New experiment with old school ProTech finishes.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
horizonod

New experiment with old school ProTech finishes.

Post by horizonod »

Do you guys remember the splash or "Jazz" anodizing Dave used to use on the ProTechs? It was AWESOME and far superior in appearence. What happened is that the look became so popular that the company that used to do it priced themselves out of the knife market and started doing artsy hardware for rock star guitars and other high end customers. I liked the old school "Jazz" and worked it out to have them do some of the old school cool anodizing on some ProTech knives.

We got short run of prototype Dorus and Large Dons done to see how they would look and they are SWEET!!

I'm stoked!! I LOVED these finishes enough to put the effort into bringing them back. We'll be changing up the colors as we go along and have some Jalepeno Runts, Emersons and Godsons in the works.

Here are some pictures of some of these new old school finished ProTech jewels.
This isn't all of them but a good representation. Let me know what you think and what colors and patterns trip your trigger.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: New experiment with old school ProTech finishes.

Post by Vagrant »

Great idea :!:
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

TOO COOL!

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Beautiful :!: 8) :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Snazzy!
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

Wow!!!
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I usually don't like such finishes, but I think this is an exception, those are awfully pretty. How do they hold up?
Life has no value, Death has a price
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

I have a couple of old school Protech jazz finishes from the same company and they have held up really well. Most of the quality anodizing is surprisingly tough.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Very colorful, artistic, kind of psychedelic 1969-ish and the knives are wicked cool too. We've all seen this type of art before, but I just can't remember the artist who started it. When and if it comes to me I'll edit this post. BTW I like it.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
komodo

Post by komodo »

No doubt about it, they all look good, BUT..........

"the company that used to do it priced themselves out of the knife market"

It depends on how badly one wants one of these beauties for the added expense. Are they $20, $30, $40, more, or are they $200, $300, $400 more. Personally, there are some knives there that I'd only be willing to pay $5 extra for the Jazz. Then again, there are others there that I'd be HAPPY to only pay an extra $100 for! :mrgreen:
If it's not fun, why do it?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I LOVE the ProTech Jazz (I have 3 Godfathers with that finish), but those above are just GAUDY!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

john wrote:Very colorful, artistic, kind of psychedelic 1969-ish and the knives are wicked cool too. We've all seen this type of art before, but I just can't remember the artist who started it. When and if it comes to me I'll edit this post. BTW I like it.
Reminds me of Jackson Pollock
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

3rd,4th and 5th from bottom are my faves.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Very cool designs. Reminds me of the days at Woodstock. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

komodo wrote:No doubt about it, they all look good, BUT..........

"the company that used to do it priced themselves out of the knife market"

It depends on how badly one wants one of these beauties for the added expense. Are they $20, $30, $40, more, or are they $200, $300, $400 more. Personally, there are some knives there that I'd only be willing to pay $5 extra for the Jazz. Then again, there are others there that I'd be HAPPY to only pay an extra $100 for! :mrgreen:
The anodizer must have re thunk his pricing because they are surprizingly affordable. I think the average upcharge is in the $40 - $50 range which, IMHO, is a very fair price for a unique finish like this, especially on a Protech. I like this anodizing better than the one Microtech uses and Microtech gets a HUGE bump on their splash finishes. As an example, add a splash finish and mirror blade to a Microtech HALO v and it more than triples the retail price of an already pricey knife.

On the ProTech Dorus the price of a solid frame with splash / jazz treatment is the same price as a Doru with micarta scales. Not bad at all. http://nicnac.net/en-us/dept_490.html