that?
An Italian Stiletto with "13" as the stamp and "Talk Blade" underneath. Talk Blade "13" Forum Knife.(2013)

Hey if we start now we might just have the knives on time :idea:

Contact Mr. Natch for details :lol:
sounds great butt, for an etch i'd like to see..''talk blades black beauty'' over ''13''
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

As the resident Sicboy13, I support a 2013 knife, with "13" on the blade :)

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

I do know there is no reason to beat a dead horse...but when you say no-one is to blame for it taking so long for the knives to get here, out "italian hosts'' included in that. Is that a joke comment?

Granted them getting lost is no-ones fault. But i think its pretty clear us as customers don't mean a thing to them in italy (not arthas fault, the makers). We basically don't matter, their market share is big enough and they sell so much that the little guys no longer matters. Just my opinion!

Which is fine, if you don't think the little guy matters, then don't take the order. But if you take the order, i would expect to be treated like a person. Not set aside like mid day trash....

Anyways...i would be down for another forum knife considering i opted not to get refund on the first! :D It will have to be just as sexy as the last one though. Not from Italy!
RayB

Post by RayB »

Sign me up for two.

RayB
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
Chrisadamley wrote: Granted them getting lost is no-ones fault. But i think its pretty clear us as customers don't mean a thing to them in italy (not arthas fault, the makers). We basically don't matter, their market share is big enough and they sell so much that the little guys no longer matters. Just my opinion!
You're right to say the delay are a fault of someone here in Maniago (of course, it took an year to produce the knives).

The problem is however different than "their market share is big enough": if the order was for 3500 knives, it would have been way worse. One really should come to Maniago to realize what the problem is with local artisans (I don't mean local bigger companies, those do work well and usually on time)... I think they are just not interested in producing more than the minimum required, like maybe painters or musicians.

M.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i think that alot of time was lost due to desions, blade styles 2??? scale material every body wanting this an wanting that, the long time for the funds to be collected. so if who ever was going to do another just said, stiletto, black scales, ''13'' on blade order here would cut about 6 months out of the order time.

just my 2 cents (before taxes)
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

In response to Chrisadamley's comment-

I do not know all the details but I will say this about our Italian hosts. The briar wood burl had to be special ordered for these knives and we all know that a hand made knife such as levers and stilettos are prone to a few problems.
Each of these Forum Knives had gorgeous wood grain,solid built,killer snap and I have said this 100 times but these knives had absolutely zero blade movement in any direction.

I assure you a handful of knives out 19 would have issues. Ask anyone that received a Forum Knife and I am sure they will agree with my statement.
I can only assume the ones lost along the way were as superb as the ones that made it. After seeing how nice these knives are it breaks my heart to know we will never see what the others are like.
There was not one knife in the batch that had the slightest blemish and all function perfectly.
I opened and closed each knife at least 3 or 4 times during the time I had them and my computer room smelled of the raw briar wood,the smell is awesome.

Yes I agree it took a long time but we know the Italian way of life is different than here in the USA and Canada. Perhaps we should have planned our forum knife program around the Italian Holiday. We could have chose a scale material they had on hand. We also had our own delays deciding the scale material,the style of knife and then we went back and forth on the blade style.
It was amazing the makers produced these knives so well and each numbered knife had the correct blade style and all function perfect. Buy 35 knives at random from Italy and see if they all work perfectly and have gorgeous scales.

This is not to mention our Italian hosts are going to eat the loss on the lost knives. If you ask me,I say we are incredibly blessed to have our Italian brothers and sisters.

So having said that- I say Salute' to all of those involved in the making of these knives.