Small unknown Picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

Small unknown Picklock

Post by Flicknifer »

I acquired this picklock in my travels. I got it from someone (I don't remember who) and I have no idea of its origin.

It fires really well and is pretty solid. I have a feelings it's old but the only markings on the tank are "Stainless Steel". It has a Rizzuto-type lanyard ring, which I hadn't seen on old stilettos. Is this a giveaway of it's origin?

Can someone identify it?
Attachments
picklock2.jpg
picklock2.jpg (156.6 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
picklock1.JPG
picklock1.JPG (103.96 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
niceguy2

Re: Small unknown Picklock

Post by niceguy2 »

That would be japanese , correct me if i`m wrong . :DImage
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Wow! You have one too. It's a great little knife, isn't it? Do you know when these were made?
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Flicknifer wrote:Wow! You have one too. It's a great little knife, isn't it? Do you know when these were made?
japan , :D
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Japan and made from very late 50s to mid 60s....offered for sale in stores that sell these things as late as late 60s as they did not sell as well since they were harder to close than the button open/button close ones. Nice little Japan knife......
Chuckyl

Post by Chuckyl »

Definitely Japan. I had one back in the early '60s...I think it got thrown out with my baseball cards...
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

I'm impressed by how well it's held up. It still flicks out nice and strong and locks up tight.

Did they ever make them in bigger sizes and does anyone here own one?
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

i`v e been told that the backspring on these is prone to breaking so be carefull not to pull up to hard when closing it , thats why you dont see to many of these anymore ... they all broke , mine is stamped YAX over stainless over japan . its a cool little example of what came outa Japan . and it sits centered and fires O.K. it just has old written all over it , Big brass button , D-stamp brass, fat body . its about 7+ inches i havent seen any much larger like these but they were made by the ton i`m sure. :D
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I had one that was a 9 incher.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

whippersnapper wrote:I had one that was a 9 incher.
It might have been you that told me about these ? thanks for the help to the post :)