Best Oil Ever (IMO)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

Best Oil Ever (IMO)

Post by dark2023 »

Ok, so I think I've found the best oil ever for auto-knives, especially OTFs.

I was short on WD-40 so I went to see if my grandfather (who lives close by) would loan me some oil. The man has a Woodshop and a whole cabinet of various oils.

He gave me a large tin of this MARVEL "Air-Tool Oil".

It amazing, it soaks into the blade very nicely leaving it all slick, smooth and shiny. It also, dosent hurt rubber like WD-40 will (incase your knife somehow has rubber in or on it). It soakes into skin very easily too, so it dosent leave my hands all greasy like WD-40 tends too. Lastly, and this surprised me, my OTF knife used to have a bit of spring twang when it closed (even just after being oiled with WD-40), now, NONE. it's utterly silent except for a slight "thwick" sound.

In my opinion i've never seen a better, cheaper oil.

This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Re: Best Oil Ever (IMO)

Post by tr4252 »

I keep a can of Marvel Mystery Oil for general use, don't know how close it to the air tool oil, but it works great in gauges, knives, etc.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

I thought it was a general rule that wd 40 was a cleaner and not a lubricant.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

wild zebra wrote:I thought it was a general rule that wd 40 was a cleaner and not a lubricant.
NOPENESS! IS a lubricant!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

I'm speaking in the knife world. It seems you always hear. Flush with wd-40 then apply a good lubricant. Well anyways, me personally I never use WD as a lubricant.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

This should answer any WD 40 questions.
Bill stated these facts in his section quite some time back.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

I love WD 40 but I usually use it to clean and then use an oil.
Another fact that may or may not be mentioned- The good ole 3 In One oil is made by the WD 40 folks.
They even kind of smell alike.

As for the Marvel,I recall using the Marvel Mystery Oil many,many years ago.
I don't think there is anything you can't use it for...however I would not recommend it for syrup on waffles,has a bad after taste :lol:
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Also, it isn't so hot to put in your car engine. An old timer suggested it to me, about 20 years ago, and the results weren't so good.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tr4252 wrote:Also, it isn't so hot to put in your car engine. An old timer suggested it to me, about 20 years ago, and the results weren't so good.

Tom
:lol: I heard that too but luckily never put the stuff in.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

tr4252 wrote:Also, it isn't so hot to put in your car engine. An old timer suggested it to me, about 20 years ago, and the results weren't so good.

Tom
WD or Marvel mystery oil?? I've used MMO for years in my car for years. Put in the gas it seems to lube upper cyliders and valve guides nicely. Never tried it on knives but my new favorite is Quick release for most every type of knife now that it's thinner than it used to be.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.